Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 101 of 198
    Looks awesome. Too bad it is Windows...I really like some of the latest Windows hardware...
  • Reply 102 of 198
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    Ben Bajarin tweeted that the traditional PC category matters more to Microsoft than Apple. Maybe so because they don't have a popular mobile phone OS but that's some spin. Microsoft is targeting Apple's traditional Mac customer base. Would be a crying shame to see Apple cede this space to someone else.
    Agreed. Apple need a Mac product event, like, tomorrow.
    So it's just about having an event? I hope they blow us away tomorrow. Just an oled touch bar replacing function keys isn't blow away.
    Blow us away how exactly? Sounds pretty ethereal to me. Sounds like the perfect setup to claim “BORING” no matter what is released. Okay, here’s my prediction. No matter what is announced tomorrow you will be here shitting on it. Let’s see if I’m right.
    I'll be shitting on it if I think it's boring, safe or predictable. That's what I loved about the Mac Pro. It was none of those things. But after Apple announced it they basically forgot it existed.
    icoco3
  • Reply 103 of 198
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Competition is good. I'm not buying one of these, but if the market pushes Apple to give their desktops some attention, I have no objection.

Your move, Apple.

ration alpalomine80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 104 of 198
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?
    As a photo retoucher of 27 years, if someone touches my screen I scream at them and then stop and take out my windex.

That being said, this is a nice looking machine. No way would it ever get me to use windows for the first time in my life though.
    ireland
  • Reply 105 of 198
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

Yes!  "Surface" describes a 2D space.  It's ironic that the 1st half of the preso was pushing 3D Creativity update to Windows 10.

Seems like fairly limited thinking to me. Again, I get what you are trying to say, but not all surfaces are 2D...the surface of the Earth, for example. Every 3D object has a surface.

Regardless, I never took the usage by MS of "Surface" to mean a geometric shape (or barrier as was stated). I simply took it as "work area". It is a surface, which yes in this implementation is 2D, which I can directly interact with (as opposed to using a mouse/keyboard) to get things done. Doesn't the pad in iPad hearken back to a notebook or writing pad? Why is that not similarly limited in your mind? A lot of people thought that was a pretty stupid name, too, when it was first unveiled. Time and innovation has blinded us to those initial reactions.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 106 of 198
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I love all the concern-trolls having a fucking panic attack (like sog35 - of course) over this machine. It's a fucking THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR DESKTOP. Yes, it's nice, but this isn't some new category, nor game-changing, nor will it move the needle in any significant way. It's a NICHE product. The only REAL difference between this and an iMac is there's a touchscreen slapped on, and Apple has made it clear they have no interest adding touch of macOS- which makes complete sense. For every one of these machines that is sold, Apple will sell 1,000 iPhones and a couple hundred Macs. Settle the fuck down. 
    irelandericthehalfbeeration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 198
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Well, no battery or docking station so should be miles better than the surface pros.  Looks pretty slick too, damn slick. Nice to see Microsoft pull together the tech from the big surface tables and the tablets, the more I watch the video the more it really impresses me.  Got some punters who will probably pick up at least one of these to try out.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 108 of 198
    sog35 said:
    Microsoft getting better at PR.

"Surface Studio is without a doubt the best digital drawing experience I have ever tried."

so a guy who admits to have a good relationship with the Surface team, gets a free Surface Studio weeks ahead of launch, says its great.

LOL. talked about biased.

Regardless Apple looks like a old doodoo company now. 
    Lack of innovation is finally hurting them.
    And it starts with Tim 'boring' Cook
    Why I said getting better at PR.  Do people not get narrative and perception? Right or wrong often times perception is reality and the perception and narrative out there is other companies are out innovating Apple.  It's up to Apple to change that narrative. I see Surface and Windows 10 commercials on TV all the time. I can't remember the last time I saw an iPad or Mac commercial on TV.

EDIT: and now Apple just announced that AirPods are being delayed because they're not ready. 

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/26/apple-delays-airpod-rollout-dont-expect-them-in-october/
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 109 of 198
    slurpy said:
    I swear to God you're some kind of schizophrenic, your account seems to be controlled by 10 different posters, all of who are unstable and make random bouts of sensationalism, either by defending Apple or shitting on them in the most extreme way like you did now, with no basis in facts.
    Indeed. That started shortly after he dropped his third Solipsism-named account for this new ‘Soli’. Very strange.
    irelandwonkothesane
  • Reply 110 of 198
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Ben Bajarin tweeted that the traditional PC category matters more to Microsoft than Apple. Maybe so because they don't have a popular mobile phone OS but that's some spin. Microsoft is targeting Apple's traditional Mac customer base. Would be a crying shame to see Apple cede this space to someone else.
    So it's just about having an event? I hope they blow us away tomorrow. Just an oled touch bar replacing function keys isn't blow away.
    So the event hasn't happened yet and you already know just what it is? Interesting.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 198

slurpy said:
    I love all the concern-trolls having a fucking panic attack (like sog35 - of course) over this machine. It's a fucking THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR DESKTOP. Yes, it's nice, but this isn't some new category, nor game-changing, nor will it move the needle in any significant way. It's a NICHE product. The only REAL difference between this and an iMac is there's a touchscreen slapped on, and Apple has made it clear they have no interest adding touch of macOS- which makes complete sense. For every one of these machines that is sold, Apple will sell 1,000 iPhones and a couple hundred Macs. Settle the fuck down. 
    lol
    tallest skil
  • Reply 112 of 198
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Maybe but you can all but guarantee the Apple event will be just as boring as the last few... look at what Apple has released (to date) this year that is truly innovative... or last year for that matter??? I love Apple but last few years for me, they just aren't the creative/exciting company they used to be...
    I need to agree.

iPhone6, iPhone6s, iPhone7 - not innovative at all. Just bigger screens.

Apple Watch - simply an iPhone accessory at this point

iPad - been stagnant. Dropping sales proves the point

Mac - nothing special

Lets face it. Tim Cook and the current leadership is more concerned about keeping Apple profits up than innovation.

Cook needs to be fired.
    Ive needs to be reassigned.
    Apple needs a new CEO with Vision and Passion. Two things Cook lacks. Guy is so friken boring every single event.
    Ive has just lost it in his unending desire to make things thinner. WE need new design blood.

What the fuck? I swear to God you're some kind of schizophrenic, your account seems to be controlled by 10 different posters, all of who are unstable and make random bouts of sensationalism, either by defending Apple or shitting on them in the most extreme way like you did now, with no basis in facts. The last 3 generation of iPhones introduced just "bigger screens"?  What a terrible, intellectually dishonest troll you are. You get these panic and manic attacks every time any other company introduces a new product, it's ridiculously sad. I've asked you to seek help dozens of times, as have others on this board, and I still stick by that. Get some help for your own mental health. 
    I think you are the one who needs professional help.

cursing like a drunk sailor to a total stranger on the internet. go get help. soon.
    Cursing on the internet, compared to 11,000+ of troll posts? Yeah, I think I'm ok. I love how people like you pretend to be offended by cursing, when all your posts contain melting down, and shitting on Apple's employees and executives, alleging that they're horrible, useless people like you've done time and time again. You're a stranger, yes, but 11,000+ posts is enough for me to conclude that you're a complete sociopath that needs to be on some kind of meds. It's out of goodwill that I advise you to find a hobby besides ripping your hair out at Apple in outrage with ranting posts every 5 seconds, not for my own benefit. You've been doing it for years. Imagine what you could have accomplished in that time had you invested that energy in something more productive? Maybe, just maybe you could have attained 1% of the accomplishments that Cook has, instead of demanding his head all the time. 
    irelandtmayRayz2016fastasleepminglok50watto_cobrawonkothesane
  • Reply 113 of 198
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Kinda strange to see tech pundits lauding Microsoft as "out innovating Apple" when their base design strategies are all rooted in expanding on ideas that were pioneered by Apple - even down to how new product presentations are run. Perhaps one-upping or "imitavation" is a better term. That being said many of the things Microsoft is doing are being well executed and they have finally realized that there is little value in racing to the bottom by chumming mediocre cash cow software into the commodity PC market segment. Microsoft (and now Google) have finally caught on to the fact that marketshare and profitability don't always go hand in hand. Apple's known this for >15 years but these other guys are just now catching up. This will definitely hurt the likes of HP, Lenovo, and Dell but will have little impact on Apple because Apple is already a premium brand with a loyal following that's well entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. 

I'm not a fan at all of touch screen PCs for traditional office productivity, programming, etc., but I can definitely see where they have their place in niche markets. The interactive electronic work surface concept that Microsoft is showing with its Surface Studio product would play very nicely in air traffic control, military tactical HMIs (radar, sonar, fire control system operator consoles, etc.), collaborative design, as well as industrial HMI systems - if they can be hardened and ruggedized for such uses. The price point isn't egregious for those type of applications. For the typical cellar dweller PC consumer the Surface Studio is overkill, too pricey, and an inferior value to the Apple iMac.

I'm glad to see Microsoft trying to apply touch centricity across the full stack of personal computing. It's a good case study in seeing where touch works effectively and where it's simply gratuitous screen smudging. Somebody has to try it with real customers. While it is easily more "natural" than pounding out ideas on a cryptic keyboard purposely designed for inefficiency the future of human-machine interaction has to approach the way that humans naturally communicate with other humans - voice and visible gestures, not poking fingers.
    ration al
  • Reply 114 of 198
    dewme said:
    Kinda strange to see tech pundits lauding Microsoft as "out innovating Apple" when their base design strategies are all rooted in expanding on ideas that were pioneered by Apple - even down to how new product presentations are run. Perhaps one-upping or "imitavation" is a better term. That being said many of the things Microsoft is doing are being well executed and they have finally realized that there is little value in racing to the bottom by chumming mediocre cash cow software into the commodity PC market segment. Microsoft (and now Google) have finally caught on to the fact that marketshare and profitability don't always go hand in hand. Apple's known this for >15 years but these other guys are just now catching up. This will definitely hurt the likes of HP, Lenovo, and Dell but will have little impact on Apple because Apple is already a premium brand with a loyal following that's well entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. 

I'm not a fan at all of touch screen PCs for traditional office productivity, programming, etc., but I can definitely see where they have their place in niche markets. The interactive electronic work surface concept that Microsoft is showing with its Surface Studio product would play very nicely in air traffic control, military tactical HMIs (radar, sonar, fire control system operator consoles, etc.), collaborative design, as well as industrial HMI systems - if they can be hardened and ruggedized for such uses. The price point isn't egregious for those type of applications. For the typical cellar dweller PC consumer the Surface Studio is overkill, too pricey, and an inferior value to the Apple iMac.

I'm glad to see Microsoft trying to apply touch centricity across the full stack of personal computing. It's a good case study in seeing where touch works effectively and where it's simply gratuitous screen smudging. Somebody has to try it with real customers. While it is easily more "natural" than pounding out ideas on a cryptic keyboard purposely designed for inefficiency the future of human-machine interaction has to approach the way that humans naturally communicate with other humans - voice and visible gestures, not poking fingers.
    I found the whole event lacking tbh and the presenters rubbed me the wrong way. Don't like that main guy at all. He's no class and misspoke common words. I found him to be acting convincing rather than being convincing. Whole thing felt parody to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 198
    I'm a Mac guy and have never preferred Windows.  That said, I honestly think this Surface Studio is very cool and Apple should take notice.  Apple has become too "closed" in their views of the future of personal computing.  They need to open up their horizons and take some chances.  How long have people been asking for a touch screen iMac, for instance.  Stop dictating what you think we want and need. Listen to your users.  You have a shitload of money to do it with.  I love my iPhone and iPad. However, I still want and need a professional desktop Mac where I can edit my video, create my music, and use for my photography with no limitations.  My eyes and neck are getting tire of looking at a small screen.  Oh well, let's see what they give us tomorrow.
  • Reply 116 of 198
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    Blow us away how exactly? Sounds pretty ethereal to me. Sounds like the perfect setup to claim “BORING” no matter what is released. Okay, here’s my prediction. No matter what is announced tomorrow you will be here shitting on it. Let’s see if I’m right.
    I'll be shitting on it if I think it's boring, safe or predictable. That's what I loved about the Mac Pro. It was none of those things. But after Apple announced it they basically forgot it existed.
     Er … no. You'll shit on it no matter what they say, because, y'know … Beats.

I'll give them a fair shake, but they haven't done a real update in more than a year. If they don't come up with something at least as good (on paper) as this Surface thing, then the are going to get torn apart by Sog along with people who matter.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 198
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    lkrupp said:
    So after all these years both Google and Microsoft suddenly realize that Apple was right all along. Controlling the software AND the hardware is a good thing, that the Walled Garden approach isn’t so bad after all. I guess pigs do fly.
    At the same time, Apple may realize that touchscreen in notebooks and desktops can be useful and innovative, instead of a "toaster + fridge".  Looks like everyone has something to learn. 
  • Reply 118 of 198
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm a Mac guy and have never preferred Windows.

and that's where I stopped reading.

irelandnolamacguy
  • Reply 119 of 198
    Wow $4200 price for model in video? Where are all the PC fan boys saying its a Microsoft premium and I can make for $1000 and blow it away.
    irelandration al
  • Reply 120 of 198

What I suspect will happen at Apple's event tomorrow: it will be all about the Mac laptops (Airs and Pros).

There may be ARM A10X-based laptops running macOS.

If necessary, Apple can change a few Keynote slides to make prices more competitive with the Surface Laptops.

Mention of the Mac Pro, iMac, Mini, iPads will if any, will reference another event to be held later.

IMO, Microsoft finessed Apple with the announcement of the Surface Studio and the Windows Creators Update at this time.

However, few if of these things will be available in any quantity until Jan-Feb 2017.

Apple has all the components/talent necessary to create products that equal or exceed those that MS announced.

Apple could book a 1984-type Super Bowl (Feb 5) ad to pique interest in an Mac/iPad event.

See why Feb 7, 2017 won't be like...

Then, on Feb 7, hold the event at the new Apple Campus, announce new Macs/iPads with immediate availability.

edited October 2016 ration al