Sharp CEO supposedly confirms Apple to use OLED in next-generation iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jaffa said:
    I didn't realise before I read this that Apple are still using IPS LCD - in a 2016/2017 device, that's hilarious. OLD-tech display, no HD on the small phone, no SD slot, can't copy files on and off. But, but, but you can get it in shiny black - hahahahahahahh, I have to stop or I'll wet myself.
    OK, so you're clammoring for the latest buzzwords AND also SNEAKERNET? Do you even understand how ridiculous YOU are being?

If the display performs at the top of its field (see DisplayMate link earlier in this thread), why does it matter what kind of letters are used to describe the display technology?
    edited October 2016 doozydozenrandominternetpersonlolliver
  • Reply 42 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Touch Bar on the Mac is a strong suggestion that it may come to the iPhone and iPad, as a separate screen that works in concert with the main screen, just like on the new MacBook Pro's - not as a display, but as an input device — again, just like Apple positions Touch Bar. Being a second screen, the system can manage it separately. The main screen can be off while the Touch Bar is on, for example.
    I don't get your thinking. Wouldn't the Touch Bar signify the exact opposite.
    macseeker
  • Reply 43 of 81
    dws-2 said:
    I'm actually really happy with the current Apple iPhone screens. If OLED makes them better or improves battery life, that's great, but the screen is bright and colorful, and from what I hear its color accuracy is basically perfect. 
    Basically it'll improve black levels more than anything. That may be the phone that gets special treatment in iOS having a dark theme exclusive to it.
    edited October 2016 canukstormdoozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 81

jaffa said:
    I didn't realise before I read this that Apple are still using IPS LCD - in a 2016/2017 device, that's hilarious. OLD-tech display, no HD on the small phone, no SD slot, can't copy files on and off. But, but, but you can get it in shiny black - hahahahahahahh, I have to stop or I'll wet myself.
    Why doesn't AI have a troll button?
    you can use the Flag link and comment that a user is a troll, or using personal insults, etc. 

Sure. But think of the entertainment value a third button marked Troll would add.
    ration albaconstangdoozydozenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 81
    Soli said:
    darkvader said:
    I am NOT looking forward to OLED.  It's got a shorter lifespan than LCD panels.  The darker blacks are nice enough, but I'd prefer a phone that lasts longer.
    That's understandable, but how long do you use your iPhone for? Me, I'm updating every year so for me this isn't a problem. For those updating every 2-5 years this won't be a problem. OLED has come a long way from when smartphone vendors started using it.

I sell my used iPhones every year when I upgrade. If there was a known issue with screen quality over time then the resale value of my iPhone goes down. 
    baconstangRayz2016doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 46 of 81
    I hate that the 4.7" iPhone gets treated like a second class citizen. Not everyone wants a phablet. Apple brought OIS to the 4.7" model. That leads me to believe bringing stuff to 5.5" model only isn't technical but for upsell purposes.
    what nonsense. apple engineering VP said specifically that removing the legacy headphone port gave them more space to add more stuff and he cited the camera specifically. not to mention miniaturization is a process and improves over time. 

but you knew that. 
    Did he cite OIS specifically? Do you have a link to a tear down or comment from Apple that says OIS was only possible on the 4.7" model because they removed the headphone jack? Maybe that's the case but it could also be the case they want people to spend $100 more and screen size alone wouldn't be enough of an upsell.

Remember this is the same company that removed all the USB-A ports from the new MacBook Pro (but kept the headphone jack) yet was too tight to throw a dongle in the box. So if you want to charge your phone using your new MacBook Pro you need to buy a $25 USB-C to Lightning cable. And if you have a bunch of USB-A peripherals you need to spend $19 on a USB to USB-C dongle. And if you want to use the headphones that came with your iPhone 7 to listen to music on your new MacBook Pro, well I guess your screwed right now. Apple has turned into the dongle company. These are all the dongles they sell right now:

edited October 2016 perkedeldoozydozen
  • Reply 47 of 81
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Soli said:
    darkvader said:
    I am NOT looking forward to OLED.  It's got a shorter lifespan than LCD panels.  The darker blacks are nice enough, but I'd prefer a phone that lasts longer.
    That's understandable, but how long do you use your iPhone for? Me, I'm updating every year so for me this isn't a problem. For those updating every 2-5 years this won't be a problem. OLED has come a long way from when smartphone vendors started using it.

I sell my used iPhones every year when I upgrade. If there was a known issue with screen quality over time then the resale value of my iPhone goes down. 
    I tend to upgrade every 2-3 years, by buying a 1-2 year old used phone.  I tend to give the old one to some unfortunate person who was having to suffer through using an Android, usually after changing the battery.

I have an interest in having it continue to work as long as possible.

I'm running into an issue with that this year, as my 6+ is showing signs of touch disease, not sure if I'm going to be able to see where the lawsuit goes or if I'm going to have to get the chips replaced.  I just got it last year, so it's not time to replace it yet, and other than that, it's still very much a good phone.
    doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 48 of 81
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So if you want to charge your phone using your new MacBook Pro you need to buy a $25 USB-C to Lightning cable. And if you have a bunch of USB-A peripherals you need to spend $19 on a USB to USB-C dongle. And if you want to use the headphones that came with your iPhone 7 to listen to music on your new MacBook Pro, well I guess your screwed right now. Apple has turned into the dongle company. These are all the dongles they sell right now:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!
    lolliversuddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jaffa said:
    You are confusing LTPS with IPS. You should try to read the article one more time and see how you do.
    doozydozenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 81

Statement 1: "if Apple doesn't walk down this path and transform itself, there will be no innovation."
    Statement 2: "It is a crisis but it is also an opportunity.""

Both are false.  Apple continues to innovate in many ways, including the recent Wide Color inclusion. And this certainly is not a "crisis"; that's pure hyperbole.
    I expect you're overreacting to a poor translation.  I think he's just saying that change is hard, but necessary.  Not controversial at all.
    My thought too. Chinese doesn't lend itself to temporal subtleties. Things sometimes sound a bit apocalyptic in English translation.
    edited October 2016 doozydozenrandominternetperson
  • Reply 51 of 81
    Soli said:
    So if you want to charge your phone using your new MacBook Pro you need to buy a $25 USB-C to Lightning cable. And if you have a bunch of USB-A peripherals you need to spend $19 on a USB to USB-C dongle. And if you want to use the headphones that came with your iPhone 7 to listen to music on your new MacBook Pro, well I guess your screwed right now. Apple has turned into the dongle company. These are all the dongles they sell right now:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!
    It not. And it's not FUD. Those are all the dongles Apple is selling right now.
    perkedeldoozydozen
  • Reply 52 of 81
    Soli said:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!
    It it BS because you said that "you need to buy a $25 USB-C to Lightning cable" from Apple's website, then showed a picture of adapters that they sell and called them "the dongle company."

Having pre-ordered my new MBP I also ordered some cables that support USB-C.

Here's a USB-C-to-USB-A adapter for $8.99.

Here's a USB 3.0 USB-C Male to USB-A Female Cable in 6", 18", and 36" for $11.99, $12.99, and $14.99, respectively.

Here's a USB-C to 4x USB-A 3.0 Adapter for $12.99.

And that's just 3 of 1281 products they sell that support USB-C, which is a USB standard that I predict will be around for a very, very, very long time. Additionally, that's just from one vendor. A quick look on Amazon found Lightning-to-USB-C cable for under $10 with a 4.3 out of 5 rating.

Personally, I plug my iDevices into my Mac so rarely now that they've had WiFI syncing for many years, that I bought a Monoprice adapter just in case as it will work with any device that uses USB-A.
    edited October 2016 doozydozenai46nolamacguylolliver
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Soli said:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!
    See if you can grasp this fact about the new MBP's: there's no room for USB A. They are too thin. If you think Apple is going to make a thicker body just to accommodate that ancient port, you don't deserve to be commenting on what Apple does. 

You people who are so dongle-averse are the worst of first-world whiners.
    edited October 2016 doozydozenai46nolamacguylolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 81
    flaneur said:
    Soli said:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!
    See if you can grasp this fact about the new MBP's: there's no room for USB A. They are too thin. If you think Apple is going to make a thicker body just to accommodate that ancient port, you don't deserve to be commenting on what Apple does. 

I guess I'm "dongle-averse"—if there is such a thing—so after I spent thousands on a new MBP I jumped to Monoprice to buy a bunch of USB-C cables and spend relatively no money so that I'll have cables that will suit my needs for many years to come.

The only thing I'm missing is having a powerful enough PSU in different locations, but that will much cheaper than having to buy a new MBP PSU with attached cable from Apple for all the places I go or having to pack up and travel with a single PSU, which I find annoying. USB-C makes the future bright. You can even buy a USB-C cable that has a light on it to show you when your machine is charged or one with a breakaway magnetic connector—both are inexpensive.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Soli said:
    flaneur said:
    Soli said:

[FUD image]
    Bullshit!

I guess I'm "dongle-averse"—if there is such a thing—so after I spent thousands on a new MBP I jumped to Monoprice to buy a bunch of USB-C cables and spend relatively no money so that I'll have cables that will suit my needs for many years to come.

The only thing I'm missing is having a powerful enough PSU in different locations, but that will much cheaper than having to buy a new MBP PSU with attached cable from Apple for all the places I go or having to pack up and travel with a single PSU, which I find annoying. USB-C makes the future bright. You can even buy a USB-C cable that has a light on it to show you when your machine is charged or one with a breakaway magnetic connector—both are inexpensive.
    You don't seem so averse to me, but more dongle-accepting, like most any reasonable person.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people get so worked up over adapters. I actually like adapters. They're like little pieces of handshaking technology. Curiously satisfying, in a way, especially when you find the right one on the display rack or the website. 

edited October 2016 nolamacguylolliver
  • Reply 56 of 81
    I'm more pissed that we can't use the new standard Lightning EarPods that ship with iPhone 7 for a wired connection to the new MBP without needing the included dongle. Why include the headphone jack if you describe it as archaic? If you design both devices would you not account for this? Would it not make a ton more sense to give the new MBP Lightning for headphones to ensure consistency with iPhone going forward and throw in that little headphone to Lightning dongle for those who need it.

That headphone port bugs me. If you're going to kill the port, own that decision and really kill it. Everything that's not Apple is going to switch to USBc anyway. I only wish USBc was physically smaller and I further wish Apple embraced it were it equal to in size or smaller than Lightning. One port for everything that's not wireless should be the way. I wish that USB group had gotten their finger out and thought for a moment that this connector port would be in every more small devices going forward. They didn't go far enough. They in fact dug their own grave as wireless power and everything else will be pushed quicker thanks to their clunky connector.
    edited October 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 57 of 81
    ireland said:
    I'm more pissed that we can't use the new standard Lightning EarPods that ship with iPhone 7 for a wired connection to the new MBP without needing the included dongle. Why include the headphone jack if you describe it as archaic? Would it not make a ton more sense to give the new MBP Lightning for headphones to ensure consistency with iPhone going forward and throw in that little headphone to Lightning dongle for those who need it.
    1. There's room for it on a laptop still. This is in line with the philosophy that the entire package rules. No reason to drop it till there's no room.

2. Is it possible that audio will move to a USB 3 port? Then your adapter would be USB 3 male to Lightning female. Or it will be in some future dock?
    nolamacguylolliver
  • Reply 58 of 81
    flaneur said:
    ireland said:
    I'm more pissed that we can't use the new standard Lightning EarPods that ship with iPhone 7 for a wired connection to the new MBP without needing the included dongle. Why include the headphone jack if you describe it as archaic? Would it not make a ton more sense to give the new MBP Lightning for headphones to ensure consistency with iPhone going forward and throw in that little headphone to Lightning dongle for those who need it.
    1. There's room for it on a laptop still. This is in line with the philosophy that the entire package rules. No reason to drop it till there's no room.

2. Is it possible that audio will move to a USB 3 port? Then your adapter would be USB 3 male to Lightning female. Or it will be in some future dock?

Good God.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    flaneur said:
    Soli said:

You don't seem so averse to me, but more dongle-accepting, like most any reasonable person.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people get so worked up over adapters. I actually like adapters. They're like little pieces of handshaking technology. Curiously satisfying, in a way, especially when you find the right one on the display rack or the website. 
    I certainly don't want dongles or adapters if I don't have to use them, but I do want a new MBP, I do think these MBPs are brilliant, and so I bought several cables with the proper connectors on each end to suit my needs.

But I agree, people getting upset over having to spend $5 or $10 on a cable or adapter after spending thousands on a MBP is silly. Honestly, I don't think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone that bought a new MBP that is complaining about having to pay for an adapter or cable—it's the people that have no plans to buy the new machines now and are probably not upgrading their iPhone or iPad until USB-C-to-Lightning cables come with them that are whining.
    lolliverRayz2016
  • Reply 60 of 81
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    bluefire1 said:
    I hate that the 4.7" iPhone gets treated like a second class citizen. Not everyone wants a phablet. Apple brought OIS to the 4.7" model. That leads me to believe bringing stuff to 5.5" model only isn't technical but for upsell purposes.
    Fully agree. The 4.7" iPhone shouldn't the stepchild of the 5.5" model. When people buy Apple products, they're willing to pay a premium for the devices, so preference, not cost, is the deciding factor.
    The two models should be equal in everything except size.
    Unless, of course, OIS ust didn't fit in the smaller phone at the time. However, in general, I agree that the smaller phone should have the same features and performance wherever possible.
    edited October 2016 baconstang