Rare reports of poor image quality on iPhone 7 Plus circulate, no root cause known

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    francoliu said:
    francoliu said:
    First post for me, please be kind.  I've actually been complaining to my wife about this since the first day i got the 7 plus.  For me the images from the 2x camera are just plain bad - they literally look worse than the digital camera when the FIRST iPhone came out 9 years ago. Pixelated, lack of clarity, and light metering seems off too - I've taken shots side by side with my phone and my wife's iPhone 6 and there's no question the iPhone 6 quality is better in terms of clarity and light handling.

I've got a genius bar appt tomorrow (made it last week, even before this article was posted) -- will be happy to bring this article to show them that I'm not making it up.
    Will you post here with an update?
    Well here's the update after going to my local Genius Bar:

The good - the offered to exchange the phone for a new one -- they had none in stock so I'll have to wait a few days. No big deal.

The bad - they basically blew me off. Even looking at the pictures (which like Burlimonster wrote in the previous post are awful) they were unimpressed.  They had me talk to their "expert photographer" Genius who actually said to me that, hey, "this is a phone camera" -- he has a 7+ and says he just uses it as a place marker for shots he goes back to shoot later with his "real" camera.  I cannot imagine Apple Marketing (or any Apple management for that matter) would be happy with that answer. 

I showed them the article from AppleInsider and they said "we don't acknowledge articles from websites like that", and that "if there's a real problem, Apple Engineering will let us know." *eyeroll*

I am a little worried that this is just what the 7+ camera is, and that the camera actually just stinks.  Will post an update once I get the new phone.
    I've just got a new iphone7 and the first shot that I did let me completely surprised.... the picture quality was really bad! Compared to my old iphone5 the quality is so low that the picture looks like watercolor simply because the noise reduction algorithm is very aggressive and delete any details and color. 
    I also shoot also in RAW and made edit with photoshop. The RAW file is good therefore it's not hardware problem.
    Have you you received the new iPhone? Do you still have such problem?
    thanks. 
  • Reply 42 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    francoliu said:
    francoliu said:
    First post for me, please be kind.  I've actually been complaining to my wife about this since the first day i got the 7 plus.  For me the images from the 2x camera are just plain bad - they literally look worse than the digital camera when the FIRST iPhone came out 9 years ago. Pixelated, lack of clarity, and light metering seems off too - I've taken shots side by side with my phone and my wife's iPhone 6 and there's no question the iPhone 6 quality is better in terms of clarity and light handling.

I've got a genius bar appt tomorrow (made it last week, even before this article was posted) -- will be happy to bring this article to show them that I'm not making it up.
    Will you post here with an update?
    Well here's the update after going to my local Genius Bar:

The good - the offered to exchange the phone for a new one -- they had none in stock so I'll have to wait a few days. No big deal.

The bad - they basically blew me off. Even looking at the pictures (which like Burlimonster wrote in the previous post are awful) they were unimpressed.  They had me talk to their "expert photographer" Genius who actually said to me that, hey, "this is a phone camera" -- he has a 7+ and says he just uses it as a place marker for shots he goes back to shoot later with his "real" camera.  I cannot imagine Apple Marketing (or any Apple management for that matter) would be happy with that answer. 

I showed them the article from AppleInsider and they said "we don't acknowledge articles from websites like that", and that "if there's a real problem, Apple Engineering will let us know." *eyeroll*

I am a little worried that this is just what the 7+ camera is, and that the camera actually just stinks.  Will post an update once I get the new phone.
    It was a bit of a fob off but the no qualms offer of an exchange was good. It's important that you take these things back if you are not fully satisfied as, if you were to just shrug it off as a camera limitation, Apple would not have the stats to gauge the incidence.

The genius shouldn't have made the placeholder comment. My wife's iPhone 6 takes great pictures for a camera phone although Apple's camera app seems very limited. The iPhone 7 should be able to improve on the 6.

Good luck with the replacement.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    During these days I tried and compared several iPhone 7 of my friends and colleagues.
    all of them have the same bad image quality.
    I compared the same shot with iPhone 6s and the difference is simply astonishing ... 6s is much better. 
    iphone7 gives always watercolour effect and strong contrast. Pictures looks more unnatural.
    I'm professional photographer and I noticed this issue since the first time I used my new iphone7. Other people after have seen the comparison also realised that there is something wrong.
    It's incredible how around the web this issue is poorly reported and some big testing labs such as DxO, DPreviw and so on, say always how good is the iphone7 picture..... crazy eh!