New MacBook Pro models reportedly incompatible with certain Thunderbolt 3 devices [ux2]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    "A follow-up post from Plugable notes macOS Sierra is incompatible with existing Certified Thunderbolt 3 devices released prior to November 2016. Specifically, Apple reportedly requires TI's second-generation TPS65983 chipset for full compatibility. " tbh that's not great from apple. If the early TI chipsets were indeed certified to Thunderbolt 3 spec then they should be compatible. Surely a firmware or driver update would rectify.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So basically Pluggable is pissing and moaning because they made a product that is no longer compatible with the new MacBook Pro and they're trying to make Apple look bad because of it and its not even Apple's fault. Where are all of these supposed "other incompatible products"? The only incompatible product I'm hearing about is this stupid Pluggable device. 
  • Reply 43 of 56
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    mknelson said:
    In other news, Apple grabs 103.6% of smartphone industry profits in Q3 while 2nd place Samsung grabs 0.9%

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/apple-iphone-grabs-104-of-smartphone-industry-profit-in-q3/
    How can you grab more than 100% of something? If a smartphone maker reports a loss that's not extra profit for Apple.
    Yes, you can.

Say the overall industry profit is $1,000,000,000

Apple made 103.6%. That's $1,036,000,000
    Samsung made $9,000,000

The rest of the industry lost $45,000,000 or something like that… Math… not strong after 9 hours at work…

Wait, wasn't this story about Thunderbolt 3?

More like Apple made $100, HTC lost $3 = total industry profit of $97.  But Apple still made $100 = 103%
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 56
    the courage to charge big $$$ for a shit laptop. i want the old apple back that actually improved stuff.

getting rid of floppy was good as we had USB sticks, mag safe was excellent saved my laptop from death more than once, back lit keyboard ... really usefull.
    metal case best of the best. built in SD card ... excellent. move to intel ... genius.

now we all we get is cost cutting bullshit and money gauging for adapters that should be standard on a premium top of the line priced laptop. my current mac book pro is garbage all around the edge of the screen the display is coming apart after 1 year. i have ton of fucking retarded dongles and the new machines remove even more shit from what already is a crippled machine.

yeah apple is making a ton of cash , but they are doing it not by being the once awesome innovator, they are doing it by cutting corners and lock in wherever they can.

feeling pretty sad that their currently is no decent all round solution. OS X is still the best operating system but microsoft seems to be coming out with by far the better hardware.... hell must be freezing.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 45 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Armchair quarterbacking design decisions is a great way to fill up forum comment sections but at the end of the day the consumer market, whether pro, semi-pro, amateur, weekend warrior, or bling meister (people who like pretty things) will decide whether the design decisions Apple made to bring a product to market with a bunch of alternatives in hand were the right ones. I do know that dealing with so-called "standards" can be a nightmare because they are constantly under revision and the pace of adoption is bureaucraticly slow at best. Anyone who's ever designed a product knows how excruciating it is to accommodate legacy standard versions in a forward looking product. Carrying legacy baggage around really sucks but sometimes you have no choice, but other times the cost-benefit analysis tells you it's better to bite the bullet now and move on. The problem of moving on is that someone is left behind, clutching at an old RS-232 cable in vain, and those customers or potential customers can be very vocal. That's just human nature because people naturally amplify negative influences at 10X the level that they amplify positive influences. People belive they are drowning in a half inch deep puddle. 

Let's see what the market says over the next year and see how well these new MBPs do both with traditional Apple customers and with Windows PC conversions. If you haven't noticed - the whole PC industry is in a general decline so whatever "traditional" product and marketing decisions were being made up to this point are somewhat moot. Doing more of the same when the same isn't really working is kind of crazy. Apple's trying to break the mold, just like Microsoft is doing on a different front, and we'll see over the next several months and beyond whether they made smart decisions or whiffed.

In the meantime these discussions are relatively easier on the brain than dealing with other contemporary topics - so keep filling the comments bucket. No harm, no foul.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 46 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    macxpress said:
    So basically Pluggable is pissing and moaning because they made a product that is no longer compatible with the new MacBook Pro and they're trying to make Apple look bad because of it and its not even Apple's fault. Where are all of these supposed "other incompatible products"? The only incompatible product I'm hearing about is this stupid Pluggable device. 
    Pluggable made a TB3 device with standard TB3 chips that works with Windows but has issues with video on the new MBP.

Whether that's due to the older TI chipset, Pluggable's hardware design, or Apple's video implementation (driver or hardware) that's ultimately at fault is hard to say.

We do know the old hardware works with Windows and the new TI chipset works with the new MBP.

Obviously, there wasn't Apple TB3 hardware to test their device against until seven days ago. (The skinny MacBook doesn't have TB3 support.) IMO, it's hard to fault Pluggable given how quickly they've responded. From the MR article, they seem eager to do the right thing by their customers -- at least from this vantage point. Unsurprisingly, the click bait story on AI took more of a 'throw Pluggable under the bus' tone, which (as expected) generated a number of negative comments.

Disclosure: I have no relationship with Pluggable and don't yet have one of the new MBPs with TB3 support. 
    edited November 2016 dysamoriaavon b7
  • Reply 47 of 56
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    They should replace "certain" with "early" in the headline. Also, the sub-headline makes it sound like Apple built limitations into the MBP's TB3 configuration, which in this instance is completely false. The limitations are in the devices.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 48 of 56
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    john.b said:
    SD cards for cameras are prosumer, not pro.
    So I guess Canon's 5D lineup aren't pro cameras because they include SD slots?
    dysamoriafreethinking
  • Reply 49 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    wiggin said:
    john.b said:
    The slower write speeds of SD cards with dual CF/SD card slots negatively affects shot rates in continuous shooting modes (aka: burst mode).

Fact.

That was a change that went into the 5D Mark III (and 7D Mark II) specifically to appeal to the prosumer market. The prosumer-oriented 6D is SD card only, where the pro-oriented 1D X and 1D X Mark II have only the faster CF or CFast cards.

Source: Long time Canon shooter and owner of both a 5D Mark III and 7D Mark II (among others, I need a twelve-step group).
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 50 of 56
    VSzulcVSzulc Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    Ok, so there are a lot of misunderstandings about this story.

Reading a few articles about it, it would seem that the issues is as follows.

1: TB3 has been out for Windows PCs for awhile, and Plugable have put out a few TB3 accessories already. It's not a company who doesn't know what they're doing.

2: USB C is also not really a brand spanking new standard. The specs are widely known, and hardware has been out since 2014.

3: Plugable made a TB3 dock that used Intels Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller (No other manufacturer exists) and a USB-C chip from TI. TI is a major manufacturer and usually keep specs to a t.

4: Apple's new MBP doesn't work with any USB C/TB3 product that contains TIs TPS65982 chip. Instead Apple requires a newer TPS65983 chip. The problem with that?

5: The TPS65983 chip is a new, 2nd generation product which is still UNDERGOING CERTIFICATION. 

In other words: A lot, if not most USB C/TB3 accessories use the TI USB C chipset, and all of these will be incompatible with the MBP.

If you got the new MBP and need a particular TB3 accessory/peripheral/dock it may not be available until sometime next year, when TIs newer chip has been through certification and/or manufacturers 
    have switched to a different USB C chip.

It's hard to see how this is not a problem mostly of Apple's doing. 

It could have been avoided easily if they had worked closer together with TB3 accessory manufacturers, hadn't blocked a popular USB C solution and/or not released a MBP that's entirely dependent on USB C before newer USB C chips have been certified. 

One thing is for sure, this latest MBP launch couldn't have gone much worse.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    VSzulcVSzulc Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    adm1 said:
    "A follow-up post from Plugable notes macOS Sierra is incompatible with existing Certified Thunderbolt 3 devices released prior to November 2016. Specifically, Apple reportedly requires TI's second-generation TPS65983 chipset for full compatibility. " tbh that's not great from apple. If the early TI chipsets were indeed certified to Thunderbolt 3 spec then they should be compatible. Surely a firmware or driver update would rectify.
    In all honesty, TI is not a company that's known for fudging the specs.

(and it's their USB C chips that's the issue, not TB. If anything that makes it even worse I guess, since USB C has been out for a while.)
  • Reply 52 of 56
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    normm said:
    My only beef with the new MBPs is the lack of MagSafe. It is one of the simplest and cleverest things Apple had done, and now it's history...
    Someone should make a low-profile adapter that plugs into a USB-C port and lets you attach a Magsafe charger (or equivalent).

They have but everywhere you read, works so so, and not very Apple-like, quality or design-wise.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/01/04/griffin-preps-magsafe-like-usb-c-power-adapter-acer-lenovo-unveil-usb-c-monitors

I would like something with a much lower profile (stick out much less).  If Apple isn't going to make their own version of this, they should give a free license to MagSafe to all Mac accessory makers, so others can make it exactly like MagSafe.  I also prefer a right-angle connection, like the original MagSafe, so the charging cable doesn't stick out so far when you've got the laptop on your lap.

In fact, I would also like to see someone make a very low profile USB-C to USB-C right-angle adapter (non Magsafe), so you can plug in USB-C cables without sticking out so far!  This could be really tiny since it wouldn't need any active components in it: the only active components would be in the normal cable that plugs into it.  The closest thing I've seen are cables like this but they should be able to do much better.
    john.b
  • Reply 53 of 56
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    It's a joke to call these "Pro" models.  Pro-Sumer is more like it.  But as long as Apple keeps up this dumbing down trend they are going to lose the real pros.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    john.b said:
    wiggin said:
    john.b said:
    The slower write speeds of SD cards with dual CF/SD card slots negatively affects shot rates in continuous shooting modes (aka: burst mode).

Fact.

That was a change that went into the 5D Mark III (and 7D Mark II) specifically to appeal to the prosumer market. The prosumer-oriented 6D is SD card only, where the pro-oriented 1D X and 1D X Mark II have only the faster CF or CFast cards.

Source: Long time Canon shooter and owner of both a 5D Mark III and 7D Mark II (among others, I need a twelve-step group).
    True, but CF is a 15 year old format and is probably going to be replaced on highest end cameras by QXD, already starting in Nikons. Canon is one yardstick but they hang on to a lot of tech longer than others.  In audio it's pretty much SD up and down.  But regardless, I always thought Apple's inclusion of the SD slot (after not having it for many years of SD's popularity) was a very un-Apple part of the MBP.  Helpful to those who liked it but not a necessity.  Why save the user from needing a not universal card format reader when you're not saving them from other more critical adapters?  Why not put something more valuable in the space?  Plus, cards that mount immediately elsewhere take two or three shoves to mount in my MBP.  I definitely won't miss it.  My old SD USB card readers work twice as well.  Sometimes I even use one in the MBP that has the slot just so I can mount on first shove and be done with it.  There are some things that are very irksome to me about the new models as far as buying a bagfull of adapters and possibly schlepping a dock that previously wasn't needed, but the lack of an SD slot isn't one of them.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Ok, I almost split my gut when he said we should take out the keyboard and add it as a dongle..

• Reply 56 of 56
    JayRymalJayRymal Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Magsafe was great, but having 4 'power' ports to choose from, two on either side is really handy. And being able to power your laptop from the connection to your desktop display, thus only using one AC outlet is also great.