Huawei CEO claims company can overtake Apple in 2018

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Huawei CEO got his job secured til end of 2018. If you can beat Apple with profit made than the claim can be understandable but if you make products to run company than off course cheap phones can be sold lot. Keep in mind that Google is making it's own phones to be top dog in android phone world. Huawei can not create it's own OS echo system to be unique.
    edited November 2016 cali
  • Reply 22 of 72
    big said:
    Just an anecdotal comment. Here in Silicon Beach (the area next to LAX) I have yet to see a single Huawei smartphone in the wild. Or Huawei anything for that matter. Actually, I've always kind of hoped to encounter someone with one - so I can try it and see what I think, and it's kind of like going bird watching and seeing an extremely rare bird. 
    They don't really sell much in the US - they focus on Asia Pac and EMEA. The US barred them from selling into US carriers - because they knew if they could put backdoors into American gear, then the Chinese could do the same.

brucemc said:
    Quite possible for them to overtake Apple in "smartphones" market share, with their low end offerings.  Nothing new and nothing that Apple cares about.

I would say it is pretty much impossible to overtake Apple in market share for their high end phones.   And for those customers they will be primarily battling Samsung, Lenovo, and HTC.  They will never release the numbers, so no one would know anyways.
    Their annual report says 30% of their phones are mid-high end. So, no, they wouldn't be beating Apple in market share in Apple's target market
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Yes they will over take by loosing money doing so.

caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 72
    sounds familiar, right?
    8/14/2014 6:38AM     

Lenovo’s smartphone market share jumped in the second quarter as it sold more handsets in emerging markets. The Wall Street Journal’s Yun-Hee Kim speaks to IDC Analyst Bryan Ma about whether it can take on Apple and Samsung.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 72
    please lah use your brain huawei will never succeed because you dont even have your popular software OS and tapping android. Why not i get samsung and google rather than huawei, Talk nonsense. Market share global 2018 i think 2028 also cannot reach dont talk big. To conquer dont talk about AI VR whatever crap, just get your bloody OS and prove first. WHy not call niangniang huaer than huawei the name is not even punch brand awareness. Yawn next... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Perhaps I should start a company, give away a crap cell phone for free, maybe just pay people to take them, and secure the highest marketshare crowned king by IDC. As the NIN cover of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, I wear this crown of sh*t, upon my liars chair! I'm going to bet the lion's share of their sales are sub $100 units and that they lose money on the more expensive units due to low volume.
    Surely you mean, the Johnny Cash cover of NIN's song? Trent Reznor wrote it in the 90s. >_<
  • Reply 27 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    mf2k said:
    What he is really saying is that he is going to copy Apple step-by-step, innovation-by-innovation. Huawei has never innovated anything ever. 

This is true they employ more engineers than anyone else in China for sole purpose of reverse engineering other companies products. Just look at what they did to Cisco products. Lucky for Cisco no publicly traded company is allowed to buy Huawei products for fear the Chinese government has a back door into their operations.
    ration alcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    First rename your company something westerns can pronounce.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    inteliboy said:
    The constant pining for Apple's doom is maddening. 

Why not take over Google? Or Microsoft? Or Facebook? Samsung? Sony?

No, time and time again, apparently it's Apple that needs to be knocked down a peg or two.
    Because the marketing value of claiming they can overtake Apple (marketshare), and better still if they do (quite possible).

For me it is the "We are going to take them [Apple] step-by-step, innovation-by-innovation," comment that is most telling. He is literally say they are going to copy Apple, step by step. One thing is copying the hardware, but the associated services and ecosystem is a whole other deal. 
    baconstangcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 72
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    Anyone who says they'll beat Apple in market share simply doesn't get it. Except for iPod, Apple has never had the biggest market share of anything. That's never been their main driver. Sorry but until these companies can get that in their heads, they'll never beat Apple at anything. 
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 72
    I suppose Huawei can definitely overtake Apple in sales if they're selling $50 phones? smartphones? to third-world nations like India, Africa and South America. I'm sure Wall Street will be happy to claim Apple is being destroyed by Huawei in terms of market share. I'm sure Huawei will also exceed Apple in smartphone sales growth. I must be getting too old to really understand what makes a company successful. Maybe times have changed. I don't quite understand how growth necessarily makes a company valuable and successful. I only understand how to balance books and how the books need to be kept in the black. Sure, I realize people can keep using more credit but that leads most people into a hole they can't climb out of.

The stock market seems to be run so differently from running a household or most businesses and it makes little sense to me. A company shouldn't be able to keep burning cash or undercutting the competition to gain market share. It's not a sustainable way to run a business, so what's so praiseworthy about it. Don't analysts see this doesn't work in the long run. A company like Samsung might be able to do it as long as its other business ventures are profitable. I wouldn't think there was any way a smaller company could survive. It would have been much better for Apple if they had also branched out into other profitable businesses then they wouldn't have to rely so heavily on the iPhone.

I'm fairly certain Huawei's overtaking of Apple will be easier said than done but meanwhile Wall Street will say it's going to put more nails in Apple's coffin.  What really upsets me is Apple is spending so much money on R&D and capex and yet critics keep saying iPhones are no better than Chinese smartphones at half the price.  I can't even imagine how that's possible but my thinking is wrong.  It just goes against all the things I've learned over the years.  Quality usually costs more money to produce.  Besides, what has happened to Apple's economies of scale?  Is that no longer effective against smaller rival smartphone companies?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 32 of 72
    At the rate Apple is going, I believe him.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Just another Android iPhone copycat. 99% malware infected. Apple doesn't care about marketshare, they care about quality and what you can do with your phone and how easy it is to be able to do it. 
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    bdkennedy said:
    At the rate Apple is going, I believe him.
    Based on what? Explain...
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 72
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    James Comey will love this. DHS will not.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "We are going to take them [Apple] step-by-step, innovation-by-innovation,"

:D 

And with WHAT ecosystem, exactly?

Oh. Right...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Just another clueless and arrogant prick...
    What does it mean to overtake Apple?
    What kind of profit does Huawei make on their phones now?

Apple just took 104% of all smartphone profits following Samsung Battery fiasco.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/04/apple-smartphone-profit-q3-samsung-recall/

edited November 2016 ration albaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 72
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
  • Reply 39 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    As long as all these CEOs are gunning for Apple we can be assured Apple is still the top dog. When those same CEOs start wanting to beat somebody else then we should worry.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 72
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    So they will take share from other Android phone makers.   And be lucky to break even.
    watto_cobra