Huawei CEO claims company can overtake Apple in 2018

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    jsmythe00 said:
    These folks don't get it. They're not gonna take shares from Apple. Anyone who has sipped the Apple punch is hooked.

We like our IOS. We like our industrial design. We like our privacy and we like that our phones don't blow up. 

Their fight is with Samsung. And while those two companies battle over the meager profit-scraps Apple left them, Apple is making the next great thing. Err which I hope is a better TV experience.  

And while youre at it get moving on the airpods!!!
    They are looking to get their hooks into the customer that has no real brand affiliation. Die hard Apple fans aren't getting their phones. Also that finicky Chinese market that all pundits say is a thorn in Apple's side. So you never know. How much more you can innovate the smartphone in just two years remains to be seen. I think the guy is full of it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 72
    adm1 said:
    Perhaps I should start a company, give away a crap cell phone for free, maybe just pay people to take them, and secure the highest marketshare crowned king by IDC. As the NIN cover of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, I wear this crown of sh*t, upon my liars chair! I'm going to bet the lion's share of their sales are sub $100 units and that they lose money on the more expensive units due to low volume.
    Surely you mean, the Johnny Cash cover of NIN's song? Trent Reznor wrote it in the 90s. >_<
    I stand corrected. I assumed the older artist recorded the first version of it, shows what you get for assuming.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Cute and droll comments here.
    Huawei is one of the few companies other than Samsung and Apple that have everything from chip design and fabrication through to the software, app store (albeit Chinese focused for now), and a fairly strong and evolving set of services including payment, financial services and authentication.

HiSilicon is a chip design & fab that belongs to them, they churn out millions of Kirin ARM-based processors each year for their phones and other devices. They have a huge, nearly 80,000 strong R&D team spread across pretty much the whole world. 

They're around pretty much everywhere in the world even if you haven't come across many of their devices in the US. 

They are in an excellent position financially and politically. They made something like $60 billion in revenues last year and have very strong ties with the Chinese leadership. 

They're talking about phones in this article, but having worked with Huawei first hand, I know for a fact that they are quick to pivot towards a stronger opportunity and this story may change in a year or two. 
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Perhaps I should start a company, give away a crap cell phone for free, maybe just pay people to take them, and secure the highest marketshare crowned king by IDC. As the NIN cover of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, I wear this crown of sh*t, upon my liars chair! I'm going to bet the lion's share of their sales are sub $100 units and that they lose money on the more expensive units due to low volume.
    Lol, when you quote a lyric- you don't have to mention who did a cover of the tune.

Soli
  • Reply 65 of 72
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Cute and droll comments here.
    Huawei is one of the few companies other than Samsung and Apple that have everything from chip design and fabrication through to the software, app store (albeit Chinese focused for now), and a fairly strong and evolving set of services including payment, financial services and authentication.

HiSilicon is a chip design & fab that belongs to them, they churn out millions of Kirin ARM-based processors each year for their phones and other devices. They have a huge, nearly 80,000 strong R&D team spread across pretty much the whole world. 

They're around pretty much everywhere in the world even if you haven't come across many of their devices in the US. 

They are in an excellent position financially and politically. They made something like $60 billion in revenues last year and have very strong ties with the Chinese leadership. 

They're talking about phones in this article, but having worked with Huawei first hand, I know for a fact that they are quick to pivot towards a stronger opportunity and this story may change in a year or two. 
    but they are another entrant into the sub-10% cess pool of the Android share of cell phone profits.  good luck to them.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    palegolas said:
    Are Huawei products any good?
    Are they working on their own OS too?
    a) No.
    b) Yes http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12011732/huawei-developing-own-mobile-os

Using former Nokia engineers.

I'll give them this. I'd like nothing more than to see Android abandoned like Windows XP. So if they can pull it off, great. But I think they're way too over-confident.

The reason Apple succeeds is that it has an entire ecosystem of devices that work together, even with Windows devices. Many devices do not do this. Android doesn't do this, because many of the partners (eg Samsung and LG) have no interest in building Android-ecosystem devices, and Google has so far fumbled everything. If Google really wanted Android to succeed, it would have done so when it had Motorola and built Android into the Motorola STB's that all the cable companies use. But nope, they totally blew that and now Nokia-Siemens or Lenovo owns the remains.

• Reply 67 of 72
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    getvoxoa said:
    On the smartphone front, the Chinese love to have phones with 2 SIM cards (two cell numbers). That's what vivo, OPPO, Huawei have in China. I travel to HK and China often, and I wish my iPhone has it so I don't have to carry to iPhones with me.
    Same here. I'm traveling abroad right now so I bought a $28 phone just for local calls. Even though my iPhone is unlocked I still need it to receive calls from the US so I can't change the SIM. I use Skype and FaceTime over Wi-Fi to call the US.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    mf2k said:
    What he is really saying is that he is going to copy Apple step-by-step, innovation-by-innovation. Huawei has never innovated anything ever. 
    If they try selling in the U.S. and other markets outside of China, they're going to get their butts sued by Apple. By the way, I just heard now that Apple is making over 100% of the Smartphone profits. Over, because some are losing money. That's pretty bad for everyone else. It's been over 90% for some time for Apple, with Samesung making most of the rest, but with the Note 7 and taking a big loss, that boosted Apple right up. In general Market share matters. When you're on top, you're making the most money!!! That's not at all what's happening with Smartphones. Market share has become meaningless. 80% of nothing is nothing. Apple sells 1 iPhone and makes a $50 profit. Android (That's everyone) Sells 1 ZILLION phones and breaks even or loses money. Who's Winning? Apple sells 10 iPhones and makes a $500 profit. Android sells 10 ZILLION phones and still is only breaking even or losing money. This is basically what's going on. Who's the winner? Well fandroids will say Android, they sold 10 zillion phones. That's a ton more then 10, right? Anyone with a brain will say Apple Won. They only had to sell 10 phones and made a $500 profit doing it. As the saying goes, Work smarter not harder!!! Android phones are a commodity. There is no money to be made selling Android Phone hardware. That means it's all about the software side, Services!!! Outside of China, Google controls that's and expects their services front and center if you're going to use their OS. If you try forking it, you lose out on all of Google's services and people won't buy the phone. Samsung has tried offering it's own services like MILK and it's just failed. Who wants to use that? Really, the only winner with Android is Google. Now they have their so called own Pixel Phones, which gives them a software advantage over everyone else as they try to be Apple. Clone the iPhone. Sell 2 sizes, seems to be the thing now.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Sounds like a Microsoft tactic.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    And you think Google is bad about collecting user information, just wait.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Apple continues to seize the vast majority of the world's profits in the smartphone industry. An analyst report on Thursday claimed that Apple holds 103.6 percent, with most other smartphone manufacturers taking a loss on the business.