Samsung takes out full-page ad to apologize to Galaxy Note 7 users for quality issues

Posted:
in General Discussion
Attempting to put the Galaxy Note 7 debacle behind it, Samsung has paid for a full-page apology to consumers that appeared on Tuesday in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post.

"An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise," said President and CEO of Samsung America Gregory Lee. "For this we are truly sorry."

"We will re-examine every aspect of the device, including all hardware, software, manufacturing and the overall battery structure," said Samsung. "We will move as quickly as possible, but will take the time needed to get the right answers."

Samsung has yet to determine what caused the fires in the initial shipments of the device, or in the replacement units. Most of the reported fires with the initial release were during charging, according to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Employees involved in the post-recall testing claimed that they were required to keep communications about the evaluation process offline, with e-mails and other accountable forms of communication forbidden. Samsung allegedly feared lawsuits and subpoenas as a result of the fires, leading to the drastic restrictions on staff.

Fires in the replacement units didn't appear to be limited to units charging, with most of the reported fires happening during normal use, or when powered off completely in the case of the evacuated flight on a runway in Kentucky.

Samsung drew complaints from the CPSC in how it handled the initial "voluntary recall" of the device. Samsung reports that it is "fully cooperating" with the CPSC at this time to work out what happened, and to ensure that it doesn't happen again in other devices.

AppleInsider has learned that unreturned Galaxy Note 7 devices are still causing fires, with a CPSC employee telling us that there have been "more than 10" fires since the full recall, all caused by hold-outs refusing to return the devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    If you're foolish enough to fall for this, you fully deserve their products. Including their washing machines
    edited November 2016 pscooter63dysamoriacalipeterhartpulseimagessricejbdragonbdkennedy1002baconstangviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I should've written it down yesterday when I heard it, but it was reported that one of the other Samsung line of phones has now had a battery explosion and fire. If so, their problems, massive as they are now, are just beginning.
    calipulseimageswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 3 of 31
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    This also makes me think that the unit on the plane was maybe not actually powered down, guessing there is not really a way to know.  I see it all the time, the person across the aisle on taxi still texting, putting his phone down every time the attendant walks by.  We are not a culture of rule followers.  
    baconstangh2pmacgui
  • Reply 4 of 31
    They publish that, and then on other page there is a story of samsung washers getting recalled because their tops fly off. It just doesn't end with them.
    dysamoriacalipulseimageswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 5 of 31
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    And what ever happened to the idea of disabling these devices from the carrier level.  Would like it a bit more if they didn't make it onto planes just because the user was not aware.  
    calilolliver
  • Reply 6 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Shortly afterwords, reports began to surface of copies of the New York TimesWall Street Journal, and Washington Post bursting into flames...
    calipulseimagesjbdragonSpamSandwichh2pviclauyycwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 7 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Timing is everything.

If there is one day this year when the vast majority of news media consumers in the USA and many other countries will be focused on topics very far removed and even more depressing than Samsung's latest exploding product news it is today November 8, 2016. 
    edited November 2016 pscooter63dysamoriacaliwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 8 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    If you're foolish enough to fall for this, you fully deserve their products. Including their washing machines

The fact we all live in country where most people believe the lies of the politicians and keep voting them back in after they screw everyone, why wouldn't Samsung think they can place an ad like this and the sheep will come in herds. 
    edited November 2016 calilkruppaylkwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 9 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Interestingly enough, Greg Lee's pants caught on fire. No word if the cause was the Note 7 or his lies. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Innovate".... right in the first sentence.

I'm getting sick of this fuc**ng word. It keeps coming from the copycats and lazy asses who wait for Apple inventions to pounce on. There was zero reason for Samsung to mention innovation in this letter but they still did it. I'm sick of this Sh**!!
    netmagenolamacguybdkennedy1002watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Too little, too late.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 12 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    maestro64 said:

The fact we all live in country where most people believe the lies of the politicians and key voting them back in after they screw everyone, why wouldn't Samsung think they can place an ad like this and the sheep will come in herds. 
    Sort of like all those sheep buying the new Mac Pros that “power” users said would flop? /s
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Last call for passenger Cnocbui. Last call for passenger Cnocbui. 
    edited November 2016 nolamacguypscooter63badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Last call for passenger Cnocbui. Last call for passenger Cnocbui. 
    haven't seen him in some time. stuck under a bridge, i wonder?
    badmonkwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 15 of 31
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    "We're sorry we got caught."
    bdkennedy1002baconstangviclauyycwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 16 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    People have short memory's. Why bring it up yet again is a big page thing like this? By the time the Note 8 goes on sale, I don't think they'll take much of a hit on it. it's just how things are. Just look at how many are willing to hold onto their exploding note 7's. People in general just have short memory's.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I should've written it down yesterday when I heard it, but it was reported that one of the other Samsung line of phones has now had a battery explosion and fire. If so, their problems, massive as they are now, are just beginning.
    Maybe the J5? http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/samsung-smartphone-fire-1.3839753
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    vexvex Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I am the geek/gadget guy in our household. My wife usually doesn't have much interest in such things as long as the phones/computer/appliances etc work as expected. After all this publicity about Samsung devices, even she is looking at our Samsung fridge and TV set with a little trepidation, wondering if they are prone to blowing up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    An apology from a bunch of well known liars and thieves is like being handed an empty glass of water.

Pretty much all they did with this ad is bring attention to it again.
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apologies ..  ?  How about apologizing to AAPL share holders for stealing Apple IP and costing us a fortune too.  Japanese ritual seppuku comes to mind as more appropriate, shame it isn't in the contracts in S. Korean Industry ....
    badmonkwatto_cobra