Monitoring software on some US Android phones sent text messages, location info to China [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sflocal said:

According to Shanghai Adups Technology, the software installed on BLU's phones was a "mistake" 
    Bullshit.  They got caught and now trying to backpedal.  Just another nail in Android's coffin.  When Apple was making news for their phones being so locked-down while Android's creator Google being so quiet?  This is why.  Android is a joke of an OS and it banks on the user's stupidity to use their crappy software.

I pity the chinese user.  China's government is so archaic, it just amazes me that the chinese population has not revolted and bring that government down.
    I pity the USofA user. USA government is so archaic, it just amazes me that the USA population has not revolted to bring that government down.
    singularity
  • Reply 22 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dsd said:
    blastdoor said:

What happens if the Trump administration wants to access iOS source code and put a back door on US iPhones. Should Apple leave the US too? Just focus on Canada maybe? 
    Where would they place the eh? key?
    In the keyhole of course, duh.  :D 
  • Reply 23 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    This is yet ANOTHER REASON why Apple should GTFO of China

[...]

FUC THEM. No way. GTFO of China.

[…]

Till them, go to hell China.
    I'm not racist. My grandmother was 100% Chinese (RIP) and I loved here dearly. 
    Is this going to be your new OCD focus? Come into every thread and say Apple should stop selling HW in China? 
    This story is about China spying isn't it?

And now China wants access to iOS source code and a back door on China iPhones.
    Plus access to China's iCloud.y 

This china thing is a big problem.
    What happens if the Trump administration wants to access iOS source code and put a back door on US iPhones. Should Apple leave the US too? Just focus on Canada maybe? 
    I don't know if focussing on Canada would be a working strategy. Design efforts would shift to making the products work at sub-zero temperatures and keyboards you can use while wearing mittens. Plus the first QuickType suggestion would always be "Sorry."

Okay, I knocked off two common stereotypes. Any other Canadians wanna wade in?
    You forgot the last word of every sentence is 'eh'  D 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Ah, pretty much every post has a quoted troll message from sog35. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with Apple other than there is even more marketshare opening up right about now...
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Make no mistake: this is a big deal - but also keep in mind that Google products are doing the exact same thing. Google track your location, the content of your messages, photos, contacts, shopping and more.
    ration al
  • Reply 26 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Make no mistake: this is a big deal - but also keep in mind that Google products are doing the exact same thing. Google track your location, the content of your messages, photos, contacts, shopping and more.
    At least with Google you know what data is used for: Better-directed advertising, with the actual user data held closely by Google rather than shared.. In the case of this particular monitoring software it's not at all clear. In fact when you pick up your prescription from your pharmacy, get a driver's license, or post on a blog site it's not entirely clear why your information is being purchased or what it's being used for. 
  • Reply 27 of 30
    sflocal said:

According to Shanghai Adups Technology, the software installed on BLU's phones was a "mistake" 
    Bullshit.  They got caught and now trying to backpedal.  Just another nail in Android's coffin.  When Apple was making news for their phones being so locked-down while Android's creator Google being so quiet?  This is why.  Android is a joke of an OS and it banks on the user's stupidity to use their crappy software.

I pity the chinese user.  China's government is so archaic, it just amazes me that the chinese population has not revolted and bring that government down.
    You know it wasn't Android but other software on BLU phones right? Might be a nail in the coffin for BLU - whoever that is - but last I looked, Android was growing not declining.

Btw, my Chinese-made phone is transmitting all of my calling data, contacts, smses, emails and location to a company in a foreign country - USA - because I want it to. How does that make me stupid?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:

Yes this means sales will be down 25% but who cares. I don't, even as shareholder. 

I can see the bigger picture. The less the company is reliant on China the better.

That Tim Cook put all his eggs in the China basket is a total failure and lack of vision.
    And now that China sales are down 40% and all this crap is going on, Timmy ole boy has EGG ON HIS FACE.

Instead of trying to cater to US/Europe/Japan customers Timmy ole Boy focused 100% on China. Gold phones. Gold watches. Giant phones. No premium 4 inch phones. BAM. Now it blows up on  his face like a samdung phone.

China wants access to Apple iCloud serves in China. 
    China wants the source code of iOS.

Take the short term hit and see the stock go down to $85.  Buy up a crap load of stock. Repatriate the $200 billion in cash on a low tax rate. Then buy up HALF of the company shares in one swoop.

In a couple years the stock will be at $250 without China.  Then when China learns to treat Apple with respect, Apple can bring its products back to China.

Sog35 off his meds again, and his delusional symptoms keep getting worse. Poor, poor guy. Only a complete nut would advocate pulling out of the biggest market on the planet. By the way, calling Tim Cook "Timmy ole Boy" does not raise you up and lower him, regardless of your delusions. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 29 of 30
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

[...]

[…]

Is this going to be your new OCD focus? Come into every thread and say Apple should stop selling HW in China? 
    This story is about China spying isn't it?

And now China wants access to iOS source code and a back door on China iPhones.
    Plus access to China's iCloud.

This china thing is a big problem.
    Well, it would be challenged up to the Supreme Court by Apple if it came down to it and even with a new Trump appointee the SCOTUS would have to rule if any such laws are constitutional. People have protected rights and those rights are inconvenient to power. I don't know that Trump would ever pursue such a thing, but anything is possible. Hell, look what Obama turned out to be after Democrats said he was the Second Coming.