Apple asks OLED suppliers to increase output in anticipation of curved 'iPhone 8' in 2017

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is said to be exploring more than 10 potential prototype models in anticipation of next year's 10th anniversary of the iPhone, with the company eyeing an OLED-display curved "iPhone 8" for launch in 2017.

"iPhone 8" concept by Veniamin Geskin.

Citing people familiar with the company's plans, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday that Apple has asked its suppliers to increase their output of organic light emitting displays, in anticipation of an OLED-equipped iPhone next year. In addition, Apple is also said to have asked suppliers to offer up screens with higher resolutions than Samsung handsets.

In all more than 10 prototypes are being considered for next year's launch, the report said.

Recent rumors have suggested Apple plans to release three new iPhone models in 2017, including a new high-end flagship OLED model with a screen sized between 5.1 and 5.2 inches. The remaining two models are believed to feature legacy LCD panels sized at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, the same as the current iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Concept rendering of next-gen iPhone with edge-to-edge display.

All three models are said to feature wireless charging for the first time, along with glass-backed cases.

As for who will supply OLED panels to Apple, Monday's report suggested it's likely that Samsung will be the chief partner, as other display makers simply cannot provide the amount of inventory needed for a new iPhone launch. Apple is said to be hoping that Sharp, LG Display and Japan Display will be able to ramp up production to take over some of Samsung's share by 2018.

Apple already uses OLED technology in two key products: The Apple Watch, as well as the new MacBook Pro Touch Bar (though not its primary display).

Global OLED availability is limited, which has led to rumors that Apple could struggle to meet demand for an all-new iPhone next year. It's believed that the switch to OLED will allow Apple to embed key components --?including the Touch ID fingerprint sensor and FaceTime camera -- beneath the screen, allowing a true edge-to-edge seamless front panel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Edge-to-edge would be nice. Please don't make a curved display. Perfect example of an answer to a question nobody asked. 
    entropys[Deleted User]watto_cobrajony0indyfx
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bianstabiansta Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Please just don't use that "concept" pic anymore. It's so incredibly ugly, makes me wonder if you've been paying any attention to Apple at all.
    randominternetpersonmacplusplus[Deleted User]ai46
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Edge-to-edge would be nice. Please don't make a curved display. Perfect example of an answer to a question nobody asked. 
    Plus would give the media a field day claiming Apple is copying Samsung now.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    A full top-to-bottom screen could be useful.  Edge-to-edge is most likely a negative in terms of practical usability.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 5 of 21
    biansta said:
    Please just don't use that "concept" pic anymore. It's so incredibly ugly, makes me wonder if you've been paying any attention to Apple at all.
    Got a better concept you can provide? I'd happily use a different one.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 21
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I don't get the idea of a curved screen. Sure it might reduce reflections but wouldn't it make the phone overall thicker in your pocket and also cause physical instability when laying flat on a table?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    So, once again, the rumor mill is claiming Apple will skip the 7s?
    entropys
  • Reply 8 of 21
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Apple, will probably have an  iPhone that looks like the galaxy edge.  Remember. They have 3D Touch. So they can replace certain buttons like the volume rocker with a 3D Touch command for example. Reducing the over all buttons on it's iPhone. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    volcan said:
    I don't get the idea of a curved screen. Sure it might reduce reflections but wouldn't it make the phone overall thicker in your pocket and also cause physical instability when laying flat on a table?
    I always think these reports use "curved" too vaguely. Do they mean the edges are curved along the sides? 

Then why not say so? They can't possibly mean the screen would be curved along the vertical or horizontal axis, can they?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    the curved display will be only 4-5 years behind, and the small bezel around screen about 8:)
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sog35 said:
    nhughes said:
    biansta said:
    Got a better concept you can provide? I'd happily use a different one.
    first off where the hell is the home button?
    Well, the rumor is no home button. Edge to edge screen with components embedded in or behind the OLED panel. Which is why we include these concept images, since there isn't actually an "iPhone 8" to depict. Again, I'm open to better concept images if anyone has them. We need pictures to supplement our articles.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/05/11/rumor-apples-2017-iphone-will-be-radical-redesign-with-touch-id-facetime-camera-speaker-embedded-in-display
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rumors that Apple is asking suppliers for a higher-res display than what Samsung is using sounds kinda silly. First why would Apple do so, and secondly for what purpose other than bragging rights? I think it's already been pretty well established in other threads here that that the current 4K/500+ pixel density screens on some Android handsets are full of wasted pixels that a user gets no benefit from while they're sucking up valuable battery, yet Apple supposedly wants to one-up Sammy and go even higher than 534ppi? Don't understand the rationale so I personally doubt the veracity of the rumor...

UNLESS it's for Apple's version of Google Daydream/GoogleView.  That's the only place that a ultra-high pixel display screen on a phone makes sense to me. 
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flaneur said:
    volcan said:
    I always think these reports use "curved" too vaguely. Do they mean the edges are curved along the sides? 

Then why not say so? They can't possibly mean the screen would be curved along the vertical or horizontal axis, can they?
    Curved like the LG G-Flex from a few years ago? Can't imagine why so if it's curved I'd expect ala' Samsung's Edge models. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    Rumors that Apple is asking suppliers for a higher-res display than what Samsung is using sounds kinda silly. First why would Apple do so, and secondly for what purpose other than bragging rights? I think it's already been pretty well established in other threads here that that the current 4K/500+ pixel density screens on some Android handsets are full of wasted pixels that a user gets no benefit from while they're sucking up valuable battery, yet Apple supposedly wants to one-up Sammy and go even higher than 534ppi? Don't understand the rationale so I personally doubt the veracity of the rumor...

UNLESS it's for Apple's version of Google Daydream/GoogleView.  That's the only place that a ultra-high pixel display screen on a phone makes sense to me. 
    With Apple, the extra pixels will be used with a VR/AR display. However, to extend battery life in normal use,a portion of the pixels (bringing it down to simply 'retina' resolution) will be turned off when not within a VR unit. 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Chinese have already made the bezelless phone: Xiaomi MiMix. The design is from Philippe Starck, known with the design of Steve Jobs' yacht. That phone has still a bottom bezel though, for the front camera.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    gatorguy said:

That doesn't make sense, either. If one day Apple comes with an untethered true VR solution, that will be most probably a standalone headset, not an iPhone docked to a head-mounted receptacle.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    So, once again, the rumor mill is claiming Apple will skip the 7s?
    Actually, the latest rumor states that both the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will both see updates and there will be a new redesigned premium iPhone, so potentially:

iPhone SE
    iPhone 7S / 7S Plus
    iPhone 8 (redesign w / OLED screen)
  • Reply 18 of 21
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    An edge to edge display would be wonderful, but what benefit does a curved display offer?
    netmage
  • Reply 19 of 21
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Do we really think Apple would ask supplier to ramp up the resolution, more than Samsung considering Samsung can not even drive the displays they have. Going higher resolution adds no value to the consumer they can not see the difference and it put more load on the processors to drive the extra pixels. Plus it would be too late in the game for apple to all of a sudden support a higher resolution display, they would have had to test this a while ago.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Holy groundhog day, For like that last 6 years "sources familiar with" have been claiming that the next iPhone would be OLED. (Even though OLED still suffers in many respects in comparison to LCD) and for the last two or three years these same sources have been claiming that the new iPhone would have a curved screen (just like samesung even though it is virtually (utterly?) pointless and actually a big negative in many respects)

One would almost think that this was just a marketing ploy; paying unscrupulous "sources" to float bulls__t rumors just before the holiday season in an attempt to make iPhone buyers think twice about purchasing. (oooh I'll hold off and get the neeeeeeeew one)
    That is,  If one was a sceptic.... /i