Shanghai consumer agency reports spontaneous iPhone 6 fires, Apple refutes claim

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Since we are technically at war, that would work if he wanted to go that route. 
    We are? When was it declared? By whom?
    War doesn't have to be declared. In case you have been living under a rock, we do have troops in Libya and Syria. That would be sufficient to use the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917 
  • Reply 22 of 40
    A 30% percent tax on Chinese imports? All they would have to do is put 30% tax on their imports from us and destroy our midwest farm industries. Plus, since they are the world's largest market they could put the hurt on U.S. manufacturers. Not to mention, being the world's largest holder of our debt, they could trash us... China has already responded to Trump's tweets... ... It sounded vaguely like "Go ahead, make my day" And, besides, Trump's own party is already telling him they won't support his tax on corporate traders. They HATE taxes of any sort.
    China is not the largest holder of American debt. Can we please stop spreading this fud. Social security trust funds and federal reserve banks hold the vast majority at about 28% combined. China at 8% has about as much American debt holding as Japan at 7%. Honestly where does this crap come from? When you're using the Internet don't people know how to "use the Internet" for anything other than posting stuff they've heard? 
    edited December 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 40
    I think another devasting ?double digit? Hit Apple will take, is that if such a scenario took place, not only would they lose the market but the tooling and machine etc would likely be frozen in country. A whole other significant can of worms, not easily solved. My $0.025. /s
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    No reason to believe that an Phone 6 undamaged by the user can't catch on fire, but I think it's more likely that the fire started with a poorly designed and made counterfeit charger.

Don't buy this. Charging and current are all regulated within the iPhone, not the charger. The charger is just a dumb voltage supply. The real issues with chargers are things like poor insulation from line voltages which can pose a shock hazard.
    1) PSUs are quite complex when done properly, not dumb.

2) PSUs can absolutely catch fire.

You should have linked to the iPhone charger teardown, not a MacBook one.

http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html?m=1

They are quite simple. The big difference is Apple chargers are double insulated. Cheap ones usually aren't. Which is where the shock hazard comes in.

Chargers catching fire is irrelevant since the story is about iPhones catching fire. Anything happening inside the iPhone will almost exclusively be the fault of something inside the iPhone (like a bad or damaged battery).
  • Reply 25 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    No reason to believe that an Phone 6 undamaged by the user can't catch on fire, but I think it's more likely that the fire started with a poorly designed and made counterfeit charger.
    I expect if the proposed 30+% tariffs on imported goods is enacted China will suddenly make lots of false and misleading claims about US products.
    I am quite worried about this too. What better attention-bait than making an example of Apple (remember those EC commissioners)?
    Yep. I think it's going to happen and businesses need to make long-range plans to deal with this. Imagine if suddenly Apple was banned from China? It would devastate the company.
    No it won't.

Last quarter Apple had $47 billion in sales. Only $9 billion was from China. That's only 19% of Apple's total sales.

That is not devestating. Especially since Apple would be able to bring back the $200 billion in cash.

Even with a 25% reduction in revenue Apple's profits is still massive. Still about 75% larger than Google, and Google is worth more than Apple sans cash.

It will give Apple an opportunity to focus on the markets in the USA, Japan, and Europe. There is still a ton of growth in those markets to add new products and services.

Frankly Tim Cook has been lazy the last 2 years. All he cared about was growing China and selling them big phones. Totally ignoring the USA/Europe/Japan customers.
    Good one!   That was funny!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Soli said:

Don't buy this. Charging and current are all regulated within the iPhone, not the charger. The charger is just a dumb voltage supply. The real issues with chargers are things like poor insulation from line voltages which can pose a shock hazard.
    Have you seen the inside of a counterfeit charger?
    http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html
    Genuine: " The tiny NTC temperature sensor lets the charger shut down if it overheats."

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 40

Soli said:
    I expect if the proposed 30+% tariffs on imported goods is enacted China will suddenly make lots of false and misleading claims about US products.
    I am quite worried about this too. What better attention-bait than making an example of Apple (remember those EC commissioners)?
    Yep. I think it's going to happen and businesses need to make long-range plans to deal with this. Imagine if suddenly Apple was banned from China? It would devastate the company.
    If something like that happens, a tariff would be the least of what the US should consider. It should simply disallow any ship/plane that left China from docking/landing in a port/airport.

Short term chaos, for sure. But it's time we stood up for something and showed some real guts.
    And that includes shooting ourselves in the foot?   That might be gutty.   But its dumb.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    A 30% percent tax on Chinese imports? All they would have to do is put 30% tax on their imports from us and destroy our midwest farm industries. Plus, since they are the world's largest market they could put the hurt on U.S. manufacturers. Not to mention, being the world's largest holder of our debt, they could trash us... China has already responded to Trump's tweets... ... It sounded vaguely like "Go ahead, make my day" And, besides, Trump's own party is already telling him they won't support his tax on corporate traders. They HATE taxes of any sort.
    It works both ways. The trade deficit with China is out of control. Something needs to be done about it. Last year China sold us $367 billion worth of goods versus $116 billion worth of goods going to China. China is doing a ton of unfair trading policies. Manipulating their currency, illegal export subsidies, etc. China only owns about 7% of our debt. The reality is we are China's biggest trading partner. They have more to lose then us. Our neighbors to the north is the biggest trading partner of the U.S. 
    You lost credibility when you said that they own 7% of our debt.   So, $1.3 trillion is insignificant?   Really?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 29 of 40
    It works both ways. The trade deficit with China is out of control. Something needs to be done about it. Last year China sold us $367 billion worth of goods versus $116 billion worth of goods going to China. China is doing a ton of unfair trading policies. Manipulating their currency, illegal export subsidies, etc. China only owns about 7% of our debt. The reality is we are China's biggest trading partner. They have more to lose then us. Our neighbors to the north is the biggest trading partner of the U.S. 
    You lost credibility when you said that they own 7% of our debt.   So, $1.3 trillion is insignificant?   Really?
    In the big picture, it's not significant. China owes us over a trillion dollars in debt.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    No it won't.

China sales only makes up about 25% of Apple's revenue. That is not devestating. Especially since Apple would be able to bring back the $200 billion in cash.

Even with a 25% reduction in revenue Apple's profits is still massive. Still about 75% larger than Google, and Google is worth more than Apple sans cash.

It will give Apple an opportunity to focus on the markets in the USA, Japan, and Europe. There is still a ton of growth in those markets to add new products and services.

Frankly Tim Cook has been lazy the last 2 years. All he cared about was growing China and selling them big phones. Totally ignoring the USA/Europe/Japan customers.
    You're missing the point. You can't argue "but Apple's revenue would still be higher than yada yada" when taking about how investors are pricing a company that now will have 25% less revenue and from a nation that has a stock value factored because its growth potential. Even losing 10% of their revenue YoY would be devastating.
    Nope.

Last quarter China only had 19% of Apple's total revenue. And that has been shrinking each quarter. By next year it will probably just 15%.

You are not factoring the other side of the coin: Apple will get $200 billion in cash back to the USA. Apple can EASILY buy a couple companies that can generate the lost revenue from China. 

You say losing 10% revenue YoY would be devestating? Guess what? That already happenned this year!  And the stock isn't down that much.

Also most investors will realize this Apple ban is only temporary.

Stop being a drama queen. Losing China would be a hit, but not even close to devestating to Apple.

You also need to consider Apple will sell more iPhones in the USA, because foreign phones from China/Samsung will be much more expensive.

From the start China was a crappy market to put all your eggs into. That was a HUGE mistake by Apple. Put all your eggs in a communist run nation? One that surely will do everything in its power to copy your product and give local companies all the advantages legally and illegally? Sure what a great idea!!!! NOT!
    What percentage of Apple manufacturing is China-dependent and what happens if China (to make a dramatic statement) decides Apple's manufacturing in the country is suddenly at odds with China's interests? THAT would be devastating.
  • Reply 31 of 40

Soli said:
    If something like that happens, a tariff would be the least of what the US should consider. It should simply disallow any ship/plane that left China from docking/landing in a port/airport.

Short term chaos, for sure. But it's time we stood up for something and showed some real guts.
    Don't get me wrong, something will definitely be done. China has been getting the better of the US for a long time.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

1) PSUs are quite complex when done properly, not dumb.

2) PSUs can absolutely catch fire.

You should have linked to the iPhone charger teardown, not a MacBook one.

http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html?m=1

They are quite simple. The big difference is Apple chargers are double insulated. Cheap ones usually aren't. Which is where the shock hazard comes in.

Chargers catching fire is irrelevant since the story is about iPhones catching fire. Anything happening inside the iPhone will almost exclusively be the fault of something inside the iPhone (like a bad or damaged battery).
    1) It doesn't matter. These PSUs are sophisticated. The following image is from the very link you supplied.

2) PSUs catching fire is NOT irrelevant. Any device or accessory component used to charge that device is relevant to the safe functionality of that device.

"I'm so sorry how your house burned down with your kid and pets in it."
    "It was the PSU, not the phone, so that makes their deaths irrelevant."
    "Well that's good to hear."
    THAT CONVERSATION WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

3) Again, if you don't believe me then go ahead and buy knockoff or cheap power supplies that violate safety regulations, but I can show dozens of PSUs that caught fire for every iPhone you can show me that has been suspected of catching fire.
    edited December 2016 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Apple notes that it had found "external physical damage" to all of the devices involved in the fires. Apple further added that the customers who had experienced the fires should visit an Apple store, or contact support venues regarding the incidents.
    How did Apple find "external physical damage" to all of these devices if these people had not already contacted Apple or support venues regarding this incident?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Since we are technically at war, that would work if he wanted to go that route. 
    We are? When was it declared? By whom?
    War doesn't have to be declared. In case you have been living under a rock, we do have troops in Libya and Syria. That would be sufficient to use the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917 
    Unless you've been living under a rock, you should know that having troops somewhere doesn't mean we're "at war."

Look up up the law (or the constitution, for starters).
    pscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 40

Soli said:

And that includes shooting ourselves in the foot?   That might be gutty.   But its dumb.
    Our feet are pretty shot currently, but perhaps you haven't noticed since you're not someone affected by it. 
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Look up "China will shoot itself in the foot."
  • Reply 37 of 40
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    One of my biggest concerns about a trade war with China is not about products like iPhones, but about the possible consequences that the US will not be able to build anything with circuitry, from servers to missle defense to coffee makers because they all use some Chinese components, like LEDs for example. Unless the US wants to suffer through a decade or so off reinventing the wheel, it probably makes more sense to negotiate with them rather than sanction them.
    edited December 2016 apple jockey
  • Reply 38 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    I'm really get sick with this bullshit from China.

I think Apple should just cut their losses and give the China the big middle finger.
    GTFO China and move the factories to India, Philipines, South America, ect.

Yes sales will be down about 25% but long term its better this way.

Make a plan with Trump, bring the $200 billion back to the USA and make it almost impossible for China phones to be sold competitively in the USA.

Play hardball until China starts to act like grown ups.
    Move the factories to ....? You are clueless! Apple has no factory in China, but Foxconn. Move manufacturing to other countries? Unlikely. Other countries have to establish manufacturing facilities, resources, man powers and technical training like Foxconn before it even happens. Foxconn however can move, not Apple. Bring manufacturing back to US and pay 15-20x more for manufacturing cost? What school did you get your degree from? I suggest to ask for a refund!
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 39 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    China is not the largest holder of American debt. Can we please stop spreading this fud. Social security trust funds and federal reserve banks hold the vast majority at about 28% combined. China at 8% has about as much American debt holding as Japan at 7%. Honestly where does this crap come from? When you're using the Internet don't people know how to "use the Internet" for anything other than posting stuff they've heard? 
    Actually China is the largest foreign holder at 5.9% US debt and Japan at 5.8% as of September after currency adjustment! A lot misinformation was given on internet to bait the clueless people. US actuall owed Amercan people and itself for the rest of $19.5 trillions!