Apple 'iPhone 7s' rumored to retain iPhone 7 design, debut without wireless charging

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Contrary to recent predictions, a report on Wednesday claims the biggest changes coming to Apple's next-generation iPhone models are an upgraded "A11" SoC and new red color option, with the forthcoming handset likely to carry over the design language introduced with iPhone 7.

Citing sources within Apple's Taiwanese supply chain, Mac Otakara reports the company is expected to stick with the usual "s cycle" upgrade path for next year's "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus."

Specifically, the base 2017 iPhone lineup will retain iPhone 7 styling and boast enhanced internal components like an updated processor. A new red colorway is also a possibility. Apple has followed a similar annual hardware refresh pattern -- stuffing new innards into last year's chassis -- since the introduction of iPhone 4S in 2011.

Today's report runs counter to predictions from well-connected KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who last month forecast each of Apple's next iPhone models to incorporate an all glass chassis design with integrated wireless charging. Mac Otakara's source said both standout features are unlikely to debut in 2017, at least for the "iPhone 7s" series.

According to Kuo and other industry insiders, Apple is primed to debut a third model alongside its usual 4.7- and 5.5-inch smartphone offerings. The special edition variant will be positioned at a price point above the "iPhone 7s" series and feature a 5.1- or 5.2-inch OLED display with "invisible" home button, all-glass housing, wireless charging and other exotic technologies.

Notably, Kuo in a separate research note said he expects demand for the glass-backed 4.7-inch iPhone and larger OLED iteration to drive sales to "unprecedented" highs, suggesting a return to growth for Apple's smartphone segment.

Mac Otakara has a strong track record when it comes to iPhone predictions, however. The Japanese blog was first to report on iPhone 7's 3.5mm headphone jack deletion, as well as this year's Jet Black color option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Well, looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone 6 yet another year...
    edited December 2016 zroger73indieshackcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Nothing says this will be an either/or. There could well be an iPhone 8, with the 7s being the 2nd-tier offering. Apple has done something similar in the past.
    mobiusJdmr1701canukstormasdasdMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Nothing says this will be an either/or. There could well be an iPhone 8, with the 7s being the 2nd-tier offering. Apple has done something similar in the past.
    Agreed. I'd be surprised if the only thing on the iPhone docket for next year is an SoC update and a new color.  Apple would get crucified in terms of mindshare if that's all they did for next year. I'm more inclined to think that Apple will pull a page out of its Watch playbook: 1) It will update the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus to the A11 SoC processor and 2) There will be a brand new iPhone (iPhone 8?) with completely new design, OLED, wireless charging, etc.
    edited December 2016 mike1cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Agreed. I'd be surprised if the only thing on the iPhone docket for next year is an SoC update and a new color.  Apple would get crucified in terms of mindshare if that's all they did for next year. I'm more inclined to think that Apple will pull a page out of its Watch playbook: 1) It will update the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus to the A11 SoC processor and 2) There will be a brand new iPhone (iPhone 8?) with completely new design, OLED, wireless charging, etc.
    Probably no iPhone 8 in 2017: http://daringfireball.net/2016/10/iphone_edition
  • Reply 5 of 47
    I think the rumours for a complete resdesign were wishful thinking. It makes more sense to keep the design for at least 2 years, mostly because of accessory makers. 
    tyler82Soli
  • Reply 6 of 47
    mtbnut said:
    Well, looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone 6 yet another year...
    Likewise. I have no current plans to get rid of my two year-old iP6 given that it still works perfectly. The improvements in the 6S and 7 were tempting at first, but it's funny how I can't even recall most of the improvements off hand without looking at this point. I'm waiting for wireless charging.
    asdasd
  • Reply 7 of 47
    I think the rumours for a complete resdesign were wishful thinking. It makes more sense to keep the design for at least 2 years, mostly because of accessory makers. 
    6 and 7 accessories are mostly interchangeable.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    jason98 said:
    No ceramic iPhone 8 like the ceramic Apple Watch 2.

There may or may not be a substantial redesign, but these rumors are 180 degree out of sync with previous rumors; believe none of them.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    When you run out of ideas..

iPhone 7 is essentially an iPhone 6sS.

Perhaps Apple will realease a new book next year as well and call it "Designed by Apple in California S"
    edited December 2016 goodbyeranchOutdoorAppDeveloper
  • Reply 10 of 47
    When you run out of ideas..

iPhone 7 is essentially an iPhone 6sS.
    And 7s will be a 6sSs smile 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Take it from someone who upgraded from the iphone6 to the 7, don't waste your money.  I needed the added space, but otherwise it's the same phone for an extra $700.  And the provided dongle only allows you to use the basic features of your existing headphones.  Had I known, I would have upgraded to the 6S vice 7.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    For my friends still working at Apple... I hope not. Apple has not made anything that inspires or delights in quite sometime. Forcing people to buy dongles to drive revenue, is just lame.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    In my use case and also for an ever growing number of Apple iPhone users, it doesn't matter a lick whether a 'whole new¥ exterior appears on next years iphone. Why, because many and more are signing up for the yearly Apple iPhone Exchange Program. Every year, a new phone for a monthly fee. And Apple likes it fine I am certain!

the service model is arriving for a maturing Apple. Welcome to our great fruity leader. /s  Keep the phones coming. And the others many users, who are on 24 or 36 month regimens, it will be no different. The many second other third world potential iPhone users and aspiration users, can more easily afford a licensed refurbished iPhone. Everybody is happy. Smooth sailing ahead on that particular front. 

Lets work out out how to get reasonable amount of the manufacturing back home. Go Apple Go America!
  • Reply 14 of 47
    And I'll be right their, next year, 2017 or GW 2018. My personal opinion is that Apple has every reason to stuff this intelligence deeply, the 10 year model. They will not be giving it up to easily. Regardless of the rumor mills deep roots back in the manufacturing arena.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    swedevb said:
    Take it from someone who upgraded from the iphone6 to the 7, don't waste your money.  I needed the added space, but otherwise it's the same phone for an extra $700.  And the provided dongle only allows you to use the basic features of your existing headphones.  Had I known, I would have upgraded to the 6S vice 7.
    Don't worry, your decision was good. iPhone 6 has many shortcomings, most of which have been rectified with iPhone 6s and iPhone SE. If you purchased 7 then that's better, better camera with optical image stabilization and quad-tone flash, water resistance, Home button that won't fail, faster CPU, better display, stereo speakers to name a few.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 47
    I highly doubt Apple will keep the same design next year, especially since its the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. 
  • Reply 17 of 47
    I would be very surprised if Apple didn't do something special for the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    By the way, I love the iPhone 7s that I have, many improvements, added tech and style, over the 6 I had previously. The new camera is wonderful. I gave my digital camera, lenses and the works to a friend. For my use I don't need more. True with many, I would guess. To say this phone is not dramatically better is just to not realize, exterior design change is an area where subtle changes need to predominate. It is the 'guts of the phone, HW/SW where Apple consistently  excels. Once again, Apple cannot always design around the limitations that their suppliers provide them. They do the best by far, on most reasonable scales.

tmay
  • Reply 19 of 47
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    jason98 said:
    The linked article refutes the prospect of an iPhone edition (ie an identical phone using novel materials like ceramic). It does not rule out a high end version featuring a new design. It practice it would look like iPhone 7s and a iPhone 8. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Holding out for the Red phone.  That's all that matters to me.  When it appears, I will have just one word:  "Finally!!!"