More reports suggest Apple's AirPods will see pre-Christmas release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    blastdoor said:
    This is pathetic. Allegedly BeatsX is also delayed significantly. 

Some parts of Apple seem to work well, while others appear to be dysfunctional. 

Can the dysfunctional parts be fixed? Or are the functional parts just a remnant of a better Apple -- a remnant that will eventually decay into dysfunction? 

I've got a bad feeling about this... 
    Relax bro...it's life! Imagine how boring life would be if everything was perfect.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    mac_128 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Sources within Apple corporate told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. Additionally, several venues have received pre-release sets for review.
    Um, it's December 12 and they're still not in stores yet. That's cutting it kinda close, no?
    Well, yes. 

Normally I wouldn't advocate this, but I think Apple should release a statement saying whether or not they're going to make it for a Christmas. Folk may have planned to get/give these as presents. Since Apple promised them in November then they should give people time to make alternative arrangements. 
    Most well-prepared people have likely already made other plans wouldn't you think? If Apple manages to get them to market by the end of this week, there may be a last minute rush for them either way, which will rely on the shipping infrastructure to get them into people's homes, and the pins and needles that result in people worrying whether they make it in time for Christmas. 

And they will need a significant supply of them to ensure there's not mass dissapointment from lent up demand unable to get them in time for the holidays. Hard to say whether they can mitigate this problem, depending on what the problem was. 

I've said since the beginning if they didn't get them to market by the end of Nov. that its in their best interest to wait until January, rather than deal with frustrated customers trying to get their hands on them, but finding them sold out everywhere, just before Christmas. Imagine if the new iPhones went on sale Decemebr 20th every year! 
    And of course, if you do find them when they become available, I expect a brisk market of people buying them in stores, then marking them up for resale at a premium on ebay. Want it under the tree? $500 and it's yours.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

Can the dysfunctional parts be fixed? Or are the functional parts just a remnant of a better Apple -- a remnant that will eventually decay into dysfunction? 

I sort of understood the delays with AppleWatch. This one seems a major oops though. They needed to have these ready when iPhone 7 without a jack was available.

It really does take courage to take the headphone jack out of the flagship product...then not have a product ready to sell to make it fully functional.

This sort of reminds me of Apple Maps (and to a lesser extent, Siri.)
    Garbage -- the 7 is fully functional now, today, and at launch. BT works just fine as do the other W1 headphones already available. 
    ...from somebody else. The 7 is designed to be a wireless product, yet you couldn't buy wireless earbuds the same day the product shipped. 
    I can't use my iPhone 7 without power or cell service provided by a third party either.  Good things such things exist or Apple are selling real expensive paperweights.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    crowley said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

I sort of understood the delays with AppleWatch. This one seems a major oops though. They needed to have these ready when iPhone 7 without a jack was available.

It really does take courage to take the headphone jack out of the flagship product...then not have a product ready to sell to make it fully functional.

Garbage -- the 7 is fully functional now, today, and at launch. BT works just fine as do the other W1 headphones already available. 
    ...from somebody else. The 7 is designed to be a wireless product, yet you couldn't buy wireless earbuds the same day the product shipped. 
    I can't use my iPhone 7 without power or cell service provided by a third party either.  Good things such things exist or Apple are selling real expensive paperweights.
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I needed to learn to read and write to be able to interface with an iPhone too, and that had to come from a 3rd party. Oh, and all the music, movies and TV had to come from a 3rd party on iTunes. And a phone is useless without someone on the other end. Yeah, you're right. An iPhone is totally worthless without accepting you need to buy stuff from someone else to make it work at all. I'm ditching mine today. Fukkit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 47

Rayz2016 said:
    Sources within Apple corporate told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. Additionally, several venues have received pre-release sets for review.
    Um, it's December 12 and they're still not in stores yet. That's cutting it kinda close, no?
    Well, yes. 

Normally I wouldn't advocate this, but I think Apple should release a statement saying whether or not they're going to make it for a Christmas. Folk may have planned to get/give these as presents. Since Apple promised them in November then they should give people time to make alternative arrangements. 
    On Gruber's podcast he said he's certain Apple's removal of the headphone jack was intended to coincide with AirPods and if AirPods weren't ready this year the headphone jack wouldn't have been removed. I agree about a statement though I think it should have come once Apple knew they wouldn't come close to meeting late October time frame. They did it with the white iPhone and in that case you could still get an iPhone 4 if you wanted one, just not in white.
    Apple had other iphones to sell. Here this is a new product from them. Not seeing the incentive to appease the concerned rumor site mongers and potentially generate negative press from the tech sites if they announce delays. 

Normals aren't sweating it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

What are you talking about? Apple sells numerous wireless headphones in their stores and online that work perfectly with the 7. Some BT, at least one W1. Plus more from third parties. So your claim that it's not fully functional is absolute bunk. You just can't get this particular apple branded accessory. Has no bearing on the devices functionality no matter how you slice it.

The mental gymnastics people have to use to claim negative crap about apple products is amazing. 
    edited December 2016 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

What are you talking about? Apple sells numerous wireless headphones in their stores and online that work perfectly with the 7. Some BT, at least one W1. Plus more from third parties. So your claim that it's not fully functional is absolute bunk. You just can't get this particular apple branded accessory. Has no bearing on the devices functionality no matter how you slice it.

The mental gymnastics people have to use to claim negative crap about apple products is amazing. 
    Could you buy Apple branded wireless earbuds on launch day?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eightzero said:
    What product are you referring? If you mean AirPods, those haven't launched yet. The only other item that would match the term "wireless earbud" would be their short-lived Bluetooth headset 7(?) years ago, but that would be singular, so I'm guessing you're not referring to it, but if you are, then you could've bought that on launch day assuming they didn't sell out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 47

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

What amazes me is how intensely and feuriosly people are coming to defend this, look, Apple doesn't owe anybody a pair of wireless ear buds and if the danm things aren't ready then they aren't ready, but can all the people who find this to be no big deal please shut up for one minite and let those who rightly see this as yet another thing that was not executed correctly by Apple, vent a little, this has not been Apple's best year, are people really sugesting that this is actually a good thing ? that Apple on stage proudly promises a product that justified the iP7 laking a jack , but for what ever reason, which by the way is solely on Apple, goes MIA, a new product being deemed ready for the market inherently means production is already running, iPhones are produced months before the media event, this isnt a manufacturing problem the iPhone 7 plus had manufacturing problems, these things haven't even been produced in any significan quantity to claim a manufacturing bottle neck, there are warning signs and people should be allowed to express what ever they feel like, with in reason Offcause, but this isn't the end of the wold but that applies to everyone, Apple is by far the best example of an execution of a business model in the history of commerce, and doesn't need to be constantly defended, no amount of negativity has ever even put a dent on Apple, so if people wanna bitch a little so what, let em, it doesn't hurt anyone
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Craig from GardnerCraig from Gardner Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Stopped in an Apple Store Friday and said "AirPods?"  And the response was "No, they are not ready yet, and I don't even have a date yet.  But I expect I should see you again shortly."  With as much of a wink as not winking can provide.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    eightzero said:

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

Could you buy an Apple branded wireless charger?  Could you buy an Apple branded bluetooth-enabled toilet seat?

Why does an additional purchase need to be Apple branded to make the device fully functional?
  • Reply 32 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Of note, and a little surprisingly IMO,  Philip Elmer Dewitt seems to take this somewhat more seriously than some others in titling his comments on it as "The faithful are losing faith"

http://ped30.com/2016/12/12/airpods-christmas-apple-cook/

EDIT; Just realizing that it might only be view-able by subscribers (I'm one and his opinions are worth reading IMO) so here's the gist of his article:

"Here's Tim Cook on national TV offering wireless AirPods as the answer to the iPhone 7's missing headphone jack:

https://youtu.be/fesagk7HU1o

That was mid-September, when Apple's press release of the 7th ("AirPods will be available starting in late October") was still operative...

...On Nov. 30, MacRumors posted this undated (and apparently unfaked) email exchange:

Customer's comment: "Give us a release date. I really bought in to the wireless vision you painted. Now I'm stuck waiting with my EarPods (sic) but can't charge my 7 at the same time which I need to do at work. Let us know if it's a month or 6 months, because then I'll just buy some other wireless headphones."

Tim Cook's response: "Thanks for your note. Sorry for the delay---we are finalizing them and I anticipate we will begin to ship over the next few weeks."

...Is Apple doomed? Of course not. But the faith of its loyalest supporters is being sorely tested.

"This is, in my opinion, the biggest Apple screw up in recent memory," says John Gruber, who got a pair of functioning AirPods for review back in September. "I’m not trying to brag, but it’s very surprising to me that here we are at Dec. 9 and I’ve got AirPods and nobody else does."

Friday's episode of Gruber's The Talk Show, with guest Glenn Fleishman, is a keeper. The AirPod segment, with the latest excuses from Gruber's Apple sources, begins at the 1:04:40 mark.'

edited December 2016 mac_128
  • Reply 33 of 47
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    smiffy31 said:
    Soli said:
    It's headphones. Why not just wait until they're ready instead of getting upset about it?
    For Apple to miss the holiday shopping season with a fantastically priced accessory that will surely sell in the tens of millions, is pretty disappointing...not just to consumers, but anyone watching Apple's performance.
    Most customers don't know about the ear pods, Even if they miss Christmas That will not stop them selling millions, maybe a bit slower to the start but I think they are in it for the long run, not out to make a quick buck.

And I totally agree with Soli.
    Chrismas is a deadline and as a result, some potential sales will be lost as consumers spend the money set aside for the Pods on something else. 

If they tried to get them out with iPhone 7 before Christmas, then that was the reason. The sale is easier when you dangle something new and under 200 dollars in front of a Christmas shopper.

The launch has already failed but there will still be enough momentum for healthy sales through to the next quarter, just not as many as they could have bagged.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    avon b7 said:
    smiffy31 said:
    Soli said:
    It's headphones. Why not just wait until they're ready instead of getting upset about it?
    For Apple to miss the holiday shopping season with a fantastically priced accessory that will surely sell in the tens of millions, is pretty disappointing...not just to consumers, but anyone watching Apple's performance.
    Most customers don't know about the ear pods, Even if they miss Christmas That will not stop them selling millions, maybe a bit slower to the start but I think they are in it for the long run, not out to make a quick buck.

And I totally agree with Soli.
    Chrismas is a deadline and as a result, some potential sales will be lost as consumers spend the money set aside for the Pods on something else. 

If they tried to get them out with iPhone 7 before Christmas, then that was the reason. The sale is easier when you dangle something new and under 200 dollars in front of a Christmas shopper.

The launch has already failed but there will still be enough momentum for healthy sales through to the next quarter, just not as many as they could have bagged.
    "Christmas is a deadline" for Christmas and almost entirely in the so-called West. It's not an issue if someone received money or an Apple Store GC who plans to buy them after Christmas, or Hanukkah, or their birthday.

It's also not a deadline for the Chinese new year, which is arguably more important for Apple to meet than Christmas in the US.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am holding out for the BeatsX so I am not worried. Those have been delayed even more and in the meantime I will be doing exactly what I am already doing, so no biggie. I was hoping to get a pair of BeatsX for a present as well but I'll have to find something else. I'll live.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member

Rayz2016 said:
    Well, yes. 

On Gruber's podcast he said he's certain Apple's removal of the headphone jack was intended to coincide with AirPods and if AirPods weren't ready this year the headphone jack wouldn't have been removed. I agree about a statement though I think it should have come once Apple knew they wouldn't come close to meeting late October time frame. They did it with the white iPhone and in that case you could still get an iPhone 4 if you wanted one, just not in white.
    This is such a massive screw-up. 

But to clarify -- the massive screw-up isn't the delay in the AirPods. That's a little screw-up. 

The massive screw-up was to make the appeal of the iPhone 7 dependent on the AirPods. AirPods don't need an iPhone 7 -- they can work with earlier iPhones, too. But the iPhone 7 needs the AirPods, because the AirPods make the removal of the headphone jack more palatable. 

The responsible decision here would have been to keep the headphone jack in the iPhone 7. They could have then launched the AirPods when they were ready. If the AirPods ended up being popular and awesome, then take the headphone jack out of the iPhone 8. 

Courage? No -- it's recklessness. 
    mac_128singularityholyoneavon b7
  • Reply 37 of 47
    blastdoor said:
    The massive screw-up was to make the appeal of the iPhone 7 dependent on the AirPods.
    You're hearing it wrong. My iPhone 7 works just fine without having purchased AirPods.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Soli said:
    blastdoor said:
    The massive screw-up was to make the appeal of the iPhone 7 dependent on the AirPods.
    You're hearing it wrong. My iPhone 7 works just fine without having purchased AirPods.
    I agree. My iPhone works just fine without cell service or wifi. Just not for certain touted things that I paid a premium price for. 
    holyonewatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 47
    eightzero said:

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the 7 is "fully functional" as you claim it isn't. Of course it is. Wireless functioned from Day 1. that the headphones are using a new communication protocol or not is quite irrelevant. Seriously you don't get that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 47

holyone said:

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

What amazes me is how intensely and feuriosly people are coming to defend this, look, Apple doesn't owe anybody a pair of wireless ear buds and if the danm things aren't ready then they aren't ready, but can all the people who find this to be no big deal please shut up for one minite and let those who rightly see this as yet another thing that was not executed correctly by Apple, vent a little, this has not been Apple's best year, are people really sugesting that this is actually a good thing ? that Apple on stage proudly promises a product that justified the iP7 laking a jack , but for what ever reason, which by the way is solely on Apple, goes MIA, a new product being deemed ready for the market inherently means production is already running, iPhones are produced months before the media event, this isnt a manufacturing problem the iPhone 7 plus had manufacturing problems, these things haven't even been produced in any significan quantity to claim a manufacturing bottle neck, there are warning signs and people should be allowed to express what ever they feel like, with in reason Offcause, but this isn't the end of the wold but that applies to everyone, Apple is by far the best example of an execution of a business model in the history of commerce, and doesn't need to be constantly defended, no amount of negativity has ever even put a dent on Apple, so if people wanna bitch a little so what, let em, it doesn't hurt anyone
    What am i defending? My posts are very specific -- the claim that the 7 is somehow not functional without a W1-powered headphone is factually false. It's an absurd moving of the goalposts.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra