macOS Safari compatibility added to Amazon Prime Video HTML5 streaming, with limitations

Posted:
in Mac Software
Amazon has made a recent change to video distribution methods, with the company adding Apple Safari HTML5 support on macOS, making the browser fully compatible with Amazon Prime Video streaming without plug-ins for the first time.

Before the implementation of the change over the weekend, Amazon Prime Video required installation of the problematic Microsoft Silverlight plugin for playback of streaming video in Safari. The implementation is still not perfect, with video playback capped at 720p resolution.

Based on AppleInsider testing, the current versions of Chrome and Firefox still have better AirPlay Mirroring options, as well as not having the artificial 720p resolution cap.

In April, Amazon made the Prime Video subscription available to those not choosing an Amazon Prime subscription. The Prime Video plan is available for $8.99 per month. This includes all shows and movies, as well as HD, UHD (4K), and HDR video quality options.

A full Amazon Prime subscription is cheaper, at $99.99 billed annually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Yay!  My two favorite companies, Apple and Amazon.  Nice to see some 'getting along' even if no app for Apple TV.
    gilly017
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I can't say I've ever had an issue with Safari on Mac without the Silverlight plugin for Amazon owned/created content. What am I missing?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Soli said:
    I can't say I've ever had an issue with Safari on Mac without the Silverlight plugin for Amazon owned/created content. What am I missing?
    Not sure. It's always required it. You may have the plug-in from the dawn of time, it's pretty pernicious.
    gilly017
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Not sure. It's always required it. You may have the plug-in from the dawn of time, it's pretty pernicious.
    I only use Extensions on Safari. Anything that needs Flash I use Chrome, which I think they recently dropped or will be dropping. I definitely haven't been using Chrome when I watched The Grand Tour or their pilot episodes this year.

• Reply 5 of 9
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Great ! Now if only Fidelity will do it for Active Trader Pro.

lkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MacPro said:
    Yay!  My two favorite companies, Apple and Amazon.  Nice to see some 'getting along' even if no app for Apple TV.
    This has nothing to do with Apple and Amazon relations.  Rather, this is the realization that Flash and Silverlight aren't viable long term strategies for browser-based content.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yet still no Apple TV app for viewing Prime content, despite having one for iOS. Amazon hates its customers. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Yet still no Apple TV app for viewing Prime content, despite having one for iOS. Amazon hates its customers. 
    Amazon wants to sell $50 dongles rather than give away free AppleTV apps. I guess I can't blame them, it's just business as usual.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sevenfeet said:
    MacPro said:
    This has nothing to do with Apple and Amazon relations.  Rather, this is the realization that Flash and Silverlight aren't viable long term strategies for browser-based content.
    I don't disagree at all Flash and Silverlight were just an attempt to hang on the the past. Meanwhile Amazon isn't going to help AppleTV with an app when they can sell a dongle.  That said I'd hope these two companies can get along.