Supposedly leaked Apple documents peg three iPhones for release in 2017, top model codenamed 'Ferra.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    asdasd said:
    eriamjh said:
    I mean from an aesthetic point of view. 
    Why do you care so much about what the phone looks like when it is OFF?  Don't you look at the screen?  

Since when is the shape of the phone anything important?  It's not the package, it's the contents!
    Of course it's the package as well. That's why they have industrial designers. 
    Design isn't just how something looks, it's also how it works. iPhones work very well. Just like it isn't necessary for new Macs to change shell designs ever iteration, it's not necessary for phones. The form evolves over time, and they don't do change for change's sake. 
    ai46magman1979Soli1983chiamike1netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    If there is any phone manufacturer today that could make a software SIM a reality it is Apple.  Simply put take the iPhone with a software SIM or don't sell it, how many carriers are going to say no to Apple and not sell the iPhone due to a software SIM.  None and its time that Apple forced the issue so others can follow this move.  Their prior attempts to offer a Apple SIM failed since AT&T and others simply locked it to their networks upon registration.  For me its not as critical as it used to be,  I now only buy SIM free Unlocked iPhones which work on any carrier.
    1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    The experiment is there: Xiaomi MiMix. 
    Why can't it be called the XioaMix?  ;)
    dasanman69
  • Reply 24 of 46
    asdasd said:
    eriamjh said:
    Why do you care so much about what the phone looks like when it is OFF?  Don't you look at the screen?  

Since when is the shape of the phone anything important?  It's not the package, it's the contents!
    Design isn't just how something looks, it's also how it works. iPhones work very well. Just like it isn't necessary for new Macs to change shell designs ever iteration, it's not necessary for phones. The form evolves over time, and they don't do change for change's sake. 
    I thought it was hip to call Apple products "stale" even if their existing design was completely and superlatively functional. IOW, they want change for change sake.
    1983baconstangicoco3
  • Reply 25 of 46
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet open and ready. And Apple, how about announcing it on the anniversary date that the first iPhone was announced.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    I think this is exactly what people want from Apple - some ultra-high-tech iPhone, even if it's expensive, just to show what's possible when you push the envelope. Risk taking is something that Apple is not doing as well, not having Steve Jobs (the king of risk taking) leading the way and being there to take the heat when something doesn't work.

To us mere mortals, it looked like Steve was taking risks. In his mind, everything he did made perfect logical sense. I doubt Steve ever felt "this is risky, but let's do it". He always felt "this is the best way to do it. Let's do it".
    1983baconstangnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Soli said:
    So let me guess...we'll get a 7S and 7S Plus largely unchanged and then a new redesigned more expensive model used for the upsell. Anything to get people to spend more money and drive up ASPs.
    If that seems like an obvious tactic then why haven't they done that before? So far, any additional model has been a low-end, as is with the 5C and SE.
    Because it's the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. They want to make a statement device to celebrate that...if this is all true that is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1983 said:
    Soli said:
    So let me guess...we'll get a 7S and 7S Plus largely unchanged and then a new redesigned more expensive model used for the upsell. Anything to get people to spend more money and drive up ASPs.
    If that seems like an obvious tactic then why haven't they done that before? So far, any additional model has been a low-end, as is with the 5C and SE.
    Because it's the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. They want to make a statement device to celebrate that...if this is all true that is.
    You're saying they're waiting to "fleece their customers with extra high pricing" because it wasn't a special enough event for them to "steal from their loyal iSheep"? That makes perfect sense¡
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Soli said:
    I am not sure I need an edge to edge design...I know years ago this was the dream by some...I was looking at my 7 plus today and love it. Trying to figure out the benefit of edge to edge...I can't see one.
    Edge to edge can't be. The experiment is there: Xiaomi MiMix. They had to keep one of the bezels to place the front camera. So at least one bezel is required. The second bezel too is required for gaming in landscape mode. Philippe Starck has completely ignored the gamers in his avant-garde design. One cannot play games with that thing, kids will hate it.
    When people say "edge to edge" I assume they mean the sides, and are not talking about the so-called chin and forehead, which people also want reduced or removed.
    Yes, I suspect that maybe Apple wants the screen to completely rap around the sides of the device so as to replace the side buttons and mute switch with touchscreen haptic feedback equivalents. Still I think such functions are best served by the current setup...we'll see.
    edited December 2016 netmage
  • Reply 30 of 46
    1983 said:
    Soli said:
    I am not sure I need an edge to edge design...I know years ago this was the dream by some...I was looking at my 7 plus today and love it. Trying to figure out the benefit of edge to edge...I can't see one.
    Edge to edge can't be. The experiment is there: Xiaomi MiMix. They had to keep one of the bezels to place the front camera. So at least one bezel is required. The second bezel too is required for gaming in landscape mode. Philippe Starck has completely ignored the gamers in his avant-garde design. One cannot play games with that thing, kids will hate it.
    When people say "edge to edge" I assume they mean the sides, and are not talking about the so-called chin and forehead, which people also want reduced or removed.
    Yes, I suspect that maybe Apple wants the screen to completely rap around the sides of the device so as to replace the side buttons and mute switch with touchscreen haptic feedback equivalents. Still I think such functions are best served by the current setup...we'll see.
    sounds like a gimmick to me. I don't want to keep looking at the side of my iPhone to make sure what "buttons" I'm pressing.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    eriamjh said:

That's not a valid response. I didn't say anything about form vs function. Or how many times an iPhone might change design.  The guy I was responding to said nobody should care about the shape (ie form) of the iPhone, but of course that matters. Hence the very existence of the Apple design group. I find it hard to believe that Apple fans in particular think design doesn't matter. I thought Dell fans believed that. 
  • Reply 32 of 46
    asdasd said:
    eriamjh said:

I thought it was hip to call Apple products "stale" even if their existing design was completely and superlatively functional. IOW, they want change for change sake.
    Who are you arguing with here? Were their posts deleted?

If Apple isn't going to change their design anymore they can hire the intern from Dell who designed the beige box (fully functional) in 1998, after which Dell retired the design team. 

Industrial design matters to Apple. And a new look iPhone will sell like hot cakes. Or the iPhone 6
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Soli said:
    1983 said:
    Soli said:
    You're saying they're waiting to "fleece their customers with extra high pricing" because it wasn't a special enough event for them to "steal from their loyal iSheep"? That makes perfect sense¡
    No I'm not. I'm just saying the 10th anniversary of such a significant product for Apple and the world does deserve a statement product. And such a product if they do it is going to be expensive and of limited availability due to the high-end components they're going to need to use. Anyway it won't be the only thing available, there still will be upgraded phones with the other two models. Such an event doesn't come around often...when's the next milestone going to arrive? The iPhones 20th?
    netmage
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Soli said:
    What about the 6 Plus?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Maybe Vanguard would be more appropriate than Ferrari 
    Except, this way, the whole "car project" thing finally makes sense! 
  • Reply 36 of 46
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    sog35 said:
    Looks like I'm getting a Ferrari next year. Nice.

What price do you think it will be in the US unlocked?  $750? $800?

The great thing about iPHones is you can get the EXACT same phone as Billionaires and Saudi princes.

iPhones are pretty much the only thing on earth that the average person can afford to own that the richest people on the planet also own.
    Only if it comes in red...
  • Reply 37 of 46
    sog35 said:

The great thing about iPHones is you can get the EXACT same phone as Billionaires and Saudi princes.

iPhones are pretty much the only thing on earth that the average person can afford to own that the richest people on the planet also own.
    Coke? Beer? TVs 
  • Reply 38 of 46
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    eriamjh said:

That's not a valid response. I didn't say anything about form vs function. Or how many times an iPhone might change design.  The guy I was responding to said nobody should care about the shape (ie form) of the iPhone, but of course that matters. Hence the very existence of the Apple design group. I find it hard to believe that Apple fans in particular think design doesn't matter. I thought Dell fans believed that. 
    Of course it's a valid response. Going back to rogifan's comment he said it would be unchanged "aesthically" as if that were a bad thing (and used to upsell a different new design), and he was challenged on this since the shell design doesn't need change for change. If your only point was that it has to look good besides work good, well it already does look good. It's never been suggested they'd make it look bad. 
  • Reply 39 of 46
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:

7+ is already at $750 to start with and $850 for the Jet Black. I doubt that Apple would price the Ferrari below $850 to begin with.  
    Byw, you don't get exact phone as the one the prince of Saudi sbut the gut. Their phones either made out of gold or diamond plated. 
  • Reply 40 of 46
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    1983 said:
    Soli said:
    I don't think physical buttons are going anywhere just yet. There are good reasons for keeping at least the power and mute as mechanical switches. Volume less so, but even then the current "hard reset" for a frozen iPhone is the Volume down and Power buttons. With a frozen phone, software switches don't work, and so you need physical switches to restart the phone. It's possible you could get by with just holding the power button down long enough, although that's not ideal.
    cornchip