RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic brings first two PC games to iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Atari has released RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic, an iOS title merging features from the first two RollerCoaster Tycoon PC games, both of which were extremely popular in their original 1999 and 2002 incarnations.

Classic keeps most of 1 and 2's features intact, including park and coaster design tools, and a wide assortment of rides and amenities. The game in fact copies the originals' pixelated, isometric art style, while adjusting the menu system to make it friendlier on the smaller, touch-based displays of iPhones and iPads.

By default, the game includes 95 scenarios from the previous Tycoon titles, but Atari is also selling more material in the form of in-app purchases. These include the Wacky Worlds and Time Twister expansion packs, as well as the Toolkit, which adds separate scenario and ride designers, plus the ability to import and export rides and parks, even ones from RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.

RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic costs $5.99, and runs on devices with iOS 7 or later. The expansions are $1.99 each.

AppleInsider has a review of the title in progress.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I will have to check this out. I hope to see more attempts to bring classics to iOS...price seems ok and I like that I can expand content for a couple bucks. If everyone would just port the classics all over to AppleTV I would be really happy. So much potential.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I spent many hours playing this. I would play it in Virtual PC back in the day. I wish they'd bring it to macOS. I like this one much better than today's versions. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macxpress said:
    I spent many hours playing this. I would play it in Virtual PC back in the day. I wish they'd bring it to macOS. I like this one much better than today's versions. 
    RCT3 for macOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollercoaster-tycoon-3-platinum/id549294099?mt=12

Alternatively, Crossover has good compatibility with the GOG versions of RCT1 and 2.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I want to get off MR BONES WILD RIDE.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I loved rct 3 when I was younger, hope to see these run well.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I’m surprised that they’re able to bring these to iOS, because if I remember correctly (*laughter devolving in to tears*) they were written directly in machine code (that’s why 3 is so ludicrously removed from them; the original two’s creator wasn’t involved and so it was redone from scratch). Maybe the new UI is only tacked on to the base games, but whatever as long as they work as they originally did.