MacBook Pro fails to earn Consumer Reports recommendation for first time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 164
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    digitol said:
    BOOM. 
    Not quite. The battery is possibly failing, not exploding at random. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 164
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    With that kind of battery fluctuation I can understand their decision, but I hope they included a statement about potential software updates resolving this temporary issue. Do they follow up when an issue is resolved?
    So they ran the same test three times on the same machine and got wildly different results each time? 
  • Reply 23 of 164
    Well according to that Bloomberg article, Apple engineers were working on a new battery design for these machines but it wasn't ready in time for the holidays and marketing wanted something to go out so they had to revert to an older design with smaller battery.
    I read about that. makes me wonder if there will be updated MBP in a year or two that will incorporate that new batter design.
  • Reply 24 of 164
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Well according to that Bloomberg article, Apple engineers were working on a new battery design for these machines but it wasn't ready in time for the holidays and marketing wanted something to go out so they had to revert to an older design with smaller battery.
    But the battery life is 1 hour more than previous models, right?
  • Reply 25 of 164
    I saw the new MacBooks in person for the first time today at an Apple store.  I gotta say... looks like a super sweet machine to me.  The only thing that I didn't fall in love with was the keyboard.  After typing on it for a little while, I got used to it... but I don't love it.  Everything else though (TouchBar, chassis, screen, etc).... WOWWW!
    I too think that their keyboards suck.  I like more heft or bulk in my laptops.  I do not understand their obsession with thinness.  Especially now with all the battery problems.  Don't they test these products before they come out?  Come on Apple.  Get your S### together.  
    dysamoriaaknabiviclauyyc
  • Reply 26 of 164
    Soli said:
    Is anyone outside of Apple getting that? Anyway I'm just reporting what was in the Bloomberg article. Sounds like the battery design would have been similar to what they did for the MacBook.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 27 of 164
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Sounds like the battery design would have been similar to what they did for the MacBook.
    Would or should? The 12" MB came out with stepping in the aluminum casing so that layers batteries could advantage of more room without affecting the cases rigidity. I didn't see any of that in the breakdown of the new MBPs.

GeorgeBMacredgeminipa
  • Reply 28 of 164
    They deserve it. The current MBP is a failure. 1. Terrible battery life. 2. Touch Bar is a gimmick. 3. Terrible graphics (worse than last gen) 4. macOS is buggier than before. 5. Overpriced as hell. Was thinking of getting a 15 inch. Not worth it. Will keep using my 2012 13 inch with SSD.
    cgWerksdysamoriaRayz2016pscooter63viclauyyctallest skil
  • Reply 29 of 164
    One would think that with the amount of testing Apple purportedly does before releasing new hardware or software updates, concerns and complaints would be few and far between. One would think……… but in my experience over the last few years, one would be wrong. With the number of engineers, both hardware and software at Apple - this should not be, particularly when one of their claims to fame is that they produce both the hardware and the operating systems - closed loop. Apple support is generally outstanding, but the number of times I've needed to contact them over the last year is overwhelming. I still love my Apple stuff, but am running out of patience when it comes to needing SO much tech support, and then reading articles like this! I'm not about to switch teams, but I'm far less likely to buy new equipment from Apple at anywhere near the rate I had been in order to stay ahead of the curve (as a graphic designer/composer), to stay at the top of my game, since I still do work for select clients (namely Charities, Children's organizations and the Arts) pro bono. I was handsomely rewarded in the past for my work (I've been retired for 8 years) and owe a debt of gratitude to Apple as a partner in my success! In all the time I was in business, I needed their support a mere handful of times. In the last 6 to 7 months it's been non-stop APP support. I've been using computers since 1963 (yup, mainframes to iMacs) so I've been around the tech block more than a few times. I never thought I'd say this, but I really think it's the fault of the man at the top. Tim, get your shyte together, and stop letting Ives, who's forgotten the most basic tenet of design, FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION, make the rules!
    goodbyeranchwaghur123dysamoriasnype719cgWerksRayz2016pscooter63avon b7GeorgeBMacMikeymike
  • Reply 30 of 164
    sdw2001 said:
    Consumer Reports sucks and ruined its reputation years ago.  They rate several superb products on tests that don't make sense.  It's like measuring how a fish climbs a tree with a lot of their stuff.  
    That's hardly what they did in this case. If anything the test was much less demanding than what many users will do with it.
  • Reply 31 of 164
    In a related story, CR rates the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 a "Hot Buy" because of its battery. 
    Solientropyssnype719Rayz2016kamiltonredgeminipa
  • Reply 32 of 164
    I guess Apple just needs to take out more ads in Consumer Reports then. Worked for Toyota. 
    Consumer Reports doesn't take ads. 
    Bull. 
  • Reply 33 of 164
    The main reason MacBook Pro is failing by consumers because Apple Store service is sucks. When you take your laptop for repair they treat like your are doing favor. They act like we are idiot. First thing they will tell you, you will loose your data if they send for any repair and even for just replacing screen/display which is nothing to do with motherboard or hard disk. If you ask pull the hard disk due to important data they will tell you your warranty will be voided. List goes on if I start writing. If they don't change themselves how they treat customers apple wont be selling single mac. It's very frustrating. Apple needs to hire 10-20+ years of experience people. Folks they are Apple Store they don't know how to spell bash or motherboard. 
  • Reply 34 of 164
    One would think that with the amount of testing Apple purportedly does before releasing new hardware or software updates, concerns and complaints would be few and far between. One would think……… but in my experience over the last few years, one would be wrong. With the number of engineers, both hardware and software at Apple - this should not be, particularly when one of their claims to fame is that they produce both the hardware and the operating systems - closed loop. Apple support is generally outstanding, but the number of times I've needed to contact them over the last year is overwhelming. I still love my Apple stuff, but am running out of patience when it comes to needing SO much tech support, and then reading articles like this! I'm not about to switch teams, but I'm far less likely to buy new equipment from Apple at anywhere near the rate I had been in order to stay ahead of the curve (as a graphic designer/composer), to stay at the top of my game, since I still do work for select clients (namely Charities, Children's organizations and the Arts) pro bono. I was handsomely rewarded in the past for my work (I've been retired for 8 years) and owe a debt of gratitude to Apple as a partner in my success! In all the time I was in business, I needed their support a mere handful of times. In the last 6 to 7 months it's been non-stop APP support. I've been using computers since 1963 (yup, mainframes to iMacs) so I've been around the tech block more than a few times. I never thought I'd say this, but I really think it's the fault of the man at the top. Tim, get your shyte together, and stop letting Ives, who's forgotten the most basic tenet of design, FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION, make the rules!

• Reply 35 of 164
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    After testing a unit I can see there are some software optimisations needed. I.E. Some quite heavy tasks were quick and snappy, while some lighter tasks weren't as proportionally fast. Which also might play into certain power hungry reports. While I appreciate what consumer reports are doing here - if they think people buy macs based on their recommendation, then they're living in a bubble.
    Average consumers definitely use those recommendations. 
  • Reply 36 of 164
    I guess Apple just needs to take out more ads in Consumer Reports then. Worked for Toyota. 
    Bull. 
    I don't understand your comment. Because you say it isn't so, that is reality?? It might be YOUR reality. But it is clear that you are not familiar with Consumer Reports in the slightest.  They have never, ever, ever had advertisements in their magazine since it started EIGHTY YEARS AGO. But hey, you know everything, right? 
    [Deleted User]singularity
  • Reply 37 of 164
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Bull. 
    It's right there:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Reports
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 38 of 164
    Understand that Consumer Reports is all about advertising money. You cant believe anything. I am loving my new MacBook Pro. There is no machine out there that can compare. I am happy, life is good. Go review a windows machine :(
    jkichlineredgeminipa
  • Reply 39 of 164
    I am glad to see Consumer Reports and the Bloomberg report confirming what many people already knew.  Also glad to see most people on this thread agree that Apple needs to do better.  I love Apple, but there is nothing wrong with demanding more from a company that demands more from its consumers (see PRICE).  The latest MBP release is a failure. I don't care what Apple *claims* its sales to be. When have you seen up to $350 off new models so soon in to their lifespan??  Apple may be trying to play it cool in public but I bet heads are rolling behind closed doors.  I just hope my 2010 15" MBP with upgraded SSD and 8GB ram can hold out another year+ until the next release.
    snype719
  • Reply 40 of 164
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Smaller won't explain those wild swings in hours. That's something in software. 
    GeorgeBMac