No, Apple did not switch to USB-C on its new MacBook Pros to profit from dongle & adapter sales

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,540member
    The way they did it takes all those users "not clear on why they should desire" USB-C and pulls them right over: it doesn't matter whether you desire it or not; it's the future of wired connectivity, full stop. 

No confusion, no doubts - just one clear statement: if you buy our machines, this is what you're getting. 

FWIW, the teething pains have been pretty minor for me so far, and I consider myself an early adopter, having bought in November. One cheap 20€ MIDI interface stopped working, and one ancient FireWire interface that was getting wonky and had already had its internal power supply and one of the FW ports toasted by an inattentive backliner won't work properly through the adapters. 

I rather like that my power supply can also fast-charge my iPad and iPhone (via the USB-C --> Lightning cable I bought), and being able to attach the power cable on either side is actually very useful especially in varied settings as a freelancer, both on various desks and onstage. 

Having to get up and fetch the USB-C --> USB-A dongle for some USB stick occasionally is a rare and minor annoyance. 
    Soli
  • Reply 122 of 126
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cropr said:
    fallenjt said:
    AI_lias said:
    "Simply put, the number of people buying iPhones vastly outnumbers the number of customers who purchase new Macs"

Why didn't they just throw on in each laptop box, not with each iPhone?
    I haven't used any wired connection from my phone to any Mac in my house for 2 years. That's the reason why and I believe most iPhone users don't either.
    For most professional use, like iOS app development, the wired solution is the only possibility 
    If you are an iOS dev who can't afford a USB-C adaptor then you aren't a pro.  This is a complete non-issue for iOS developers.
    Soli
  • Reply 123 of 126
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    jlandd said:
    It's clear that USB-C is a great development and the next standard.  But I think Apple once again blew the introduction of a future new standard. Way too much teething pain, especially as the only option on new laptops for the casual user who doesn't rationalize away the issues that are minor but affect them.  For a port that's been out for as long as it has there are more than its share of quirks not solved and new ones showing up (noticing the HDMI flicker post here (might be the adapter, might be the 12" MBP, either way it seems to be a legit problem somewhere related to USB-C hardware).  A lot of Mac users less technically inclined and forward thinking as forum members just want to upgrade from their older MBP and use their existing peripherals.   Despite the fact that Apple only makes transitions in a fairly abrupt and total manner, they should have made it easier for the average consumer to use a new laptop, whether it's supplying most of the necessary accessories with the purchase or whatever.  

It's similar to their introduction of Thunderbolt ports, which had a large percentage of prospective users not clear on why they should desire it.   Fortunately, we're not missing the peripherals to plug into USB-C like we were for so long then, but I still get a sense talking to my less computer savvy friends that they don't know why they should think the new configuration is such a great thing, and it takes a bit of luster off of getting a new Apple laptop.
    Everything about thunderbolt was expensive. This made it impractical for items with mass appeal and limited it to higher priced accessories. It was more like a replacement for firewire than USB in that regard. I guess the USB-C version could be different.
  • Reply 124 of 126
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hmm said:
    jlandd said:
    It's clear that USB-C is a great development and the next standard.  But I think Apple once again blew the introduction of a future new standard. Way too much teething pain, especially as the only option on new laptops for the casual user who doesn't rationalize away the issues that are minor but affect them.  For a port that's been out for as long as it has there are more than its share of quirks not solved and new ones showing up (noticing the HDMI flicker post here (might be the adapter, might be the 12" MBP, either way it seems to be a legit problem somewhere related to USB-C hardware).  A lot of Mac users less technically inclined and forward thinking as forum members just want to upgrade from their older MBP and use their existing peripherals.   Despite the fact that Apple only makes transitions in a fairly abrupt and total manner, they should have made it easier for the average consumer to use a new laptop, whether it's supplying most of the necessary accessories with the purchase or whatever.  

It's similar to their introduction of Thunderbolt ports, which had a large percentage of prospective users not clear on why they should desire it.   Fortunately, we're not missing the peripherals to plug into USB-C like we were for so long then, but I still get a sense talking to my less computer savvy friends that they don't know why they should think the new configuration is such a great thing, and it takes a bit of luster off of getting a new Apple laptop.
    Everything about thunderbolt was expensive. This made it impractical for items with mass appeal and limited it to higher priced accessories. It was more like a replacement for firewire than USB in that regard. I guess the USB-C version could be different.
    Thunderbolt was never a replacement for USB. Even now, with USB 3.x and USB-C standards, TB still has evolved well past what it can do and is still useful for its intended role in computing. If there's any direct replacement to made, it's with video data, but even that is a bit tricky.
  • Reply 125 of 126
    And if you believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Cables have the highest mark-up of any computer related product (including ink cartridges). Just ask anyone who has access to the true cost prices. When I worked in a computer store years ago, there was more money in a SCSI cable sale, than there was in the original CPU sale.