Energous CEO makes tenuous reference to future iPhone as leading platform for wireless cha...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    gatorguy said:
    JinTech said:
    I'm thinking Apple will treat this similar to when they came out with wifi and the Airport Base Station. Apple will take this technology, give it a cool name, include the chip in products moving forward, and sell the base stations for those that want to use it. Apple is the perfect company to take a new technology and make it mainstream.

Maybe Apple's obsession with thinness at the cost of battery is because they envision a future where your devices get a little trickle charge most places you go, extending your battery indefinitely.

If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

Eventually, I would guess Apple wants this to be mainstream and accessible everywhere, much like wifi. I'm sure they'll have an exclusive on it for a while, but eventually having a third party offer it to the masses is the way to go. The chip manufacturer partnering with Energous for production would be my guess as a company who would acquire them. 
    You bring up good points. What if the "restructuring" of their router (Airport) division is really smoke and mirrors to revamp their routers to include this technology built in, in addition to being 802.11ac compliant? Also, what would stop Apple from including this technology in their beacons? This way anytime you go to say a sporting event, your phone is being charged, while you're out in public. I can see this really exploding for Apple and really turning into a major game changer for them!
    According to Energous the unnamed company that we are only assuming is Apple doesn't have an exclusive licence to their solutions. They announced this week that they now have "partnerships with a Bluetooth speaker company, a hearing aid manufacturer, and a touch and pen firm, and more." with products on the way from those partners throughout 2017. Of course considering all the noise it would not be at all surprising if one of the companies releasing a product with Energous components is Apple. Perhaps the Apple Pencil will be one of the first, maybe along with or shortly before the Apple Watch? Just guessing.
    Of course if Energous is working with Apple, they cannot say anything as they are under strict NDA so there is a very good chance Apple is working very closely with them to include this technology in future hardware updates. It would be interesting if Apple could even include the charging products built into their computers to make charging even more seamless.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    I would be concerned for the health of anything standing within these 18 feets :-<
  • Reply 23 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    JinTech said:
    gatorguy said:
    JinTech said:
    I'm thinking Apple will treat this similar to when they came out with wifi and the Airport Base Station. Apple will take this technology, give it a cool name, include the chip in products moving forward, and sell the base stations for those that want to use it. Apple is the perfect company to take a new technology and make it mainstream.

Maybe Apple's obsession with thinness at the cost of battery is because they envision a future where your devices get a little trickle charge most places you go, extending your battery indefinitely.

If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

Eventually, I would guess Apple wants this to be mainstream and accessible everywhere, much like wifi. I'm sure they'll have an exclusive on it for a while, but eventually having a third party offer it to the masses is the way to go. The chip manufacturer partnering with Energous for production would be my guess as a company who would acquire them. 
    You bring up good points. What if the "restructuring" of their router (Airport) division is really smoke and mirrors to revamp their routers to include this technology built in, in addition to being 802.11ac compliant? Also, what would stop Apple from including this technology in their beacons? This way anytime you go to say a sporting event, your phone is being charged, while you're out in public. I can see this really exploding for Apple and really turning into a major game changer for them!
    According to Energous the unnamed company that we are only assuming is Apple doesn't have an exclusive licence to their solutions. They announced this week that they now have "partnerships with a Bluetooth speaker company, a hearing aid manufacturer, and a touch and pen firm, and more." with products on the way from those partners throughout 2017. Of course considering all the noise it would not be at all surprising if one of the companies releasing a product with Energous components is Apple. Perhaps the Apple Pencil will be one of the first, maybe along with or shortly before the Apple Watch? Just guessing.
    Of course if Energous is working with Apple, they cannot say anything as they are under strict NDA so there is a very good chance Apple is working very closely with them to include this technology in future hardware updates. It would be interesting if Apple could even include the charging products built into their computers to make charging even more seamless.
    I'm calling bull on this whole storyline.  
    If this technology was so good apple
    would have either bought them or gotten
    exclusive rights to it.  

Either way until this wireless charging
    at great distances shows up it sounds
    a little too much like the GT Advanced
    Technology deal where Cook got
    hoodwinked.
    edited January 2017