Energous CEO makes tenuous reference to future iPhone as leading platform for wireless cha...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Wireless charging company Energous has declared at the Consumer Electronics Show that its first wireless transmitters will ship before the end of 2017, and be embedded in "one of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world."




"I cannot tell you who it is," Energous CEO Steve Rizzone told The Verge. "But, I can virtually guarantee that you have products from this company on your person, sitting on your desk, or at home."

The company claims that it will demonstrate a wireless charger with a range of up to 18 feet, as well as a charging pad.

In December, Energous inked a deal to develop and market hardware components through longtime Apple chip supplier Dialog Semiconductor, suggesting a future iPhone might support similar technology.

Apple is Dialog's biggest consumer electronics contract, and is believed to account for more than 70 percent of the firm's revenues. Further, Energous in a recent quarterly conference call said "most, if not all, of Energous' early adopters are existing Dialog customers."

Under the deal's terms, Dialog is investing $10 million in Energous to become the firm's exclusive component supplier. For Energous, the partnership grants access to Dialog's sales and distribution channels

Energous has previously cranked up the rumor mill itself, however. In March 2015, the company revealed a development and licensing agreement with a "tier one" consumer electronics company, and name-checked Apple in a regulatory filing.

Energous was last at CES in 2015, and claimed that it would be shipping before the end of that year, as well.

Apple's 2017 iPhone lineup, said to be called either the "iPhone 7S" or 'iPhone 8," or both, are rumored to be incorporating some form of wireless charging technology.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    Cool stuff, but does it really work?  Today?  18 ft?  Sounds amazing.  Sorry for being skeptical but almost too amazing.  We'll see soon enough I suppose.
    repressthis
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,777member
    Makes me wonder where Apple might put the transmitters for this system? A standalone device? A smart speaker? A new "wireless" router for both power and WiFi? In their new desktop systems? A new Apple TV?
    repressthistmay
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 189member
    jcdinkins said:
    Cool stuff, but does it really work?  Today?  18 ft?  Sounds amazing.  Sorry for being skeptical but almost too amazing.  We'll see soon enough I suppose.
    I'm with you, but I'm also of the belief that if Apple is going to roll out wireless charging, that it will not involve an iPhone sitting haphazardly on an ugly charging mat like every other solution to date. Apple might copy others, but they copy and "raise" the bet substantially. 

    "Our charging mat is made by Hermes," will not be a selling point. 

    "Hide this charger in your nightstand, and your iPhone will charge from anywhere within 20 feet," is sexy as hell. 

    I already have the keynote script: 

    Similar to Jobs' putting the iBook through a hula-hoop to prove wirelessly connectivity, Cook will walk up, pull out the iPhone, hold it in his hand. On the screen behind him is a mirrored feed of his iPhone. In the upper-right corner of the display we'll all see the battery icon; however, it'll be green and next to it will be a lightning bolt icon. 

    "Yes, my iPhone is currently charging." 

    Standing ovation. 
    edited January 2017 king editor the gratemike1jcdinkinstechprod1gyrepressthisDonvermomrboba1cali
  • Reply 4 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,422member
    Energous was last at CES in 2015, and claimed that it would be shipping before the end of that year, as well.
    Amateurs. I'm reminded of a certain bullshiting fuel cell company. Stock pump and dump bullshit. Would love to see some guys like this go to jail.
    repressthis
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Also will cook a chicken at 9 feet!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ireland said:
    Energous was last at CES in 2015, and claimed that it would be shipping before the end of that year, as well.
    Amateurs. I'm reminded of a certain bullshiting fuel cell company. Stock pump and dump bullshit. Would love to see some guys like this go to jail.
    Good call on that.  I think it pays to be skeptical here.  These guys have stalled over the past few years and had excuses every time.  They did however apparently show a demo with phones charging upwards of 15 ft away from a large wireless charging transmitter (about the size of two laptops), so there is still hope that it could happen.  They said they were working to make the device about 1/6th that size so they needed more time to do so and miniaturize the receivers as well.  We'll see.
    repressthis
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Will be interesting to watch WATT after hours.  Looks like it's already up 1.5% so the p&d looks to be in effect already.
    repressthis
  • Reply 8 of 23
    If true.. this is some seriously exciting news!!!..... barring people health concerns.
    repressthiscali
  • Reply 9 of 23
    wigbywigby Posts: 680member
    ireland said:
    Energous was last at CES in 2015, and claimed that it would be shipping before the end of that year, as well.
    Amateurs. I'm reminded of a certain bullshiting fuel cell company. Stock pump and dump bullshit. Would love to see some guys like this go to jail.
    You may be right but if Energous partnered with someone as big as Apple in 2015 as was rumored, Apple would be calling all the shots for the product's capabilities and release date. Apple could be waiting for the power receiving chipset to fit into the 2017 iphone.
    repressthisgatorguycali
  • Reply 10 of 23
    wigbywigby Posts: 680member
    jcdinkins said:
    ireland said:
    Energous was last at CES in 2015, and claimed that it would be shipping before the end of that year, as well.
    Amateurs. I'm reminded of a certain bullshiting fuel cell company. Stock pump and dump bullshit. Would love to see some guys like this go to jail.
    Good call on that.  I think it pays to be skeptical here.  These guys have stalled over the past few years and had excuses every time.  They did however apparently show a demo with phones charging upwards of 15 ft away from a large wireless charging transmitter (about the size of two laptops), so there is still hope that it could happen.  They said they were working to make the device about 1/6th that size so they needed more time to do so and miniaturize the receivers as well.  We'll see.
    Everyone is also overlooking the fact that Energous themselves have outlined releases for versions that support charging over a few inches, charging over a few feet and hen the one that makes headlines. Does anyone really believe that all of these different technologies will be released simultaneously in 2017? 

    Apple will release an iPhone charging mat accessory for cars and desktop use in 2017. In 2018 Apple will release one that works with all their laptops and desktops to charge iOS devices a few feet away. Then in 2019 we'll get the 15 foot wireless charging for homes and businesses. It's so obvious.

    Apple doesn't have to rush the best version to market for the next few years because they have exclusivity relationship with Energous.
    edited January 2017 repressthiscalipatchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,290member
    wigby said:
    jcdinkins said:
    ireland said:
    Energous was last at CES in 2015, and claimed that it would be shipping before the end of that year, as well.
    Amateurs. I'm reminded of a certain bullshiting fuel cell company. Stock pump and dump bullshit. Would love to see some guys like this go to jail.
    Good call on that.  I think it pays to be skeptical here.  These guys have stalled over the past few years and had excuses every time.  They did however apparently show a demo with phones charging upwards of 15 ft away from a large wireless charging transmitter (about the size of two laptops), so there is still hope that it could happen.  They said they were working to make the device about 1/6th that size so they needed more time to do so and miniaturize the receivers as well.  We'll see.
    Everyone is also overlooking the fact that Energous themselves have outlined releases for versions that support charging over a few inches, charging over a few feet and hen the one that makes headlines. Does anyone really believe that all of these different technologies will be released simultaneously in 2017? 

    Apple will release an iPhone charging mat accessory for cars and desktop use in 2017. In 2018 Apple will release one that works with all their laptops and desktops to charge iOS devices a few feet away. Then in 2019 we'll get the 15 foot wireless charging for homes and businesses. It's so obvious.

    Apple doesn't have to rush the best version to market for the next few years because they have exclusivity relationship with Energous.
    As alluded to in the AI article, Energous @CES 2015:
    "Each hub ($200-300 each!!) has a 15-foot charging radius from its core, so if you have a device in the center of a room, that means it has a 30-foot charging distance from end-to-end. Depending on how much power you’d like to give off at one time, these hubs can charge up to 24 devices at once. Energous has also partnered up with various companies to create receiver cases to place on your mobile devices that enables them to charge wirelessly...
    ...Energous says they plan on making consumer-ready products available sometime around the end of 2015, but most products won’t hit the market until sometime in 2016."

    Then from CES 2016:
    "The new device that the company  (Energous) has been showing off is a simple looking USB dongle, which features Energous’ new small form factor and lower cost RF charging IC. The chip measures just 3 x 3 mm, meaning that it is perfectly suitable for wearables. However, Energous still doesn’t have any products on the shelves yet, so it has housed the IC in a USB dongle that can connect up to other wearable charging ports. Energous demonstrated the chip charging a Fitbit, a Bluetooth headset and a LED light system at around 6-inches away from the charging hub. At this distance, the chip still managed to provide the same amount of power as their respective wired chargers do. Furthermore, a USB solution like this shouldn’t add a notable cost over a regular charging dock. The company has been sending evaluation units out and also has a contract with a “tier one” manufacturer (meant to imply Apple), but can’t reveal much more than that. The company is to produce millions of chips and transmitters for the unspecified device, which will launch around the end of the year."

    And now this year at CES:
    "At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the company announced partnerships with a Bluetooth speaker company, a hearing aid manufacturer, and a touch and pen firm, and more.

    “Having our partners unveil the first of many WattUp-enabled products is a huge milestone in our vision of creating a strong ecosystem for wireless charging,” Energous president and CEO Stephen R. Rizzone said in a press release. “Working with these innovative and agile partners enables us to take that first step into shifting the entire paradigm of how we use, charge, and manage devices today. We are grateful to these early partners for pioneering the future with us and look forward to additional growth in commercially available WattUp-enabled products throughout 2017.”

    edited January 2017 repressthisirelandpatchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 23
    If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

    cali
  • Reply 13 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,422member
    mtbnut said:
    I already have the keynote script: 

    Similar to Jobs' putting the iBook through a hula-hoop to prove wirelessly connectivity, Cook will walk up, pull out the iPhone, hold it in his hand. On the screen behind him is a mirrored feed of his iPhone. In the upper-right corner of the display we'll all see the battery icon; however, it'll be green and next to it will be a lightning bolt icon. 

    "Yes, my iPhone is currently charging."
    I think an on stage handheld camera feed of the iPhone in his hand would work better than a mirrored feed of his iPhones display, as that would have a huge cable draping from his iPhone.

    From the crowd:
    'Of course it's charging... it's plugged in'.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 14 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,422member
    jcdinkins said:
    Will be interesting to watch WATT after hours.  Looks like it's already up 1.5% so the p&d looks to be in effect already.
    A public company they are? Someone shoot this CEO. A metaphor of course NSA.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I'm thinking Apple will treat this similar to when they came out with wifi and the Airport Base Station. Apple will take this technology, give it a cool name, include the chip in products moving forward, and sell the base stations for those that want to use it. Apple is the perfect company to take a new technology and make it mainstream.

    Maybe Apple's obsession with thinness at the cost of battery is because they envision a future where your devices get a little trickle charge most places you go, extending your battery indefinitely.


    If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

    Eventually, I would guess Apple wants this to be mainstream and accessible everywhere, much like wifi. I'm sure they'll have an exclusive on it for a while, but eventually having a third party offer it to the masses is the way to go. The chip manufacturer partnering with Energous for production would be my guess as a company who would acquire them. 
    tmaycali
  • Reply 16 of 23
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 316member
    I'm thinking Apple will treat this similar to when they came out with wifi and the Airport Base Station. Apple will take this technology, give it a cool name, include the chip in products moving forward, and sell the base stations for those that want to use it. Apple is the perfect company to take a new technology and make it mainstream.

    Maybe Apple's obsession with thinness at the cost of battery is because they envision a future where your devices get a little trickle charge most places you go, extending your battery indefinitely.


    If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

    Eventually, I would guess Apple wants this to be mainstream and accessible everywhere, much like wifi. I'm sure they'll have an exclusive on it for a while, but eventually having a third party offer it to the masses is the way to go. The chip manufacturer partnering with Energous for production would be my guess as a company who would acquire them. 
    You bring up good points. What if the "restructuring" of their router (Airport) division is really smoke and mirrors to revamp their routers to include this technology built in, in addition to being 802.11ac compliant? Also, what would stop Apple from including this technology in their beacons? This way anytime you go to say a sporting event, your phone is being charged, while you're out in public. I can see this really exploding for Apple and really turning into a major game changer for them!
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 899member
    mtbnut said:
    jcdinkins said:
    Cool stuff, but does it really work?  Today?  18 ft?  Sounds amazing.  Sorry for being skeptical but almost too amazing.  We'll see soon enough I suppose.
    I'm with you, but I'm also of the belief that if Apple is going to roll out wireless charging, that it will not involve an iPhone sitting haphazardly on an ugly charging mat like every other solution to date. Apple might copy others, but they copy and "raise" the bet substantially. 

    "Our charging mat is made by Hermes," will not be a selling point. 

    "Hide this charger in your nightstand, and your iPhone will charge from anywhere within 20 feet," is sexy as hell. 

    I already have the keynote script: 

    Similar to Jobs' putting the iBook through a hula-hoop to prove wirelessly connectivity, Cook will walk up, pull out the iPhone, hold it in his hand. On the screen behind him is a mirrored feed of his iPhone. In the upper-right corner of the display we'll all see the battery icon; however, it'll be green and next to it will be a lightning bolt icon. 

    "Yes, my iPhone is currently charging." 

    Standing ovation. 
    I would think a Homekit enabled LED Light globe would be a choice location for such technology.
    Add other features to homeKit lights as well would be cool. Siri Globe with satellite speaker globes maybe.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I can't wait for Apple to deliver a phone with wireless charging. I'm currently using a Qi tag to charge my iPhone 7 Plus wirelessly and love it, but it has limitations (it's slower than wired charging, and a little finicky about placement). It would be wonderful to see them introduce a better technology.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 5,628member
    If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

    I think you answered your own question.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,290member
    JinTech said:
    I'm thinking Apple will treat this similar to when they came out with wifi and the Airport Base Station. Apple will take this technology, give it a cool name, include the chip in products moving forward, and sell the base stations for those that want to use it. Apple is the perfect company to take a new technology and make it mainstream.

    Maybe Apple's obsession with thinness at the cost of battery is because they envision a future where your devices get a little trickle charge most places you go, extending your battery indefinitely.


    If it's true (and I am sure it is) I wonder
    why apple doesn't buy the company  Considering the Apple Watch and any other wearable they make will use this tech.

    Eventually, I would guess Apple wants this to be mainstream and accessible everywhere, much like wifi. I'm sure they'll have an exclusive on it for a while, but eventually having a third party offer it to the masses is the way to go. The chip manufacturer partnering with Energous for production would be my guess as a company who would acquire them. 
    You bring up good points. What if the "restructuring" of their router (Airport) division is really smoke and mirrors to revamp their routers to include this technology built in, in addition to being 802.11ac compliant? Also, what would stop Apple from including this technology in their beacons? This way anytime you go to say a sporting event, your phone is being charged, while you're out in public. I can see this really exploding for Apple and really turning into a major game changer for them!
    According to Energous the unnamed company that we are only assuming is Apple doesn't have an exclusive licence to their solutions. They announced this week that they now have "partnerships with a Bluetooth speaker company, a hearing aid manufacturer, and a touch and pen firm, and more." with products on the way from those partners throughout 2017. Of course considering all the noise it would not be at all surprising if one of the companies releasing a product with Energous components is Apple. Perhaps the Apple Pencil will be one of the first, maybe along with or shortly before the Apple Watch? Just guessing.
    edited January 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.