Apple rivals Samsung & LG aiming for foldable phones by end of 2017

Posted:
in iPhone
Two of Apple's competitors in the smartphone space -- Samsung and LG -- may launch their first foldable phones towards the end of the year, potentially dampening the "wow" factor of a redesigned "iPhone 8."

Samsung is likely to announce a phone in the third quarter, sources told the English-language Korea Herald. The planned device will supposedly unfold into a 7-inch tablet, something so far unseen in the commercial space.

The company is said to have finished development of "fold-in" phones around August, but realized a "fold-out" design would be more convenient, since fold-in requires a person to unfold a phone before it can be used. The switchover was easy, one source said.

Although the product is technically complete, several sources said Samsung is holding off on a decision about releasing it this year because of potential profit and marketability issues. That decision should be made, however, after an executive shuffle of Samsung Electronics is carried out in February or March -- it was originally due in December, but the company's alleged involvement in a political scandal with Korean President Park Geun-hye led to a delay.

Only about 100,000 units of the Samsung phone would be available in the third quarter, one of the sources commented.

LG is also starting with 100,000 units, but in the fourth quarter of the year, another source said. Despite plans to ship later, LG is claimed to have more advanced technology than Samsung, with a two- to three-year head start on development.

The Herald suggested that LG could offer the technology to outside companies like Apple or Huawei. If so, Apple is unlikely to have any foldable products out this year -- this fall's "iPhone 8" is expected to have a 5.1- or 5.2-inch curved OLED display, rather than a foldable one.

Rumors have also pointed to it having a "glass sandwich" design with a stainless steel chassis in the middle, something inconsistent with foldable technology. Apple might be forced to wait until 2018, if not later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Not sure why I would need or want this in a phone but can't be firm on this thought until I see what they are thinking...just seems like the wrong place to apply the technology. Yes there may be a niche for someone who wants to pull a iPad size device out of their pocket but just not sure.
    lkruppredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    It will be interesting to see how a foldable screen will not end up with a permanent crease. Also, a foldable device will inevitably have a hinge, which is a point of failure. 
    redgeminipanetmagenetroxration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Wow, a flip phone. The future has finally arrived!
    redgeminipamike1Rayz2016rayboGeorgeBMacpulseimagesgeorgie01pscooter63boltsfan17watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This looks like a gimmick to me, a nerd’s wet dream maybe, but impractical for the common user. There have been a lot of “innovations” lately that have not caught on with the mass market, like VR, smartwatches, and curved screen TVs for example. Apple has always seemed to want to make products that appeal to the majority. I may be wrong but I can’t remember Apple making a product targeting a specific niche market, like gamers or hard core techies. These types of innovations seem to be more “Look at what we did!” than game changing. As always, time will tell.

Meanwhile...

Two of Apple's competitors in the smartphone space -- Samsung and LG -- may launch their first foldable phones towards the end of the year, potentially dampening the "wow" factor of a redesigned "iPhone 8."

Perfect example of click bait and totally unnecessary snark.
    netmage
  • Reply 5 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    If history is any indication, they will rush out folding phones just to beat Apple to the market. They will perform poorly in one way or another. A year later, if the market seems to want it, Apple will introduce their idea of a folding screen that will be sleeker and more elegant as well as overcoming issues that plagued the Samsung and LG models. Not first to market, but best to market.
    netmageGeorgeBMacpulseimagesbadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Here's the thing about Apple's so called rivals innovating on their own instead of copying Apple, they may get it wrong and they only have 5% of the smart phone profits between them all!  

Meanwhile, we have the Watch.  This is the first time an Watch entered our family eco system, I bought my wife a Mk 2 for Christmas.  She is a busy Realtor and has found she rarely uses her iPhone now, it stays in her hand bag for the most part unless she needs a camera, she is using her 'Dick Tracey' wrist phone and wrist mounted Siri assistant all the time now (or her hands free in the car).  I have to confess being a Mac guy rather than an iOS one (Netflix on my iPad and an iPhone for the odd phone call is about it for iOS for me) I had no idea they could even act as a wrist phone!  So if I offered her a folding smart phone she'd laugh at me.  

As an aside, My wife has found that others are amazed she can use her Watch the way she does and they confess they had no idea it could be a wrist phone either.  I bet she's has been responsible for a dozen Watch sales in the last few weeks.
    edited January 2017 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:

“Two of Apple's competitors in the smartphone space -- Samsung and LG -- may launch their first foldable phones towards the end of the year, potentially dampening the "wow" factor of a redesigned "iPhone 8."

Perfect example of click bait and totally unnecessary snark.
    Yes, that was cringingly desperate, even for this site. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Do I iron this when I make wrinkles? So now I would be able carry it in small box? How practical is that? While I could understand flexibility of device I cannot ujnderstand ability to fold. Sounds redundant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 46

MacPro said:

As an aside, My wife has found that others are amazed she can use her Watch the way she does and they confess they had no idea it could be a wrist phone either.  I bet she's has been responsible for a dozen Watch sales in the last few weeks.
    Yup, the first time my Apple Watch rang I nearly off my chair. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 46

hexclock said:
    It will be interesting to see how a foldable screen will not end up with a permanent crease. Also, a foldable device will inevitably have a hinge, which is a point of failure. 
    Yes, that's the thing. The screen now has a weak point, which will get weaker the more you use it. Maybe they should go with those scroll phones like on Earth:Final Conflict. 
    netmage
  • Reply 11 of 46
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    So what happens when a foldable screen breaks? Is it sharp? Does it leak something?

I'd hate for something that's sharp break near my femoral artery.
    edited January 2017 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 46
    The problem is battery.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Rayz2016 said:

MacPro said:

Yup, the first time my Apple Watch rang I nearly off my chair. 
    LOL, same happened with us!  Perhaps Apple need to market this feature better.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Most of the time making a physical contraption that tries to be two things in one fails. Boat-car, car-plane, etc. Where it does work is in software. iPhone: music player, internet device, phone. Making "Transformers" is really cool for sci-fi and toys, but in the real world people just don't want to deal with fiddly unfolding and reconfiguring just to get something that does nothing well and everything in a compromised way. 
    edited January 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Don't you see guys, Sammy is making the Note 7 into a smaller grenade.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    The display doesn't look folded, only bendable. Either way, I'd like to know how they manufactured it to contain all the computer hardware, including (as @RodrigoFreijanes mentioned) the battery. It's my understanding Apple is the king of thin battery design and manufacturing so unless Samsung and LG have their hardware and battery in the cloud, I don't see how they'll do it. I know Intel is showing their Compute Card but even that is 5mm thick and not bendable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    sog35 said:
    Most of the time making a physical contraption that tries to be two things in one fails. Boat-car, car-plane, etc. Where it does work is in software. iPhone: music player, internet device, phone. Making "Transformers" is really cool for sci-fi and toys, but in the real world people just don't want to deal with fiddly unfolding and reconfiguring just to get something that does nothing well and everything in a compromised way. 
    come on dude. You don't remember the flip phones of the past with dual screens?

this is just taking that to the next level.
    Is that an argument for or against mine?
  • Reply 18 of 46
    The problem is not only the hinge and the display will be stressed in the folding part, you will damage pixels in time, the fluidness of the display when unfolded will be compromised, you will see the difference, the display wont be uniform.

But another problem is the covering glass. How will the capacitive reception work on something like plastic? Can be "glass" folded and unfolded? Yes, it can, but it is extremely expensive and you can only bend it, not "fold", not in that small form factor.

Will the bend have weaker "glass/plastic" where you will see scratches after time, more so when this "fold" is wrapping one side of the phone with the display? Will the plastic be waterproof? That is a problem right now, but can be maybe solved. It probably wont be as hard as glass, therefore you can scratch it every time you put it in your pocket.

What happens when you drop it on this "fold"? Plastic is more flexible than glass, so it can better handle impacts, but how will it affect the pixels, or the capacitive layer?

Clearly, Samsung (and others) has a BENDABLE! (not FOLDABLE!) display, but doesn't know what to do with it. To build around it a fully working phone without these compromises is another story and much more difficult. When it happens, it will be just a PR prototype, I don't see any commercially viable product in the near future of lets say 2-3 years. And thats very optimistic.
    edited January 2017 Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    sog35 said:
    doors open and shut thousands of times without breaking.
    Door hinges are made with 1/8 inch thick steel or brass. The hinge on a phone or other device would be much thinner than that. Another problem is how to maintain electrical connectivity between the two halves of the device when in its folded position. As I said, it will be interesting to see how these issues are solved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 46
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Sorry, but bendable display does not equal foldable phone. Are these people morons? It's just like all those people who want a phone that appears to be nothing but a sheet of glass. Phones are more than the displays. There are a lot more components that are needed to make it work, most importantly the circuit board and battery.
    watto_cobra