Apple's fourth beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.3 warns if display brightness affects MacBook ba...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
In a bid to extend battery life, the latest beta of macOS Sierra introduces a new option to the Mac's battery menu that will reduce the brightness of the display if it is above 75 percent.

Released to testers last week, the fourth macOS Sierra 10.12.3 beta adds "Display Brightness" as one of the options within the battery menu. First spotted by MacRumors, the warning only appears if the MacBook is set to a display brightness above 75 percent, with it unavailable if the user has selected a lower brightness setting.

Clicking the Display Brightness warning will automatically lower the brightness of the screen down to 75 percent. The setting also reduces down to 75 percent if the beta is installed on a MacBook with a higher brightness level already set.

The new option expands the usefulness of the battery level, which already warns users of apps that are drawing significant amounts of power.

The USB-C based 2016 MacBook Pro has received stiff criticism since its launch, with some owners complaining about a lower battery life than anticipated, though Apple apparently has not seen any real trend in battery issues. As Apple uses 75 percent as the setting for its own battery life tests, it is plausible some who tend to go brighter may see power durations get closer to what they expected using the setting.

Battery life issues have also affected Consumer Reports, which recently changed its stance and is now recommending the new MacBook Pro to consumers. After failing in the initial tests and the discovery that a hidden setting in Safari affected battery life, the product testing group tried again using a macOS 10.12.3 beta, with the software changes preventing the unexpected battery drain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Why stop there? There are so many more ways to maintain better battery life for the sake of thinness. Throttle the processor down to 500mhz. Lower the speed of the RAM to 500mhz, Or better yet, shut down the whole computer. That will surely save battery life. I mean, that sucks but just look how thin it is.
    avon b7schlackdjames4242baconstangelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 30
    i have the 13" non tb and i don't have any complain or problem with the battery life. I get between 8 and 10 hours steadily.
    schlackdws-2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bdkennedy said:
    Why stop there? There are so many more ways to maintain better battery life for the sake of thinness. Throttle the processor down to 500mhz. Lower the speed of the RAM to 500mhz, Or better yet, shut down the whole computer. That will surely save battery life. I mean, that sucks but just look how thin it is.
    Just make it more encompassing: "Use of battery negatively affects battery life."
    schlackbaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Why don't I have the option of shutting off the TouchBar if I have an external keyboard plugged in? The TouchBar is useless if my hands are far away from the laptop keyboard.
    avon b7schlackdws-2baconstang
  • Reply 5 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Why don't I have the option of shutting off the TouchBar if I have an external keyboard plugged in? The TouchBar is useless if my hands are far away from the laptop keyboard.
    Is this an unrelated request or are you trying to say that a 13" or 15" LED-backlit LCD display is having the same significant power drain as the OLED display that is almost always mostly black. Let's also consider that using your laptop as a desktop with an keyboard as a connected peripheral that doesn't include an external monitor that also isn't being powered while stationary is an atypical setup.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Soli said:
    Is this an unrelated request or are you trying to say that a 13" or 15" LED-backlit LCD display is having the same significant power drain as the OLED display that is almost always mostly black. Let's also consider that using your laptop as a desktop with an keyboard as a connected peripheral that doesn't include an external monitor that also isn't being powered while stationary is an atypical setup.
    Depends what your definition of "related" is. Since this is about battery life, I consider my request related to the issue of preserving MBP battery life.

If your argument is that my feature request shouldn't be honored because it has less impact on battery life than a full monitor, then you could make the same argument for removing the features allowing me to turn off the keyboard backlight, or even power nap. The fact of the matter is that lights on my laptop are on unnecessarily because I'm not using them.

As for my use case being atypical, why is Apple still promoting LG's external monitor for the new MBP if supposedly very few people are using it as a desktop?

(Edit: splitting sentences into paragraphs and fixing one incomplete sentence)
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Soli said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Just make it more encompassing: "Use of battery negatively affects battery life."
    As Mrs Alice Richards said wisely: ": I haven't got it turned on at the moment.  The battery runs down." 
  • Reply 8 of 30
    @javacowboy - he said "that also isn't being powered while stationary is an atypical setup." In other words, if you have it at a desk with an external keyboard (and monitor?), then normally you would also have it plugged in. Having it unplugged while at a desk with an external keyboard would be atypical. It is hard to disagree with that. And in that case it is running off of AC, not battery. Also - an OLED display uses miniscule amounts of power compared to a regular display. The touchbar is also tiny, so uses an even smaller amount of power. Not enough power to worry about in any event.
    Soliwatto_cobraStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 30
    @bryan3000000  But is that the optimal workflow for battery maintenance, to leave it constantly plugged in, instead of draining down and recharging it?  Should this approach change irrespective of whether it's plugged into an external monitor, keyboard, etc?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    I remember someone here saying the TouchBar got hot on his/her machine. Was that ever followed up? Could it have been the TouchBar itself or perhaps something underneath it?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Apple is so insanely obsessed with thinness that they are designing themselves into corner with regards to battery life - and hurting their brand on the way.

I know 2 people now opting for iPad Pro's over the Macbook Pro's.  These are people that Apple directly targeted as a demographic for the Macbook. I was actually quite surprised.
    Both didn't care about the processing power, thinness, or screen color gamut at all. They wanted battery life and accessibility. Both scoffed at the new Macbooks as providing neither - so settled for a change in how they work - than buy something insanely expensive that misses the mark completely on their needs.
    One is buying 2 of them to leave in different locations so he doesn't need to worry about transporting them - says it's still half the price.

Top complaint about iphones as well is battery life.

If Apple came out with a Macbook that had 24 hour life, usb, sd slot... but was a few mm thicker... I bet they would slay it in sales.
    They have compromised everything for thin. They went too far. Their phones are bending ffs. Software gimicks compromising brightness now. It's a gong-show.

Question is, are they going to pull it back?

elijahg
  • Reply 12 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    bitmod said:
    Apple is so insanely obsessed with thinness that they are designing themselves into corner with regards to battery life -
    [...]

If Apple came out with a Macbook that had 24 hour life, usb, sd slot... but was a few mm thicker... I bet they would slay it in sales.

Many people are opting to use an iPad instead of laptops and notebooks and they are not just switching from Apple computers. If an iPad meets your needs, then it meets your needs. Anyone who actually needs a Mac will not settle for an iPad alone. I'm not sure if you read the article about the battery life issue in MBP being fixed, but it is linked in the article above.

The iPad Pro is advertised as the exact same battery life as the MacBook Pro, 10 hours. The iPhone 7 Plus though, gets 21 hours. I'm just speculating but I think people who spend more than 10 hours a day using their devices away from a power outlet are probably considerably less common than you think. Besides I see charging all over the place these days, even on airplanes and at the gates, which was about the only time I used to run low on power, long travel days.

BTW no professional notebook/laptop gets 24 hours of battery life. The ThinkPad X gets 11. I'm not an engineer, but I suspect in order to get 240% more battery life, you'd probably need it to be more than just a few mm thicker. Also I don't think Apple removed the USB-A or the SD card reader for thinness. They got rid of it to move the ball forward in wireless connectivity and those legacy ports were determined to be much less useful, especially going forward, however Apple does provide a solution for those who need them in the form of adapters.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    bitmod said:
    Apple is so insanely obsessed with thinness that they are designing themselves into corner with regards to battery life - and hurting their brand on the way.

I know 2 people now opting for iPad Pro's over the Macbook Pro's.  These are people that Apple directly targeted as a demographic for the Macbook. I was actually quite surprised.
    Both didn't care about the processing power, thinness, or screen color gamut at all. They wanted battery life and accessibility. Both scoffed at the new Macbooks as providing neither - so settled for a change in how they work - than buy something insanely expensive that misses the mark completely on their needs.
    One is buying 2 of them to leave in different locations so he doesn't need to worry about transporting them - says it's still half the price.

They have compromised everything for thin. They went too far. Their phones are bending ffs. Software gimicks compromising brightness now. It's a gong-show.

Uh, trust me, Apple has no problem with someone buying an iPad Pro instead of a Macbook Pro. Yes, it's cheaper, but it's also a much more valuable ecosystem for Apple. 
    The rest of your post is bullshit. The new MBP is regularly providing 8-10hrs of battery for most people. How is that horrible? It's better than the vast majority of laptops on the market, and there is no rational reason not to buy a MBP because of battery life. 
    macxpressStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Also shows they really should fix Spotlight Indexing. It's a serious drain on performance all round. 
  • Reply 15 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good idea.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    bitmod said:

That is exactly what Cook wants us all to do. if you look at that outcome as a strategic goal the recent design decisions of MacBooks becomes clearer. He hates trucks and SUVs.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 17 of 30
    bdkennedy said:
    I bet you don't even own a MBP. Amirite?

I do. I'm a software developer, and when I'm not working on my desktop I take the portable. No surprise one of the reasons I buy MBPs is for their thinness -- which directly equals less mass and lighter weight. The power-to-weight ratio is excellent. 

But "Ive is obsessed with thinness!" wha wha. Get over it, it's not for you. Move on. 
  • Reply 18 of 30

Soli said:
    But but but -- somewhere there must be a scenario that proves Apple doesn't know what it's doing, is DOOMed, and is run by upselling bean-counters. 
  • Reply 19 of 30

bitmod said:

You do realize the absurdity of claiming Apple is screwing up because their customers are now buying other Apple products, right!?
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 20 of 30

entropys said:
    bitmod said:

That is exactly what Cook wants us all to do. if you look at that outcome as a strategic goal the recent design decisions of MacBooks becomes clearer. He hates trucks and SUVs.
    If you can't back that up, then i'm going to say that's just bullshit you made up. Because it's pretty clear -- most people need cars, not trucks. Sales of desktops aren't growing. So it makes perfect sense to build both, which Apple does. Their notebooks are the best on the market, so to say they hate the form factor is simply idiotic -- they sell both, and their notebooks are the best in the industry. Copied by all.