Rumor: Apple Pencil 2 coming this spring with magnets to attach to iPad, plus pocket clip

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2017
Alongside new iPad Pro models, Apple is also rumored to be working on a second-generation Apple Pencil, one that could potentially solve where to put the input device when it's not being held in your hand.

Citing a source on Chinese microblogging site Weibo, Letem svetem Applem reported on Wednesday that a so-called "Apple Pencil 2" will arrive this spring, featuring a new magnetic system that will allow it to temporarily attach to an iPad. This would allow users to place the Apple Pencil on the iPad securely when not in use, allowing it to attach magnetically just like the iPad Smart Cover.

Apple has filed patents that showed interest in allowing users to attach the Apple Pencil to the bezel or side of an iPad. And there are third-party Apple Pencil sleeves on the market that accomplish the same --?such as the Moxiware Apple Pencil Magnet, which AppleInsider reviewed favorably last year.

In addition, Wednesday's report suggested that the "Apple Pencil 2" could also include a standard pen clip, allowing users to clip the Apple Pencil to their pocket for easy access. Clips commonly found on pens also prevent them from rolling away on a desk.

The Apple Pencil first launched in the fall of 2015 alongside the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and support was later added by the debut of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro in the spring of 2016. Both models are expected to be updated this spring, which would make an opportune time to debut the second-generation Apple Pencil as well.

Both new iPad Pro models are rumored to feature a next-generation A10X processor. The smaller Pro model is also expected to sport a slightly larger display sized at 10.5 inches, which would allow it to pack in a 326-pixel-per-inch density, matching the pixel density of the 7.9-inch iPad mini. Currently, both the 9.7- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros have a lower pixel density of 264 pixels per inch.

The $99 Apple Pencil is intended to serve primarily as a drawing and writing tool. It features advanced sensors for tilt and pressure sensitivity, allowing greater precision than a typical stylus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    how about also including an "eraser" at the end of the Pencil
    SpamSandwichjbishop1039applericcalidysamoriajony0
  • Reply 2 of 65
    It's about time. I'm honestly confused why it takes Apple so long to provide the obvious in their innovative technology. Like adding a slot to hold the Pencil in their iPad Pro 12in Smart Cover with Keyboard, for example. Some very obvious small enhancements makes a huge difference when comparing to competition.
    edited January 2017 dysamoriaanantksundarambrucemc
  • Reply 3 of 65
    appleric said:
    It's about time. I'm honestly confused why it takes Apple so long to provide the obvious in their innovative technology. Like adding a slot to hold the Pencil in their iPad Pro 12in Smart Cover with Keyboard, for example Some very obvious small enhancements makes a huge difference when comping to competition.
    Yep. A simple "pen loop" that can be found on nearly any leather note pad would be the drop dead easiest thing to add. Magnets could still see Pencils get knocked off and lost.
    applericcalidysamoriaanantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 4 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    appleric said:
    It's about time. I'm honestly confused why it takes Apple so long to provide the obvious in their innovative technology. Like adding a slot to hold the Pencil in their iPad Pro 12in Smart Cover with Keyboard, for example Some very obvious small enhancements makes a huge difference when comping to competition.
    Because, Apple tends to put extreme focus and effort into the "core" experience, instead of diluting their focus on non-essentials. Yes, the pencil lacks a clip and an eraser, but it still feels more natural and responsive than ANYTHING else out there. Glad they're improving it further though.
    MetriacanthosaurustmayapplericStrangeDayscalibrucemcsteveau
  • Reply 5 of 65
    slurpy said:
    appleric said:
     Yes, the pencil lacks a clip and an eraser,
    ??? That sounds like a gimmick straight out of Samsung, or Microsoft.

The Apple Pencil uses the same precision tip for erasing as it does for drawing. Hello digital.
    leavingthebiggpscooter63patchythepiratetmayapplericStrangeDaysbrucemcsteveau
  • Reply 6 of 65
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Geeks of the world rejoice!

• Reply 7 of 65
    slurpy said:
    appleric said:
     Yes, the pencil lacks a clip and an eraser,
    ??? That sounds like a gimmick straight out of Samsung, or Microsoft.

The Apple Pencil uses the same precision tip for erasing as it does for drawing. Hello digital.
    Thank you! A lot of people see Samsung, Microsoft, others doing something in similar manners and expect Apple to follow suit even while knowing Apple doesn't tend to do things in the manner others do.

Having a pencil magnetically attached to an iPad Pro as in the picture above is moronic beyond belief. Still people will get excited about it before it is sold then bitch that it was a piss poor design and implementation.

I have noticed with the current pencil, when I place the pencil at the top of the iPad Pro, the pencil is magnetically attached to the iPad Pro. The attachment is not strong though.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    I have an Apple Pencil but don't own a Smart Keyboard. Loop would do me no good. I spent $5 at a craft store on a pencil case which works perfectly. Also thr magnets in the iPad itself  keep the pencil in place if I'm taking it with me to a meeting or if I have the cap off when charging. Non issue really.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 65
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Most desired feature a massive reduction in price.
    applericDavidAlGregorydysamoriabrucemc
  • Reply 10 of 65
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    appleric said:
    It's about time. I'm honestly confused why it takes Apple so long to provide the obvious in their innovative technology. Like adding a slot to hold the Pencil in their iPad Pro 12in Smart Cover with Keyboard, for example. Some very obvious small enhancements makes a huge difference when comparing to competition.
    Because that's how iterative improvement works -- get it done, get it working, get it working right. Then refine and polish. 

I know people with little experience in product design think these things pop out of a sea shell fully formed like Venus, but the reality is build shit is complicated and evolution is the name of the game. Ideas are the easy part, good implementation is the hard part. 
    pscooter63wonkothesane
  • Reply 11 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    No eraser! That's not very useful.
    pscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 65
    entropys said:
    Exactly. I would like to know the margins on that overpriced plastic stylus.

As the owner of an iPad "Pro", I would like to know why I do not get the USB C power adapter and pencil
    ai46brucemc
  • Reply 13 of 65
    What I've done to fix the storage problem. This allows the clip to be moved to the proper height of your pocket, or pen holding sleeve. There are a lot of cheap pens with these removable clips. This one was a bit wide, so I just bent the prongs a bit. Works perfectly.

edited January 2017 patchythepiratedysamoriapscooter63bestkeptsecretbeowulfschmidtStrangeDaysferali
  • Reply 14 of 65
    appleric said:
    I have the Pencil by Fifty-Three, which works with any iPad. It has an internal magnet that allows it to attach to the Apple Smart Cover magnets. However, the Apple Pencil is more precise, feels better, and responds with less lag than my Pencil by Fifty-Three. Those things makes a "huge difference when comparing to competition."
    cali
  • Reply 15 of 65

melgross said:
    Yes, eraser. It is very useful.
    dysamoriaanantksundaramireland
  • Reply 16 of 65
    entropys said:
    Exactly. I would like to know the margins on that overpriced plastic stylus.

As the owner of an iPad "Pro", I would like to know why I do not get the USB C power adapter and pencil
    You're joking, right? You do realize that nothing is really free, despite what a manufacturer may say about it. If it's "free" the cost of the item is added to the price, and you're paying for it anyway.

in this case, it's a complex piece of equipment. And while we all wish it would cost less, that's the price for being the best stylus out there, which it is. Maybe they could reduce the price in the series 2 model, but just to $79, or so. Asking for it to be halved isn't thinking about what the R&D and costs are.

if you're buying this for fun, then it's expensive. But if you're a real professional, it's cheap. In addition, if you're a real professional, meaning that you derive most, or much of your regular income on the work derived from these devices, then your accountant will be able to depreciate it as with all of your other equipment you buy for your professional usage. Of course, if you're a hobbyist, and get a bit of money now and then, you can't do that.
    edited January 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 17 of 65
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

melgross said:
    Putting a dedicated erase on a digital stylus is like arguing that the iPhone sucks without a physical keyboard. If you need to erase just use the pencil tip. You might as well ask for a different thickness pencil tips instead of having that feature controlled by SW using the same stylus.
    patchythepirateroundaboutnowpscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 65

melgross said:
    No, it's not. Software has sophisticated erase functions. Usually they don't work with a built-in eraser. And then, the charging function is a problem.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 65
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member

melgross said:
    I think the broader issue here is -- what's the optimal UI for changing the operating mode of the pencil? Is it to use the pencil to tap on the screen to change modes, or is it to change modes by interacting with the pencil itself? 

Switching between writing and erasing is possibly the most important mode changes there is for the pencil. It might make sense to have the UI for that mode change be on the pencil itself, and certainly the eraser metaphor would be one way to do that. 

I think it's noteworthy that there are other mode changes that occur on the pencil itself -- for example, the angle at which one presses the pencil against the iPad and the intensity of pressure change what's written. That's clearly easier than having to tap on an on-screen palette of different writing modes.  And it is a metaphor tied to actual pencils, because such metaphors are useful to people with experience using regular pencils (in other words, everybody). 

So I see the appeal of an eraser and, if not an eraser, then some other way of changing to erase mode through direct interaction with the pencil itself as opposed to having to tap on some mode-changing-palette on the screen. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 65
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    No, it's not. Software has sophisticated erase functions. Usually they don't work with a built-in eraser. And then, the charging function is a problem.
    It easily takes more time to invert and reinvent a stylus for a dedicate erase function than it it so tap the erase function with your stylus tip or with you other hand on the iPad.
    ai46pscooter63StrangeDays