Apple pushes AirPods firmware 3.5.1 to synchronized iPhones with minor bug fixes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    To Update:

Put AirPods in Case
    Connect Power to Case
    Place near iPhone, while iPhone is connected to Wifi.

Check in ten minutes
    Updated !

To check:
    place AirPods in Case
    Open case
    Settings/General/About/Airpods

randominternetpersonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    To Update:

Put AirPods in Case
    Connect Power to Case

Check in ten minutes
    Updated !

To check:
    place AirPods in Case
    Open case

Have done this, repeatedly.  All I get is the charging status slide up. About does not change. 
  • Reply 23 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Cbrgnyc said:
    thrang said:
    Same here - AirPods are connected, but no AirPods in the About menu...
    Open the case while next to the phone in the "About" and Airpods will show up in the list
    Bingo. Thanks. Article should be updated.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    jahblade said:
    I can't find the screen shown.  Under Setting > General > About I don't see any mention of AirPods, nor does a search for "AirPods" within Settings reveal anything.  I'm running 10.2.1 on a 6s.
    Make sure Airpods are connect.
    Thank you! I just had to open the little white case and the option appeared. I don't know how anyone is expected to find that, but I suppose Apple support would walk one through it as needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

sog35 said:
    This is why Apple is great.

So easy to get an update. Other companies don't even give updates.

Airpods + Watch = future

Clear as day that Apple is dominating wearables and will continue to dominate.

All the critics said Airpods were crap. WRONG. Sold out for months.

All the critics said Macbook sucked. WRONG. Most Mac revenue EVER last quarter.

All the critics said iPhone7 was crap with no headphones. WRONG. Most iPhones sold EVER.

All the critics said Apple can't do services. WRONG. 150 million paid subscribers and $25 billion in revenue. And will double revenue in 4 years.
    And yet you have consistently called for Tim Cook to be fired over the last 2 years.  Glad to see that your new meds are helping - please stay on them this time!!!
    That was before AirPods.

Airpods have proven that this company is still amazing
    But what about the Watch, Mac, iphone 7 sales, and services, which were all before the AirPods and under Cook?
    watto_cobrawaverboy
  • Reply 26 of 43

To Update:

Put AirPods in Case
    Connect Power to Case

Check in ten minutes
    Updated !

To check:
    place AirPods in Case
    Open case

Have done this, repeatedly.  All I get is the charging status slide up. About does not change. 
    after the slide up when you go into the About screen, it doesn't show up as a new list item at the bottom of the list?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    To Update:

Put AirPods in Case
    Connect Power to Case

Check in ten minutes
    Updated !

To check:
    place AirPods in Case
    Open case

In my experience, the appearance of the AirPods option in Settings>General>About is directly linked to that "charging status slide up."  The option is all the way at the bottom (below SEID and above Legal).
  • Reply 28 of 43
    I just updated. Issues continue, Siri won't connect after "double-tap".  iPhone 7 plus with five "Tiles" connected and an Apple Watch. When I disable the "Tile" app altogether the AirPods seem to work properly. It's obvious the phone can't handle multiple Bluetooth connections. The bluetooth bug continues. 

What are Tiles?

Personally the update appears to have FIXED a double tap issue for me.  Siri only woke up when I triple or quad tapped before; now a double-tap seems to work pretty reliably.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    sunhawk said:
    mike1 said:
    Received mine a few days ago. Love them. Absolutely no issues. Was pleasantly surprised to get about 75-100 feet of range outdoors, between my phone sitting on the deck and me raking leaves in the yard. I expected a good fit as I had success with EarPods. Sound quality is excellent and the convenience is unmatched. Haven't had to recharge the case yet, so I'll try this tonight.
    How long did it take to get yours?  Their web site still says 6 weeks.
    My wife ordered them on 12/23 (she had no idea about the wait times) and they arrived last Friday. It said 2/8 expected delivery on the order. So, they under promised and over delivered by about a week and a half or so.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    It took a try or two for them to show up in General>About for me, but almost as soon as they did, they updated to 3.5.1.

I've had my AirPods for a couple of weeks now, and I love them! I've only had one problem with them, and that was the other morning I used them to call my mother as I left my house, and the signal got strangely digitized and the call dropped, right where my wifi signal ends. My wife called me and said my mother's voice came from my iPad laying by the bed for a moment. I'm guessing it was a wifi calling/handoff issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    They're already at version 3.5.x? Must've been a lot of issues in earlier builds!?! Or is the firmware shared with other components that have been around longer?
    They shipped with 3.3.1. This is the first consumer-facing firmware update.
    Given the delays in their release and the fact that they released with 3.3.1 it would appear they were doing a lot of debugging to try & get the software right. Smart on Apple's part if this was the case - releasing the AirPods with buggy software would have completely killed the product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    MplsP said:
    They're already at version 3.5.x? Must've been a lot of issues in earlier builds!?! Or is the firmware shared with other components that have been around longer?
    Given the delays in their release and the fact that they released with 3.3.1 it would appear they were doing a lot of debugging to try & get the software right. Smart on Apple's part if this was the case - releasing the AirPods with buggy software would have completely killed the product.

It is rather mind boggling that they went through 3 full version numbers before releasing the product.  How long were they in development?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    I tried the AirPods in the Store here in London and they are pretty amazing, however I noticed one thing, they do not connect when one is shooting a video with the Camera App and I assume the same will happen with social media apps like FB Live, Instagram Stories etc...

Does anyone know if this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update or it is definitely something that will require the next iteration of the product to happen?

Thanks (first comment ever on Appleinsider after reading for years !)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 43
    When I disable the "Tile" app altogether the AirPods seem to work properly.
    How did you disable the Tile app altogether?

Did you do:  Tile App | Settings | Use Bluetooth = <off>   ?

I have Tile too, so now I want to explore that as one possible solution.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 35 of 43
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Fiddled with it and saw that the update went through.

Now, is it my imagination or do they seem a little "brighter," meaning more trebly? My iPhone EQ setting is "off" as I observe (or imagine) this.

Didn't think to take a listen right before seeing to the update, so my observation is entirely subjective. Just curious if anyone else noticed anything.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    MplsP said:
    It is rather mind boggling that they went through 3 full version numbers before releasing the product.  How long were they in development?
    According to Schiller, from before the Watch. They thought they'd be a good accessory to it as I recall. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    To Update:

Put AirPods in Case
    Connect Power to Case

Check in ten minutes
    Updated !

To check:
    place AirPods in Case
    Open case

Mine updated in the time it took me to reopen the case and go into About AirPods. Wow. 
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Hey! On the back of the AirPod case there in a round button...holding this down for 10 seconds or so will unpair the air pods, and re-establish connection starting from scratch, as if new again. 
  • Reply 39 of 43
    I updated my firmware but the Bluetooth it still  disconnecting. 
    Not as often as before, but the Bluetooth disconnected twice on a 4 minute call. 
     Where do we go from here?
    Smh. 
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Those having trouble. Had same issue. Took a few minutes to update but finally showed up with AirPods in case. General - About screen at the bottom of the list for the iPhone itself