Apple Pay now accepted by 36% of US merchants, is most common mobile payment platform

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Soli said:
    1) I've been using Apple Pay with Starbucks for years… but in the app, since you want to pay with your Starbucks card so you can get free drinks. As far as I know they haven't rolled out widespread chip or NFC-based payment systems, which is probably because they had their swipe built into the register.

2) If the swipe/PIN pad reader is new and comes with a chip card reader, then it probably also comes with NFC. If both aren't working it's probably not the clerk or manager's fault. It's likely a technical issue which could be any number of points along the transaction route.

3) From my experience, the more "mom and pop" you go—to wit, less urban environment with fewer chain stores—the more likely you are to have Apple Pay support, whether they know it or not.
    1) where I live, they've never before said they accepted Pay...but I don't go in often enough to care about free drinks.
    2) I'm sure it was a 'technical issue'...I'm not blaming that on either clerk or manager, but not understanding how their equipment works, when it does ?  And they had both an older scanner and the newer chip slotter - which I've used at other branches - on the counter.  At those branches, they were apparently unfamiliar with it's capabilities, if they do both things.
    3) In this town, the more "mom and pop" you go, the less likely you are to discover they even have an internet presence, with all that implies.  And my intuition would be that a more urban environment would have more savvy residents, whose insistence - and security concerns - would drive adoption and effective deployment.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    schlack said:
    I'd like to use/support Apple Pay as an Apple fan and shareholder. But, I've rarely been to a store where it's obvious they support Apple Pay. Sometimes I notice after the fact that they do. Most times, it seems they don't. Also, my credit card (Chase) is not accepted by Apple Pay.
    You need to recheck your facts...   Chase does accept Apple Pay.   I pay 80% of my bills with a Chase card and Apple Pay.  Generally, the only payments I use with a regular card are gasoline purchases.   Except for gasoline pumps, I rarely find a store that does NOT accept Apple Pay.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    eightzero said:
    cityguide said:
    eightzero said:

U.S. merchant adoption has been of the biggest obstacles for Apple Pay. Though a number of major chains are onboard, many still aren't, likely owing to the cost of upgrading to sale terminals with compatible NFC.
    It would seem logical for Apple to pick up the tab.
    I fail to see the logic in that statement.
    "I can't afford your products."
    "I could make them less expensive to you. I could give you a discount based on the volume of future business."
    "Hey, that would be nice. Thanks."

That's not why CVS and RiteAid won't accept NFC payment at their NFC-capable payment terminals. They've already got the equipment. It's not about "I can't afford your products." It's because of credit card transaction fees with the banks. Should Apple pick up the tab for that too?
    It's also about their ability to track you and your purchases...    I switched to Walgreens and no longer use either CVS or RiteAid.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    After my credit card number was hacked I reported it to the credit card company.   And, while reporting it asked them whether it was better for me to use their chip card or Apple Pay.   They told me Apple Pay was more secure than even the chip.   And, even better, Apple Pay is a LOT faster than using a chip card -- I get a smile from the clerk whenever I bump my Apple Watch to their reader and it goes "Ding!"
  • Reply 45 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    After my credit card number was hacked I reported it to the credit card company.   And, while reporting it asked them whether it was better for me to use their chip card or Apple Pay.   They told me Apple Pay was more secure than even the chip.   And, even better, Apple Pay is a LOT faster than using a chip card -- I get a smile from the clerk whenever I bump my Apple Watch to their reader and it goes "Ding!"
    And if a card is compromised the whole thing has to be replaced, whereas if an Apple Pay card number gets compromised it can be wiped from the account and you can set it up again on that same device with another random card number produced by the bank's servers.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Soli said:
    And if a card is compromised the whole San thing has to be replaced, whereas if an Apple Pay card number gets compromised it can be wiped from the account and you can set it up again on that same device with another random card number produced by the bank's servers.
    I've never heard of a bank issuing 'random card number(s)'.  My experience is:   if your credit card is hacked, they cancel it and issue a new one.   And, Apple Pay will not let you enter any random numbers.  It has to be a valid card number.   But, at least according to Chase, the card number is more secure when used via Apple Pay than being scanned or swiped.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    And if a card is compromised the whole San thing has to be replaced, whereas if an Apple Pay card number gets compromised it can be wiped from the account and you can set it up again on that same device with another random card number produced by the bank's servers.
    I've never heard of a bank issuing 'random card number(s)'.  My experience is:   if your credit card is hacked, they cancel it and issue a new one.   And, Apple Pay will not let you enter any random numbers.  It has to be a valid card number.   But, at least according to Chase, the card number is more secure when used via Apple Pay than being scanned or swiped.
    You don't enter random numbers, the Apple Pay card number tied to your physical card number's account that is used for the transaction is randomized by the financial institution server, or rather based on an algorithm. This is no different than when you replace a card and get a new card in the mail with a new number. Check your Wallet app and you'll see the last 4 of you physical card number and the last 4 of the referential card number referred to as Device Accout Number, as this number will be different on every Apple Pay-capable device.

Additionally, while there is an internal account number, to which everything is probably more directly tied, if your physical card is canceled or expires, every single one of your referential Apple Pay account numbers tied to that card go bust, too.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    You don't enter random numbers, the Apple Pay card number tied to your physical card number's account that is used for the transaction is randomized by the financial institution server, or rather based on an algorithm. This is no different than when you replace a card and get a new card in the mail with a new number. Check your Wallet app and you'll see the last 4 of you physical card number and the last 4 of the referential card number referred to as Device Accout Number, as this number will be different on every Apple Pay-capable device.

Additionally, while there is an internal account number, to which everything is probably more directly tied, if your physical card is canceled or expires, every single one of your referential Apple Pay account numbers tied to that card go bust, too.
    I did, there is only a single 4 digit number and it is the same number on both devices.
    I understand it is possible for a bank to issue a card number without issuing an actual card.   Mine will not do that.  Or, at least they wouldn't when I had to have them cancel and reissue me a new card.   I asked.  They said 'No'.  Perhaps yours operate differently.