Apple places 5th on corporate reputation poll, Samsung drops 42 spots

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
Apple is the fifth most reputable company in the United States, with the results of an annual poll into the public perception of a company putting the iPhone producer ahead of Disney, Google, Tesla, and Netflix in the rankings.

The Reputation Quotient Ratings from Harris Poll is a list of what the firm calls the "100 most visible companies" in the U.S. Apple's fifth-place ranking scores it as the second most favorable technology company on the list, with Amazon taking the top spot ahead of the Wegmans and Publix Super Markets chains, and Johnson & Johnson.

Apple's score of 82.07 on the RQ scale is said to be excellent, and is just 4.2 points behind Amazon's top place. While favorable, the score is down from the 83.03 Apple received in 2016, which placed Apple in second behind Amazon's 83.96 for that year's poll.

Google's 82.00 rating put it in eighth place, narrowly beating the ninth-place Tesla with 81.70, while Netflix (18th, 79.86) and Microsoft (20th, 79.29) are the only other major tech entities in the top 25. In lower places are Hewlett Packard (29), IBM (40), eBay (41), Sony (42), Dell (60), and Facebook (56).

One notable difference between last year and this year is Samsung's placement, dropping from seventh in 2016 down to 49th place in 2017. The lower score, decreased from 80.44 to 75.17, may have been an effect of the Note 7 battery recall, though "illegal actions by corporate leaders," such as the South Korean scandal that led to the arrest of Samsung chief Jay Y. Lee, are said by the pollsters to be a greater risk to a company's reputation.

Harris Poll conducted the survey from November 29 to December 16 of this year, surveying over 23,000 U.S. respondents about companies named in an earlier preliminary poll. Each respondent of the second poll were asked to rate two companies they were "very" or "somewhat" familiar with, meaning each company in the list was rated by approximately 300 adults.

Participants were asked to score reputations on 20 different attributes, covering the emotional appeal, social responsibility, products and services, financial performance, vision and leadership, and workplace environment for each company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Why do we always have to add Samsung into every piece of Apple news? Why can't the article just say, Apple is 2nd in corporate reputation poll?
    StrangeDaysgilly017
  • Reply 2 of 31
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Amazon, possibly the most viciously monopolistic company in the US today, out to monopolize all of retailing and well on its way to doing so, is the most reputable company in the country.  We're doomed.
    fotoformatSolipaxmanlostkiwibadmonkwatto_cobragilly017jbdragonbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I buy stock of companies high on this list. Works for me.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:
    Why do we always have to add Samsung into every piece of Apple news? Why can't the article just say, Apple is 2nd in corporate reputation poll?
    Because that wouldn't cause a revenue-generating bun fight. 
    gilly017jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Amazon as most-reputable? The company that is getting in trouble for being an unauthorized channel for gray market products, and imposter products sold as authentic? Very curious.
    edited February 2017 Solipaxmanzoetmbbadmonkpscooter63watto_cobragilly017anantksundaramjbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 31
    tundraboy said:
    Amazon, possibly the most viciously monopolistic company in the US today, out to monopolize all of retailing and well on its way to doing so, is the most reputable company in the country.  We're doomed.
    It's because we hate the rest of the 'in your face, ripoff retailers'.  All we want is a good product at a good price, delivered to our door.

UPS?  That's how it gets there.  USPS how it gets lost...

Costco? How we buy more to shop less.

Apple? It just works. Under Armor?  Good Q, simple style, decent price.

Anyone see a theme?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    It's nice to see our local supermarket ranked number 2 on the list. 
  • Reply 8 of 31
    hexclock said:
    As is mine...love going to Wegmans!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    hexclock said:
    Notice there is not one "traditional bank" on the list?  No credit card company's? 

USAA is great, by the way.  It may be the one instance where people benefit from having a "middle man".  If you ever had to call Amex directly you know what I'm talking about...  It's why I switched to USAA.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 31
    How on earth is Amazon number one with all the fake Chinese counterfeit products they sell? With the way Amazon handles its inventory, I would never purchase any sort of electronics item from them. 
    lostkiwiStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Seems way to high of a score for Samsung!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Wegmans and Publix? Was this a survey taken in the Midwest?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 31
    macxpress said:
    well, cuz it isn't second?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Gee, there are no telephone companies or cable companies on this list. I wonder why.  ;)
    Soliwatto_cobraseanismorrisanantksundaram
  • Reply 15 of 31
    one article re this mentioned that Apple customer service has gone down and now service people are saying "sorry I can't help you" too often.

That is because Apple has screwed up the introduction of 2 Factor Authentication.  It is a great idea, but sucking customers into it "by default" with no explanation that a SECOND trusted device is required is a major blunder, and then a week or so of account recovery....

Apple no longer understands it customer base of TODAY---many don't have a computer, and sort of don't know what one is.  FURTHER, the iphone is not really an independent device; some problems that it might have, maybe customer caused, REQUIRE access to a computer.  Apple of course knows this, but doesn't tell customers this.

Apple's cust are no longer only techno nerds.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I often order things from Amazon, but I know someone who holds a patent on an electronic accessory, and lately there are loads of Chinese knock offs on the site. He hired a lawyer to demand Amazon stop selling them, and the response he received was that it wasn't up the Amazon to decide who held what patent, and that he should pursue the makers in Chinese courts. Obviously that won't stand a chance to be successful. So Amazon just keeps collecting their share. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Did they ask Amazon warehouse workers who suffered from heat stroke in non-A/C buildings what they thought?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    tundraboy said:
    Amazon probably ranks high due to financial performance, vision and leadership. Wall Street loves that company because Bezos is slowly putting all other retailers out of business and Amazon investors are cackling with glee about that. You will almost never hear Wall Street ever say anything negative about Amazon or Jeff Bezos. You'd really be led to believe that Amazon is THE perfect company and far exceeding Apple in almost everything. Practically everything Amazon does is considered a successful venture and that's without even knowing exact sales numbers. Jeff Bezos has a lot of rich investors backing his company. Being called the most reputable company will definitely boost Amazon's value even higher. I've never even heard of Wegmans. Are there any stores in the Northeast such as NYC?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is there even a single Publix in the middle or West part of the country? I thought Publix was only Southeast.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Soli said:
    Is there even a single Publix in the middle or West part of the country? I thought Publix was only Southeast.
    Thats why he was asking...because there are no western grocery stores on the list. However, that could be because simply none of them made it on the list.