With rumors of a 128GB model swirling, Target adjusts inventory of Apple's iPhone SE

Posted:
in iPhone
U.S. retailer Target is allegedly telling its stores to return some iPhone SE units to Apple, a report claimed on Wednesday, ahead of a March press event in which the company could announce a new high-capacity 128-gigabyte model.

An internal memo is asking stores to return six unlocked 16- and 64-gigabyte models -- in all four colors -- as well as two Sprint configurations, MacRumors said. An anonymous worker meanwhile told the site that her shop hasn't received any iPhone SE shipments since before the iPhone 7 was announced in September.

AppleInsider checks with several outlets in one city indicated no return requests for the iPhone SE.

One possibility is that Apple is reclaiming unsold inventory to repurpose it, rather than sell it at a discount. Sales have likely fallen off, as Apple is still charging at least $399 for the device despite it offering specifications like a 2015 A9 processor and a default 16 gigabytes of storage. The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus come with at least 32 gigabytes, and use faster A10 chips --?but also cost at least $250 more.

A recent rumor has claimed that Apple is preparing a 128-gigabyte SE for a March press event, though other reports have suggested the device won't be updated this year. The same rumor hinted that Apple might also introduce a red color for the iPhone 7, new bands for the Apple Watch, and a 7.9-inch iPad Pro.

It's possible that an early 2017 iPhone SE upgrade would come in the form of a simple capacity bump, doubling the maximum storage from 64 to 128 gigabytes but leaving the same CPU and other components. In that respect, a recall from Target and others might make sense, allowing Apple to repurpose existing handsets that are otherwise sitting on shelves.

While new Watch bands are also a possibility for Apple's spring 2017 event, no other reports have hinted at a red color or an updated 7.9-inch iPad. The focus of the event is typically expected to be on three iPad models: a new 10.5-inch model, an updated 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and a 9.7-inch "budget" model, presumably replacing the iPad Air 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    First of all do not compare prices. iPhone 5SE is more compact device that fits normal shirt without sticking out and looking bad - a normal person does not carry communication device in palm of hand like a mobile device hobbyst.
    Secondly, iPhone 5SE can use proper headphones including those high quality and it does not require wireless Bluetooth based devices that usually work so-so and also are provided by lower quality manufacturers (yes- Apple and beats do not qualify for term "high quality" if you tried high end with iPhone and you compared sound).
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jacks64jacks64 Posts: 4member
    First of all do not compare prices. iPhone 5SE is more compact device that fits normal shirt without sticking out and looking bad - a normal person does not carry communication device in palm of hand like a mobile device hobbyst.
    Secondly, iPhone 5SE can use proper headphones including those high quality and it does not require wireless Bluetooth based devices that usually work so-so and also are provided by lower quality manufacturers (yes- Apple and beats do not qualify for term "high quality" if you tried high end with iPhone and you compared sound).
    It's SE....NOT 5SE.
    chiaTomSawyerronnlolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Doesn't the phone come with an adapter so it can use normal headphones?
    smiffy31zoetmbchiaronnlolliverpscooter63GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 24
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Stop confusing the discussion with facts. ;-)
    zoetmblkruppchiaronnmike1tomkarllolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    I'm a little tired of reading "audiophiles" complaints about the sound quality from a phone.  I know, Apple should care about quality build a turntable into the next phone.

By the way, for the record, records suck.
    ronnlolliverwonkothesane
  • Reply 6 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Are you saying the iPhone can’t use “proper” headphones? Are you stupid, ignorant, or both? Just asking.
    ronnlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 24
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Since we're airing grievances here...

I'm getting really, really tired of the editorial bent to present Apple and its products in a "glass-half-empty" light.  This article practically gives itself mental whiplash just to maintain its flawgic (apologies to the poster who originally coined that, but it seems to fit here).

I know why it's being done, of course.
    ai46
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    smiffy31 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Stop confusing the discussion with facts. ;-)
    Hey, that's my line.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Schiller: can you return your existing inventory so we can send you 32 and 128 sizes of the SE, so now those who'd previously opt for 64 now will have to pay more. Greedy bastard. I say with reference to the past. €114 to cover an iPad mini with Ok cover—not good, just Ok. €25 charging cable without plug that breaks in one month of teenage use. Design is how it works? Sales people kill companies?

If I ever, ever have a company that grows large I'll die before I take it public. The stock market ruins nearly everything great about companies: greed is too much of an influencing factor in the public market. The only possibility to stay true to noble values is to remain private.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I'd buy that. Still on my 5s 64GB.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    Schiller: can you return your existing inventory so we can send you 32 and 128 sizes of the SE, so now those who'd previously opt for 64 now will have to pay more. Greedy bastard. I say with reference to the past. €114 to cover an iPad mini with Ok cover—not good, just Ok. €25 charging cable with plug that breaks in one month of teenage use. Design is how it works? Sales people kill companies?

If I ever, ever have a company that grows large I'll die before I take it public. The stock market ruins nearly everything great about companies.

edit: Who's the legend who recapitalised the "I" in my username? Thank you.
    I actually think it's not to charge more, but rather so they don't have to lower the price at all. I personally think that they will keep the 16GB phone around and possibly offer it for $299. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Schiller: can you return your existing inventory so we can send you 32 and 128 sizes of the SE, so now those who'd previously opt for 64 now will have to pay more. Greedy bastard. I say with reference to the past. €114 to cover an iPad mini with Ok cover—not good, just Ok. €25 charging cable with plug that breaks in one month of teenage use. Design is how it works? Sales people kill companies?

If I ever, ever have a company that grows large I'll die before I take it public. The stock market ruins nearly everything great about companies.

I actually think it's not to charge more, but rather so they don't have to lower the price at all. I personally think that they will keep the 16GB phone around and possibly offer it for $299. 
    Perhaps but that's also a mistake. 16 GB iPhones should no longer exist. Regardless of whether they are just fine for 3% of customers.
    avon b7GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 24
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    ireland said:
    Schiller: can you return your existing inventory so we can send you 32 and 128 sizes of the SE, so now those who'd previously opt for 64 now will have to pay more. Greedy bastard. I say with reference to the past. €114 to cover an iPad mini with Ok cover—not good, just Ok. €25 charging cable without plug that breaks in one month of teenage use. Design is how it works? Sales people kill companies?

If I ever, ever have a company that grows large I'll die before I take it public. The stock market ruins nearly everything great about companies: greed is too much of an influencing factor in the public market. The only possibility to stay true to noble values is to remain private.
    A Effing Men 

truer words cannot be uttered, as they don't exist.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    ireland said:
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:

Perhaps but that's also a mistake. 16 GB iPhones should no longer exist. Regardless of whether they are just fine for 3% of customers.
    Those 16gb phones might be perfect for a low-income overseas market. 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    williamh said:
    ireland said:
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:

Those 16gb phones might be perfect for a low-income overseas market. 
    They're perfect for a low-income domestic market as well.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ireland said:
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:

How do you know it's 3%?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Is this normal practice in the US? If a range or certain model is discontinued in the UK, it's just discounted and sold off till no stock remains. Example late last year, Tesco slashed the price of the iPad Air 2 16GB to £249 (was £379) when apple bumped the base model to 32GB.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Good news! The best available iphone gets better, very nice. Now all it needs is a processor upgrade. Love my SE.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    adm1 said:
    Is this normal practice in the US?
    Only for companies that don't want their brand's cachet to be watered down. That's why you seldom see Apple having sale prices, and their authorized retailers stop selling Apple products before or almost immediately after they're discontinued.

I'd like to see 3D Touch and a more current screen for the SE, as well as the typical memory/speed/storage bumps. But I don't expect significant improvements on any regular basis for the SE as Apple will probably keep it as an entry level phone here and elsewhere.

It's about time for me to upgrade my 5s. It could probably use a new battery, so I'll probably get an updated SE if there is one, or a current SE if there isn't an update.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    "fits normal shirt without sticking out and looking bad - a normal person does not carry communication device in palm of hand like a mobile device hobbyst."

Looking bad? (Most folks are not ashamed of their phone showing.)  Mobile device hobbiest (is there such a thing?) Go sit in the mall or supermarket entrance and feel your opinion change. 

Have you even tried a W1 chip equipped BT headset?