Analyst predicts weak demand for Samsung Galaxy S8, suggests focusing on Apple OLED 'iPhon...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    S8 won't have much new. Iris scanner? Saw it in the Note 7. Bixby? Who'd use a Samsung proprietary voice assistant when they have Google already built in to Android? Curved edge screen? Already proven useless by the S7 Edge. Fingerprint sensor on the back? Great location next to the camera lens (smudges) and not particularly good for mobile payments.

Samsung, like all Android vendors, is limited in terms of what they can announce. We already know what's in Android Nougat, so no surprises there. That leaves them with useless hardware gimmicks to try and separate themselves from all the other Abdroid vendors running the same commodity OS.

I don't see the S8 doing well.
    Having used both front and back scanners I would always prefer the back. It's a question of preference but for me it feels far more natural and on my current phone I never ever touch the lens protection by accident. Both are aligned at top centre with the scanner right below the camera. The scanner is slightly recessed. My index finger slips nicely into the recess and is perfect for one handed operation.

How many mobile payment terminals have you actually used? And which way do you orient your phone? Many terminals I use my iPhone at would be more difficult with a rear scanner.

How do you unlock your phone when it's sitting on your desk (I do this countless times a day at work)? Or if it's in a car dock? Or any kind of dock? Or charging on a wireless pad (that Android users claim
    is so amazing)?
    You would probably get your answer (if you are genuinely interested in S8) when it gets unveiled. If you are not interested then it's pointless to question.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    If analysts are wrong about Apple then it stands to reason they are wrong about Samsung too. I mean, with articles like “Why Samsung’s exploding phones make me want even more to purchase the Galaxy 8” (the logic being new Samsung phones will be super safe because Samsung tested the crap out of then), well, what can I say. C|net and Brian (the Twink) Tong will be hard selling it bigtime.
    Your points look agreeable. S8 might turn out to be the best selling Galaxy Ohibe ever.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    S8 won't have much new. Iris scanner? Saw it in the Note 7. Bixby? Who'd use a Samsung proprietary voice assistant when they have Google already built in to Android? Curved edge screen? Already proven useless by the S7 Edge. Fingerprint sensor on the back? Great location next to the camera lens (smudges) and not particularly good for mobile payments.

Samsung, like all Android vendors, is limited in terms of what they can announce. We already know what's in Android Nougat, so no surprises there. That leaves them with useless hardware gimmicks to try and separate themselves from all the other Abdroid vendors running the same commodity OS.

Having used both front and back scanners I would always prefer the back. It's a question of preference but for me it feels far more natural and on my current phone I never ever touch the lens protection by accident. Both are aligned at top centre with the scanner right below the camera. The scanner is slightly recessed. My index finger slips nicely into the recess and is perfect for one handed operation.

How many mobile payment terminals have you actually used? And which way do you orient your phone? Many terminals I use my iPhone at would be more difficult with a rear scanner.

How do you unlock your phone when it's sitting on your desk (I do this countless times a day at work)? Or if it's in a car dock? Or any kind of dock? Or charging on a wireless pad (that Android users claim
    is so amazing)?
    You would probably get your answer (if you are genuinely interested in S8) when it gets unveiled. If you are not interested then it's pointless to question.

The poster stated they tried both. Therefore they already have a phone with the sensor on the back and can comment on their usage.

For me I've gripped my iPhone the way I would if it had a rear sensor and held it up to payment terminals to see how I'd use it. It's better on the front.
    aayush2614watto_cobrapscooter63tmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    If analysts are wrong about Apple then it stands to reason they are wrong about Samsung too. I mean, with articles like “Why Samsung’s exploding phones make me want even more to purchase the Galaxy 8” (the logic being new Samsung phones will be super safe because Samsung tested the crap out of then), well, what can I say. C|net and Brian (the Twink) Tong will be hard selling it bigtime.
    'Brian (the Twink) Tong.' So damn funny. Lmao. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 60
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I think this analyst is definitely missing something. I would think there might be pent-up demand. On Youtube there are many, many videos about the upcoming Galaxy S8. There definitely seems to be a lot of interest in that smartphone. There's always lots of talk about all the wonderful features it's going to have. Of course, most of those videos are made by tech-heads who are always gushing about some smartphone but supposedly this Galaxy S8 is the smartphone to end all smartphones.

I'm not saying this analyst is wrong or right because I can't tell the future like these analysts claim to be able to do. It's hard to say when the S8 hasn't even been announced for sale although the feature set is said to be fixed at this time. As far as I can tell, this analyst is merely speculating as usual. I'd hardly think there would be any less potential buyers than there usually is for a new Galaxy smartphone. I wish they'd stop talking about this nonsense of there not being enough reason for consumers to upgrade. Only those buyers will decide whether the upgrade is worth it to them or not.

Sure, I hope there will be more switchers from the Galaxy smartphones to the iPhone but that's simply a hope and that doesn't guarantee it's going to happen. I still think Galaxy S smartphones have certain appealing features to users that the iPhone doesn't have. Things like Quad-HD displays and memory expansion slots. There's still plenty of room for individual choices. Only time will tell for sure.  Currently, it's too early to be certain about anything.
    So something useless that uses more power and slows down the phone, considering the pentile nature of the display, it's also barely a higher effective resolution than the 7+.
    And again, the god damn "expansion slots" of slow as sludge memory and that makes the phone less waterproof... And yes, Galaxy has fudge a lot on the so called waterproofness of their phone.
    watto_cobratmaycalipscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 60
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'm surprised people ar actually buying these garbage iKnockoffs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Number one selling point: doesn't explode (yet)

i just saw a commercial where Sammy brags about its 8 point battery test. Makes you wonder how they tested before the Galaxy Bomb. 
    caliwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 60

But it here in the real world today, the iPhone is killing everyone else with not only software advantages, but superior CPU and camera innovation. The best fingerprint implementation as well. 

no, in your corner of the real world Apple might be doing well but in others? Forget it. Android and in particular Samsung rules.
    It does not matter about the tech inside as they are not that far apart but Apple is just too expensive here for many people including me.
    I'm using an iPhone 7 (very scratched case but works perfectly) bought from a Pawn Shop and not the latest shiny-shiny from Apple (matt & glossy black etc)
    The target market for phones here is the younger generation. Most of them I see using Phablets running Android. Most of them don't care about the underlying tech wizzardry and more about how they can interact with their friends on social media. The more bling (for the women) the better.
    Apple is just not there for most of them. The few (I have grandkids of this age) that have Apple stuff had them bought for them by their parents. Several have expressed frustration with the iPhone as it is harder to do what is easy with Android.
    Please try to think of what it is like outside the USA. Apple has to make their products work all over the world not just in the Lower 48. (Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii is extra)
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 29 of 60
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    upcoming "iPhone 8," which is expected to use a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED panel -- likely made by Samsung -- with a 5.1-inch practical area, the rest being dedicated to virtual buttons. 
    You never know what is in Apple's mind, but i think it is a complete non-sense to restrict apps to 5.1 area while there are so many full-screen use cases: watching video, internet browsing, games to name just a few. IMO only legacy apps will be confined, new apps will be able to go full screen if needed.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    ... and yet watch the Samsung-sponsored advertorials... whoops, I mean "impartial tech journalists".... give it rave reviews. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    bitmod said:

The same or more technology as Apple for half the price - will always see competitors doing well. Software advantages are slowly becoming irrelevant.
    At this point it's all useless hardware gimmicks, for everyone.

What consumers want is: solid build, waterproof, longer battery, better camera, longer battery, and a longer battery.
    What we see is: thinner, battery gimmicks, other gimmicks, more battery gimmicks.

If they released the iPhone Phatt - 2mm thicker and 5x the battery life. Guess what would sell the most of any phone ever!
    "The same or more technology as Apple for half the price - will always see competitors doing well. Software advantages are slowly becoming irrelevant. "  

Really?  Show me a graph of profits from any smart phone manufacturer you want to back this statement up please.  Perhaps you equate volume to 'doing well' in which case you might want to go back to economics class 101.  

As to "
    Software advantages are slowly becoming irrelevant." This is just too silly to even warrant a response.
    edited March 2017 ericthehalfbeecalipscooter63slprescottwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cali said:
    Yeah competition is such a bad thing. If only we could outlaw any phone not named iPhone.
    singularity
  • Reply 33 of 60
    By the time the iphone8 appears the hype will be enourmous.  And of course it will be generated by the media, none by Apple itself.  So when the phone comes out at the annual event it will not exceed the hype.  The same criticism will be lodged at Apple and they will still go on to sell millions.  Same pattern, different year.  
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 60
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    avon b7 said
    Back scanner is not nearly as well placed for mobile payments. I've seen it used on rare occasion and clumsy is a good word for it. 
    caliericthehalfbeetmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 60
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    bitmod said:

If they released the iPhone Phatt - 2mm thicker and 5x the battery life. Guess what would sell the most of any phone ever!
    I would MUCH MUCH rather have the same thickness phone with 4x the battery life with your magical mythical battery than a thicker phone and 5x the battery life. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 60
    cali said:
    Yeah competition is such a bad thing. If only we could outlaw any phone not named iPhone.
    I would in a heartbeat. I wouldn't call stealing competition unless you're a scumbag who sees thievery as a sport. 

I as a normal person with ZERO experience in engineering have drawn up original product concepts and it's a shame that multi billion dollar corporations can't think of a single original product.

stop making excuses for these iKnockoffs. 
    watto_cobraigorsky
  • Reply 37 of 60
    I think this analyst is definitely missing something. I would think there might be pent-up demand. On Youtube there are many, many videos about the upcoming Galaxy S8. There definitely seems to be a lot of interest in that smartphone. There's always lots of talk about all the wonderful features it's going to have. Of course, most of those videos are made by tech-heads who are always gushing about some smartphone but supposedly this Galaxy S8 is the smartphone to end all smartphones.

I'm not saying this analyst is wrong or right because I can't tell the future like these analysts claim to be able to do. It's hard to say when the S8 hasn't even been announced for sale although the feature set is said to be fixed at this time. As far as I can tell, this analyst is merely speculating as usual. I'd hardly think there would be any less potential buyers than there usually is for a new Galaxy smartphone. I wish they'd stop talking about this nonsense of there not being enough reason for consumers to upgrade. Only those buyers will decide whether the upgrade is worth it to them or not.

Sure, I hope there will be more switchers from the Galaxy smartphones to the iPhone but that's simply a hope and that doesn't guarantee it's going to happen. I still think Galaxy S smartphones have certain appealing features to users that the iPhone doesn't have. Things like Quad-HD displays and memory expansion slots. There's still plenty of room for individual choices. Only time will tell for sure.  Currently, it's too early to be certain about anything.
    I can't believe in 2017 people still don't understand how resolution works. You've fallen victim to samscum marketing.
    pscooter63watto_cobraigorsky
  • Reply 38 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:

I've run though various ergonomic simulations of front and back touch sensors, and the one case that I think that the the back sensor is at a severe disadvantage, is if the phone is lying face up. For the back scanner, you actually have to grip the sides and then try and rotate the phone in your hand. I have big hands, and I can't do it on my iPhone 7 Plus with a case, and its very awkward bare; I wouldn't want to rely on it. Not sure what the use case for an phone face down is, and for a phone face up on a surface, what can be more natural than just a quick touch of the sensor

On the other hand, I can set my iPhone face down and easily flip it and slide my thumb on the the touch sensor. The same applies to pulling it out of pocket, or even having the   iPhone face up and in hand; There just isn't any advantage to a back touch sensor. It's really a case of being either a bad marketing decision or a worse engineering one.

The truth is that it's easier to grip a phone from the bottom sides and ends, at least for humans.

EDIT/UPDATE;

The only marketing reason I can see for a backside touch sensor is to utilize the chins for screen area. Not a good tradeoff, in my opinion, against ease of use.
    edited March 2017 ericthehalfbeewatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 39 of 60
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    avon b7 said:

is so amazing)?

All good questions.  And even if not for those, how could a fingerprint scanner on the upper back be more convenient than one built into the home button?   The latter is drop-dead simple to touch with a thumb in most orientations I hold the phone in.  (Which is probably why they put the home button there to begin with, duh.)  I think the only exception may be that when I'm on a phone call and have the phone pressed to my ear, it is easier to touch the back with an index finger than the home button (with any finger).  But that's hardly a use case for a fingerprint scan.  
    tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 60
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    avon b7 said:

is so amazing)?
    Did you even follow the thread you were responding to before you answered?  Some people were debating the pros and cons of fingerprint sensors on front vs back, and they were referencing existing phones.  Your answer makes no sense in context.  Even if the S8 doesn't end up with a fingerprint sensor on the back, it was a valuable discussion.
    doozydozenStrangeDays