Lengthy iOS 10.3 install time likely due to conversion to new Apple File System

Posted:
in iPhone
Early adopters of the full iOS 10.3 release are seeing lengthy install processes, with multiple device reboots -- probably as a result of the shift to Apple's new APFS.

After quick downloads of 600 megabytes and above, early installs witnessed by AppleInsider are seeing install times greater than 20 minutes on several iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units, with a 12.9-inch iPad Pro taking 27 minutes, and an iPad Air 2 taking about 48 minutes.

An Apple support technician we spoke with recommended not halting the upgrade, but had no insight on how long to the update would take on various models of devices. Devices that aren't quite as full with content take appear to be taking a bit less than ones with nearly full storage, but only a few minutes get shaved off.

As with the beta versions of iOS 10.3, the full release version migrates users to the new Apple File System optimized for flash media.

The new file system is built for future expansion, and jumps to a 64-bit inode number allowing the OS to track more than 9 quintillion files on a disk, adds support for Sparse files, builds in support for extended file attributes, and implements support for full disk and individual file encryption across all of Apple's platforms using multiple keys for user data.

AppleInsider recommends performing a full, encrypted backup prior to updating to iOS 10.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Update without a hitch, only took about ten minutes total on my iPhone 6s Plus.
    magman1979coolfactorcali
  • Reply 2 of 59
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    The "full, encrypted backup" recommendation is well worth remembering. I do iOS updates via iTunes and it takes longer because you get a full system, not an incremental update. I've never had one fail.
    jahbladelostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 59
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    JinTech said:
    Update without a hitch, only took about ten minutes total on my iPhone 6s Plus.
    How is it running?
  • Reply 4 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    APFS was slated for macOS in 2017 I seem to recall.  I wonder if the next developer version might see something more than just the ability to create external drives.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    How solid is the file encryption? That is so important to me
  • Reply 6 of 59
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 
    My iPhone 3GS upgraded in 13msecs   :D

I am not sure why the 1st idiot to answer this thread had to talk out of his/her arse. My iPhone 6 took a little over 90 mins.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 59
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

I am not sure why the 1st idiot to answer this thread had to talk out of his/her arse. My iPhone 6 took a little over 90 mins.
    That's SOP for SOG35. Just get used to it.
    afrodrianton zuykov
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    He was probably on the developer or preview upgrade path. I've been on 10.3 beta for a month now, and I expect this upgrade to take me under a minute. 

(the first 10.3 preview I jumped on, I didn't bother checking to see how long it took, but certainly over 10 minutes)
    edited March 2017 cali
  • Reply 9 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It took my iPad Pro 12.9" a while, but I didn't time it. I do have about 700 apps, and about 32GB free on my 128GB model. Over the years, I've noticed that a lot of updates, not just the betas, can take a surprisingly long time to complete. I'm waiting for the official release for my phone.
    missiongrey
  • Reply 10 of 59
    My update was finished very fast too. No issues here 
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 59
    iPhone 6 has been 'verifying update' for over an hour now.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    Took less than ten minutes for me too
  • Reply 13 of 59
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Took about 10 minutes on my iPhone 6s+, and so far it's buttery smooth, loving it thus far!
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Took longer than usual on iPhone 6 + and iPad Pro, but nothing major. I seriously hope the move to the new file system leads Apple to write a better app for file management than the current iCloud Drive app. Moving a file is a major PITA. Apple needs to create an app similiar to Documents 5. The problem with it is slow syncing. An Apple native app shouldn't have such a problem. 
  • Reply 15 of 59
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Had to abandon it on the iPad, because it was taking ages just to download. (My shitty internet connection is to blame for that.)

Didn't seem to take appreciably longer on the iPhone, but I wasn't timing it.

• Reply 16 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iTunes (12.6.100) crashed twice trying to update from there. Don’t know why. Now trying OTA. OTA updated without issue.
    edited March 2017 lostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 59
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

That's SOP for SOG35. Just get used to it.
    Hint: AI's forums allow for an ignore list. 

I now now enjoy the site again 👍🏼
    eightzeroTomSawyercoolfactorsleakajlostkiwistevenoz
  • Reply 18 of 59
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    My iPad Air 2 took about an hour but my Series 2 watch took the longest by far. iPhone 7 was relatively quick.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Use the damn computer to update it...don't use OA!
  • Reply 20 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:
    It took my iPad Pro 12.9" a while, but I didn't time it. I do have about 700 apps, and about 32GB free on my 128GB model. Over the years, I've noticed that a lot of updates, not just the betas, can take a surprisingly long time to complete. I'm waiting for the official release for my phone.
    Lots of apps on my devices also. Updates took more than a 1/2 hour for each one.