Apple's CarPlay gains quick-access task switcher with iOS 10.3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

vmarks said:
    MplsP said:
    I have a 2017 Audi A4 and have found Car Play to be very inconsistent. Sometimes it works perfectly,  often (maybe 25-30% of the time) it connects and the CarPlay screen comes up on the display, but the audio comes out of the phone. Randomly, the last podcast I was playing starts automatically, but usually not. Unplugging and reconnecting my phone usually helps, but sometimes it takes over a minute for it to recognize the phone when I do so. The worst part is that all of this is random - nothing consistently helps. I havent' tried turning off Bluetooth, so I'll try that and see if it helps. I asked the dealer and they were clueless,  other than to say that 'it's usually a problem with the phone' :neutral: 
    Funny, I was just thinking it's probably a problem w/ the car's head unit system. Of course they'd say phone tho, smirk. I've had several Pioneer third party head units (AppRadio models) and found them flaky as hell. I trust Apple's software people way, way more than the teams putting together these kludgy car units.
    AppRadio 4, Nex 4100, 4200. I found them to be pretty decent, way better than the Kenwood ddx9902.
    AppRadio 1 and 3, both sucked. Will not be buying any more Pioneers.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    FWIW, I tried turning off Bluetooth and it doesn't make any difference. It's really impossible to tell whether it's the auto makers or Apple or a combination of both. Kind of the classic finger pointing game with consumers stuck in the middle. I tend to agree that overall Apple is better with software design, but their software is still far from bug free, and this is a case where they're designing software to work with hardware from multiple other manufacturers, so if the spec isn't completely clear or there are other variables that they didn't plan on you end up with problems.

One thing that makes me think it's a bug on Apple's end is the fact that I get the CarPlay display on my car's screen (and the CarPlay home screen on my phone) but the audio comes out the phone speakers. If the phone knows enough to send the display to the car, why isn't it sending the audio?
  • Reply 23 of 24
    TiBook2002TiBook2002 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Have the nex 4100 and Car Play with 10.3 starts up fast and plays the last song, some times from the beginning. The new mini doc is a great addition. Also wish it allowed for Waze.