AppleInsider podcast talks new iPads, Samsung, and Apple's end to 32-bit apps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mikey talk about the new iPads, the Samsung Galaxy S8 launch and what happened to Apple's stock price, and the impending iOS switch to only 64-bit apps that could break apps you may rely on.

AppleInsider editors Mikey Campbell and Victor Marks discuss:
  • The new iPad: who's it for, how's it perform
  • Inside the iPad: very similar to iPad Air (the first one)
  • The Samsung Galaxy S8 launched, and Apple's stock price went up
  • Apple ending support for 32-bit apps - coming soon
  • How to identify your 32-bit apps that will break
  • ApplePay news from Australia, Taiwan, and Italy
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mikeycampbell81 and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wow the enthusiasm of the voices in this discussion couldn't be less, i dont think i have heard more "ahhhs" or "ummms" in a 3 minute clip ever!! Couldn't listen very long to this.
    maciekskontaktwa4321
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wow the enthusiasm of the voices in this discussion couldn't be less, i dont think i have heard more "ahhhs" or "ummms" in a 3 minute clip ever!! Couldn't listen very long to this.
    You made me laugh. A lot of brainwashed people react like this. I usually appreciate, take distance and watch. Too many "ahh's" "ohh's", "wow's" and next thing you know corporate business or politician put you in trouble for long time.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    It would be interesting to know how many people actually listen to these podcasts. Barely any comments on most of the podcast-advertising articles. I've listened to a couple, but they're really not too interesting, a severe lack of enthusiasm. Maybe if you didn't read the articles over the previous week it's a sort of roundup to hear on your way to work, but other than that, its just a couple of blokes droning on about questionable rumours. Sorry, nope.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    elijahg said:
    It would be interesting to know how many people actually listen to these podcasts. Barely any comments on most of the podcast-advertising articles. I've listened to a couple, but they're really not too interesting, a severe lack of enthusiasm. Maybe if you didn't read the articles over the previous week it's a sort of roundup to hear on your way to work, but other than that, its just a couple of blokes droning on about questionable rumours. Sorry, nope.
    About 10,000 listens per episode.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    probably the most painful episode ever. I had to turn off after 15 minutes. Both Victor and Mikey both seemed like they hated doing the show and could care less about it. Please find new host!
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 6 of 10
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    elijahg said:
    About 10,000 listens per episode.
    And we do get feedback from people who comment on the last story in the recording.

Would I like to make more people happy? Yes. 
    Is editing out every filler vocalization (um, er, ah) practical? Not without a more advanced AI.

(I've practiced to eliminate most of mine from my speech, but "so" is my guilty filler word.)

We're happy to get listener email and address topics listeners bring up.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    wa4321 said:
    probably the most painful episode ever. I had to turn off after 15 minutes. Both Victor and Mikey both seemed like they hated doing the show and could care less about it. Please find new host!
    Not hating it over here. I'm sorry it was painful for you. What would you like to do differently?

What was difficult this episode was continued background noise interruption, which meant we did several takes of some segments and then had to creatively edit out others where we hadn't done enough extra takes, and I wasn't going to release it with background noise if I could help it.

That you didn't hear that shows I was right to put in the effort. 

elijahg said:

Comments aren't the only measure of interest in an article. We get listener email that we sometimes read from on the podcast, too.

What format would you change it to, instead of covering the past week's articles with additional commentary?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    wa4321wa4321 Posts: 8member
    vmarks said:
    wa4321 said:
    Not hating it over here. I'm sorry it was painful for you. What would you like to do differently?

What was difficult this episode was continued background noise interruption, which meant we did several takes of some segments and then had to creatively edit out others where we hadn't done enough extra takes, and I wasn't going to release it with background noise if I could help it.

That you didn't hear that shows I was right to put in the effort. 

elijahg said:

Comments aren't the only measure of interest in an article. We get listener email that we sometimes read from on the podcast, too.

What format would you change it to, instead of covering the past week's articles with additional commentary?
    Not sure exactly what would make for a more exciting podcast about apple news, but the overall monotone dialogue was disappointing this week. I can't say I've been the longest subscriber to this cast nor can I recall everyone's name that appears on the show but this weeks combination of hosts was less entertaining than i normally find the show to be is all. Not to come off as insulting or implying that i could do better or even create a podcast period for that matter but this was the first time that i had to turn it off since subscribing. Just a general observation of the show- one of the main host(forgive me for not being sure of his name, but i think its neil??) is normally more enthusiastic/inquisitive toward the subjects and you, and Mikey(?) are a little more pessimistic/dismissive and the combination of two negatives in this situation didn't equal a positive. Then again, maybe it was the overall disappointment of this weeks news and underwhelming product releases at apple...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    juehoejuehoe Posts: 3member
    Very good and informative Podcast (as always).

But I would like to ask Mikey something less to smack and all the other unnecessary noises. This episode was not a pleasure to listen.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mcbanjomcbanjo Posts: 11member
    Quite a bit of argument in the episode about the ACCC ruling. I would suggest you cut the arguing in future episodes as it doesn't make for good listening.

Here's my understanding based on my limited understanding of Australian consumer law I studied at university.

• Consumer law and competition is mostly regulated in Australia by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010
    • The ACCC ('a' triple-c) is the 'policeman' of this Act and will enforce it in the courts
    • The banks collectively negotiating or boycotting a company using their market power to the detriment of consumers is shaky legal ground and could be in violation of competition law
    • The banks were seeking a ruling that would provide statutory protection from court action for conduct that might otherwise raise concerns under the competition provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010
    • The ACCC said they were not going to grant this because the benefits to consumers do not outweigh the costs
    To sum up the confusion between the podcast presenters. The banks can refuse to negotiate individually of course - but if evidence arises that the banks are not acting in an arms-length relationship and are working together to boycott, they will not have statutory protection from action from the ACCC - and there is a chance they could face action (large fines, etc).
    edited April 2017