Apple's Find my iPhone fingers a phone finagler

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 57
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,437member
    I don't get several things.  How did so many people get pick-pocketed?  This alleged thief doesn't exactly look like "Mr. Delicate".    Or is it that they had their phones in backpacks and they put them down to dance or whatever and that's how they got stolen?   And how did they use "find my iPhone" if they didn't have a device to do so?  Did so many of these people bring computers or have Apple watches?  Even if they used someone else's device, if I were in that situation, I don't think I'd remember my iCloud username and password.  

    There used to be an Italian restaurant and bar near the 59th Street Bridge in NYC that was owned by a reformed pickpocket.   For "entertainment", he'd greet you and remove your watch or belt (and then give it right back to you).   If you came in with somebody else and he recognized you, he'd say, "does she know?"  And if you said no, he'd remove something.   Except that when he tried to remove my belt, I felt it and knew exactly what he was doing.   Most people, especially those young people at Coachella, wear pretty tight clothes.  I don't get how someone could steal their iPhones without them feeling something.   Half the time, I have trouble getting my iPhone out of my own pocket.  

      


    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 42 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,005member
    zoetmb said:
    I don't get several things.  How did so many people get pick-pocketed?  This alleged thief doesn't exactly look like "Mr. Delicate".    Or is it that they had their phones in backpacks and they put them down to dance or whatever and that's how they got stolen?   And how did they use "find my iPhone" if they didn't have a device to do so?  Did so many of these people bring computers or have Apple watches?  Even if they used someone else's device, if I were in that situation, I don't think I'd remember my iCloud username and password.  

    There used to be an Italian restaurant and bar near the 59th Street Bridge in NYC that was owned by a reformed pickpocket.   For "entertainment", he'd greet you and remove your watch or belt (and then give it right back to you).   If you came in with somebody else and he recognized you, he'd say, "does she know?"  And if you said no, he'd remove something.   Except that when he tried to remove my belt, I felt it and knew exactly what he was doing.   Most people, especially those young people at Coachella, wear pretty tight clothes.  I don't get how someone could steal their iPhones without them feeling something.   Half the time, I have trouble getting my iPhone out of my own pocket.  

      


    This thief should be compelled by court order to compensate all of his victims, plus provide them with the method he used to steal from them so they don't get victimized again.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    His technology posts are typically pretty good but I had to unfollow him on twitter because of his left wing hate rants.  I guess I'll just have to take AI out of my newsfeed too...https://www.macrumors.com instead. 
    SpamSandwichewtheckman
  • Reply 44 of 57
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,160member
    zoetmb said:
    I don't get several things.  How did so many people get pick-pocketed?  This alleged thief doesn't exactly look like "Mr. Delicate".    Or is it that they had their phones in backpacks and they put them down to dance or whatever and that's how they got stolen?   And how did they use "find my iPhone" if they didn't have a device to do so?  Did so many of these people bring computers or have Apple watches?  Even if they used someone else's device, if I were in that situation, I don't think I'd remember my iCloud username and password.  

    There used to be an Italian restaurant and bar near the 59th Street Bridge in NYC that was owned by a reformed pickpocket.   For "entertainment", he'd greet you and remove your watch or belt (and then give it right back to you).   If you came in with somebody else and he recognized you, he'd say, "does she know?"  And if you said no, he'd remove something.   Except that when he tried to remove my belt, I felt it and knew exactly what he was doing.   Most people, especially those young people at Coachella, wear pretty tight clothes.  I don't get how someone could steal their iPhones without them feeling something.   Half the time, I have trouble getting my iPhone out of my own pocket.  

      


    I've been to Coachella many times. I imagine it was really easy for this guy to steal phones. You would be amazed at how many people, especially women, who have their phone in their back pocket sticking halfway out. Most of the phones were stolen out of the Sahara Tent, where EDM artists perform. I doubt people are going to notice when they are jumping up and down jam packed next to other people. 
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Excellent headline, I learned a new word: finagler. Thanks from NL!
  • Reply 46 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,005member
    Excellent headline, I learned a new word: finagler. Thanks from NL!
    You learned a new word that is being used incorrectly in the context of the story.

    To finagle implies someone was cheated, which is not the case here. These phones were stolen, not obtained by trickery. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 47 of 57
    sphericspheric Posts: 1,739member

    jason98 said:
    Wonder why he simply did not turn off devices right after picking. Find My iPhone simply does not work while device is shut down.
    Would be REALLY nice feature to have in iPhone if it could continue sending GPS location to iCloud using some kind of ultra-low power mode, ideally powered by a small spare battery or an ultra-capacitor.
    Now that would be the way to go if one COULD do that without unocking. Atleast I can not turn of an iphone (modern IOS) without unlocking (or any hacking),
    I have no idea what you're using, but I just turned off my iPhone 6s running 10.3.1 without unlocking it — just by holding the power button and then sliding to shut down.
    mike1
  • Reply 48 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    He should've just stolen Android phones, but shit...who wants to buy a used android phone?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,870member
    jason98 said:
    Wonder why he simply did not turn off devices right after picking. Find My iPhone simply does not work while device is shut down.
    Would be REALLY nice feature to have in iPhone if it could continue sending GPS location to iCloud using some kind of ultra-low power mode, ideally powered by a small spare battery or an ultra-capacitor.
    Now that would be the way to go if one COULD do that without unocking. Atleast I can not turn of an iphone (modern IOS) without unlocking (or any hacking), And he probably didn´t have so much time to concentrate on this if he stole that much phones. So faraday cage still the only option. But you would have to be a bit more clever than this guy. And even more clever if you want to use those locked iphones for anything else than paperweights. Well i dunno, maybe hard reset is possible but if your going to steal those amounts of devices you arent going to have time to debug all that anyways. And that would just reboot the device and it would be back in tracking?
    Absolutely can turn a phone off without unlocking it. SImply hold the standby button down until you get the screen that tells you to "slide to power off".
    dysamoria
  • Reply 50 of 57
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,870member
    zoetmb said:
    I don't get several things.  How did so many people get pick-pocketed?  This alleged thief doesn't exactly look like "Mr. Delicate".    Or is it that they had their phones in backpacks and they put them down to dance or whatever and that's how they got stolen?   And how did they use "find my iPhone" if they didn't have a device to do so?  Did so many of these people bring computers or have Apple watches?  Even if they used someone else's device, if I were in that situation, I don't think I'd remember my iCloud username and password.  

    There used to be an Italian restaurant and bar near the 59th Street Bridge in NYC that was owned by a reformed pickpocket.   For "entertainment", he'd greet you and remove your watch or belt (and then give it right back to you).   If you came in with somebody else and he recognized you, he'd say, "does she know?"  And if you said no, he'd remove something.   Except that when he tried to remove my belt, I felt it and knew exactly what he was doing.   Most people, especially those young people at Coachella, wear pretty tight clothes.  I don't get how someone could steal their iPhones without them feeling something.   Half the time, I have trouble getting my iPhone out of my own pocket.  

      


    You can use any iPhone to find yours. Just log in to the Find my iPhone app using a friend's device. I'm sure many people would remember their iCloud password, especially if they use it to make iTunes purchases.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 51 of 57
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 2,055member
    The mug shot looks like the dude suffered a scuffle of sorts...
  • Reply 52 of 57
    "Dumb it down for America."  Nice. Now you've pissed off a larger demographic - including your own readers.  Lol.  Well done.  And what the hell does being American have anything to do with this dialogue?

    And as the majority of commenters have noted, the analogy was not apt.  So, it's not as clever as you seem to think.   
    Is that actually what he said before he edited his post?

    if so, very troubling. And no it wasn't clever. It was an attempt at being clever without having any real genius behind it. Kind of a shame as most of his stuff is well researched  

    Yes, this is on his Twitter. 




    Are you freaking kidding me? Please tell me this is a photoshop prank. This guy, employed by AppleInsider, can't be spewing hate speech on Americans, right? I don't care what political side he takes. That is inexcusable. No disciplinary action? He had AI right there in his sig and next to it is that filth and intolerant, insensitive idiocy? Whoa. I used to respected this guy. Had no clue he was this kind of a person. Beyond that, what does this kind of trash say about AppleInsider these days?

    I've been with the site since the early days and it really has changed - some good (like the review videos) and some absolutely horrid like this debacle. Seriously concerned about the state of this sites leaadership nowadays.

    EDIT: Just saw his tweet is real. And the replies to it are spot on.

    Aaand... the article URL STILL has the offending article title. Great job, AI...
    edited April 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 53 of 57
    jason98jason98 Posts: 763member
    Habi_tweet said:

    Now that would be the way to go if one COULD do that without unocking. Atleast I can not turn of an iphone (modern IOS) without unlocking (or any hacking), 
    I am on latest iOS, simply long press the power button, then slide to power off. No unlock is needed. 
  • Reply 54 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    This guy, employed by AppleInsider, can't be spewing hate speech on Americans, right?
    One of the best things about the United States is that our country is one of the few on Earth that recognizes that “hate speech” doesn’t exist and the only one that recognizes freedom of speech does exist.

    Not to say you shouldn’t voice your concerns, of course. I’m not defending him here; the flag outside my house kind of biases me. :P
    jason98 said:
    Habi_tweet said:

    Now that would be the way to go if one COULD do that without unocking. Atleast I can not turn of an iphone (modern IOS) without unlocking (or any hacking), 
    I am on latest iOS, simply long press the power button, then slide to power off. No unlock is needed. 
    I’m actually trying to find the setting that forces a password to unlock, and I’m coming up short...

    EDIT: I’m extremely curious to know why my earlier post in this thread was deleted. Since this new forum software doesn’t have ANY logging of post deletion, infractions, or ban records, no one can know why things happen. I put a decent bit of effort into that, it was directly related to the discussing being held, and it wasn’t in violation of any of the rules.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 55 of 57
    DarthJarDarthJar Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I've always said Apple should implement a security feature that is optional where your password is required to turn your phone off. They could code it to where this feature is disabled if trying to do a hard restart. 
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Good. Cart his a$$ off to jail. Loser. 
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Excellent headline, I learned a new word: finagler. Thanks from NL!
Sign In or Register to comment.