Apple's Find my iPhone fingers a phone finagler

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2017
Over 100 attendees of the Coachella music festival in Southern California this weekend were separated from their mobile devices by a pickpocket working the crowds. Fortunately, Apple's Find My iPhone feature saved the day by helping locate the pilfered phones, allegedly nabbed by Reinaldo De Jesus Henao of New York.

Reinaldo De Jesus Henao (left) is accused of stealing over 100 phones (right)

According to a report by the LA Times, more than 100 iPhone and Android users at the music festival were victimized by a single pickpocket.

Some of those who'd discovered they'd been robbed began tracking their lost devices using Find My iPhone, an iCloud service designed to locate missing iPhones.

"Some people inside the venue noticed that their phones were missing, so they used the app, you know, Find My iPhone, or however they were tracking it," noted Indio Police Department public information officer Sergeant Dan Marshall.

Astute iPhone users ended up saving the day, not just for their fellow iOS users but also the Android victims at the event.

The report stated that "tech-savvy festivalgoers followed the suspect around until he was detained by festival security workers."

Marshall reported that "enough people pinpointed it to this person, they notified security, they looked around, they saw a person with a backpack, they detained him and then they called us. When we got there, we discovered these hundred-plus cellphones in his backpack."

Police arrested 36 year old Reinaldo De Jesus Henao of New York, who was charged with possession of stolen property and grand theft.

As Los Angles resident Todd M. pointed out, Jesus was crucified on Good Friday, after having been bitten by Apple.
dysamoria

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Bye.
    MikeymikeRacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 57
    With the exception of the word "Jesus" in his name, I'm not really clear on how that analogy makes sense...never mind the number of Christians you're going to piss off with that headline.  
    ewtheckmanJanNLspacekidskippingrock
  • Reply 3 of 57
    This is low, even by DED standards. 
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 4 of 57
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Are you on drugs DED? What kind of headline is that?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    It's a clever headline. I can dumb it down if necessary. 
    edited April 2017 napoleon_phoneapartadamctoysandmelordjohnwhorfinchiajahbladefracargonautdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 57
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    The headline is stupid. I understand the pressure to be clever, but it just comes across as offensive and disrespectful. 

And it it has no real tie-in to the story. 

Please no more of this. 
    jbdragonskippingrock
  • Reply 7 of 57
    "Dumb it down for America."  Nice. Now you've pissed off a larger demographic - including your own readers.  Lol.  Well done.  And what the hell does being American have anything to do with this dialogue?

And as the majority of commenters have noted, the analogy was not apt.  So, it's not as clever as you seem to think.   
    edited April 2017 jbdragonskippingrock
  • Reply 8 of 57
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Wonder why he simply did not turn off devices right after picking. Find My iPhone simply does not work while device is shut down.
    Would be REALLY nice feature to have in iPhone if it could continue sending GPS location to iCloud using some kind of ultra-low power mode, ideally powered by a small spare battery or an ultra-capacitor.
    edited April 2017 argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 57
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Did this guy time travel from 1998 to 2017?
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 57
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    He looks like a friendly and jolly chap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 57
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    And as for the headline...I'm not sure if "fingers" used as a verb has the same meaning in the States as in the UK, but here it can mean something pretty crass and x-rated. So, maybe bear that in mind for next time. For the sake of illiteration, I'm not sure it was worth it. But there are a few other words that would have worked: foils, frustrates, fools.

Edit: Apple News has just revealed the original headline you guys were complaining about. And there's me thinking it was the current one - which seems tame in comparison - but still comes off as trying too hard. Sorry.
    edited April 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 57
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Has the word 'finger' becomes offensive?

Still trying to figure out.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 57
    It's a clever headline. I can dumb it down for America if necessary. 
    It's as clever as you could come up with; I'll grant that much.  Just one more reason to move on to another Apple rumors and news site.  

Peace!  No more click ad revenue from me.  You bore me.
    You'll be missed. Bwahahahahaha no I keed, I keed. Buh bye.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 57
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    adamc said:
    Has the word 'finger' becomes offensive?

Still trying to figure out.
    The current headline "Apple's Find my iPhone fingers a phone finagler" is not the original headline, AI changed it already. The original headline the previous posts were complaining about was different, a Jesus reference (the thief's name) and some other nonsense.
    dysamoriaskippingrock
  • Reply 15 of 57
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
     Bleh! And I thought the iPhone 6 was ugly.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Can't believe I missed the original headline :(

Sounds like it would only make sense though if on the third day he rose again.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Too much Easter eggs.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    frxntier said:
    Can't believe I missed the original headline :(

Sounds like it would only make sense though if on the third day he rose again.
    An optimist always smells roses 🌹 
  • Reply 19 of 57
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    With the exception of the word "Jesus" in his name, I'm not really clear on how that analogy makes sense...never mind the number of Christians you're going to piss off with that headline.  
    How about "Jesus pickpockets phones at Coachella, astute iPhone users ended up saving the day, not just for their fellow iOS users but also the Android victims at the event!"
    tnet-primaryedred
  • Reply 20 of 57
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    "Dumb it down for America."  Nice. Now you've pissed off a larger demographic - including your own readers.  Lol.  Well done.  And what the hell does being American have anything to do with this dialogue?

And as the majority of commenters have noted, the analogy was not apt.  So, it's not as clever as you seem to think.   
    Is that actually what he said before he edited his post?

if so, very troubling. And no it wasn't clever. It was an attempt at being clever without having any real genius behind it. Kind of a shame as most of his stuff is well researched  
    edited April 2017