Another alleged 'iPhone 8' schematic shows Touch ID home button on back of device, vertica...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    To me the way the cutout is I think the touchid sensor should have been inserted into the Apple logo on the back, though I don't think that Apple should be taking a page out of Samesung's book and putting the sensor on the back. Hopefully this isn't actually real, one can only hope.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 68
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    "When held in portrait mode, the cameras would be side-by-side, allowing for depth perception and 3D imagery matching the orientation of the user's own eyes."

I think you meant to write: "When held in LANDSCAPE mode..."  In portrait mode the cameras on one above the other.  In landscape mode they are next to each other (side by side).
    I don't think the orientation matters for (software) depth perception - but it could certainly mess up stereo photography.

Might help break people of the Portrait habit.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    If this were to be legit, maybe it could be for inductive charging and not Touch ID?
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 24 of 68
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm beginning to think the fingerprint sensor will be on the back. Schematics came out around this time before the iPhone 6 and they turned out to be the real deal. I hope this isn't the case, but Apple must be having issues integrating the fingerprint sensor under the screen. Maybe it won't be ready until the iPhone in 2018. I definitely won't like a rear fingerprint sensor. 
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 68
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    We all seen this before, these drawings show up, and the guys who make cases think they are real and begin making cases based on these designs only to find out they were fake and get stuck trying to sell product which does not match the phone.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 68
    tourun said:
    Samsung 8 reviews are coming out.  Negative comments by most of the reviewers are about the fingerprint sensor on the back.  I don't think Apple will put Touch ID on the back of the phone.  
    Only Samsung has messed up with the position of fingerprint scanner on the back. All other Android OEMs have put them in the right place, like the one shown in this article. S8 is an aberration which should not be compared for the position of FPS for iphone 7s/8. It won't be terrible like Samsung S8. It will be much more intuitive and people will get used to it within 2-3 days max.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    lkrupp said:
    Looking more and more like this thing will be a Samsung Galaxy clone running iOS. Screw that!
    I don't think Apple will mess up with handling like Samsung did. Even in the backside, position of FPS matters. Samsung screwed by putting it right next to camera which Apple won't do (for sure). Below camera is a far better place to keep on the backside of the phone which Apple will do. The curved edge display in S7 edge/S8/S8+ LOOKS great, and people are falling for it (millions of them) !!!. But it is not so great when it comes to handling. I don't think Apple will take that route either.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

This looks real. Looks like iPhone8 will have touchID on the back. YUCK.

makes me wonder what Tim Cook does with that $10 billion R&D budget? Probably spends half of it on his dumb ass social crusades.
    Why is this rumor more credible than the rumors it contradicts?
  • Reply 29 of 68
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    The fingerprint sensor will probably be on the back, but the home button (or equivalent) and the screen will probably be on the back too. The camera will be on the back, but an even better one will be on the front. 
  • Reply 30 of 68
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I take rumors for what they are, FAKE NEWS!!!! I just don't worry about it. What will be, will be. Will I upgrade, or will I go a 4th year with my iPhone 6? I went 4+ years with my iPhone 4 before getting my iPhone 6 which I'm on my 3rd year with. What will I do, I'll know when Apple actually announces the new iPhones and I have real facts. I sold that 4+ year old AT&T 32 gig iPhone 4 to T-Mobile for $202. It looked like new, though it was pretty slow at that point. My iPhone 6 looks like NEW also. It's in a good protected case which allows me to actually hold the phone without slipping out of my hand. If the fingerprint scanner ends up on the back, that would be pretty lame. You might as well keep the Home and touch ID button as is then have a virtual home button and a scanner on the back. That's just dumb and what Samesung did. how about Apple NOT copying Samesung on that dumb move.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 68
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    We've seen 3 different schematics in the last 3 days.  Sounds fishy. I wouldn't put too much credence in this rumor
  • Reply 32 of 68
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I have a sinking feeling Apple might actually end up doing this.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

makes me wonder what Tim Cook does with that $10 billion R&D budget? Probably spends half of it on his dumb ass social crusades.
    Why is this rumor more credible than the rumors it contradicts?
    This is a pro drawing for a real product. A LOT of work went into it. No one created that drawing for **its and giggles. And it also seems the most plausible considering the time restraints. They already have the CNC machines and experience from the 5 series to crank out these case bodies fairily quickly.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    bushman4 said:
    We've seen 3 different schematics in the last 3 days.  Sounds fishy. I wouldn't put too much credence in this rumor
    This one sounds and looks the most plausible.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

I tend to agree I like the home and unlock button on the front.

However, I use the Motorola Atrix which had the finger print reader on the back, forget the fact it did not work well and took multiply attempts to get it to recognize your finger. I actual like its location, for one reason, you could easily unlock the phone one handed as you were doing other things with your left or right hand. It was easy to hold the phone with one hand and move your finger to the back side and touch the senor. You can not do this as easily with the iphone with the bottom at the bottom front. BTW, Motorola used the same company Apple bought for its senor, they just failed on execution unlike Apple.

Hmmm...I use TouchID to unlock or use Apple Pay, one handed, multiple times every day.  I put it "upside down" in my pocket, so that when I grab it at the end I already have TouchID gripped.  This makes using Apple Pay a cinch.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    So I'm just thinking about this - for current phones Apple says the touch sensor is integrated into device security, so you have to take it to Apple to have the home button replaced. If they integrate the touch sensor/home button with the screen then that would mean you could no longer take it anywhere but Apple to replace the screen when it breaks. 
  • Reply 37 of 68
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Fingerprint sensor being on the back is a deal breaker for me unless they have a better way to unlock the phone.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    vlad1kvlad1k Posts: 11member
    vukasika said:
    Calm down folks.  I've actually used a Google Nexus 6P.  The finger print scanner on the back is no big deal at all.  It is just as accessible if not more convenient than having it on the front.  
    Is it more convenient and gives you more freedom if you have to hold your phone to unlock? What do you do when it's on your desk and you cannot hold it or when it's mounted?
  • Reply 39 of 68
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    vlad1k said:
    vukasika said:
    Calm down folks.  I've actually used a Google Nexus 6P.  The finger print scanner on the back is no big deal at all.  It is just as accessible if not more convenient than having it on the front.  
    Is it more convenient and gives you more freedom if you have to hold your phone to unlock? What do you do when it's on your desk and you cannot hold it or when it's mounted?
    Side button? If its mounted, it's likely doing something that stops the screen from locking. Navigating with maps for example?
  • Reply 40 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    vukasika said:
    Not if you're using your thumb.