Tim Cook says Apple is 'investing aggressively' in the future of the Mac

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Soli said:
    wizard69 said:

The state of the mac went from stale to dusty to long silence to emergency catch-up mode. Ugly.

You got that exactly right.   Something stinks at Apple, I'm not sure what it is but frankly the Mac division needs a new manager.   Frankly they could hire a stripper form the local strip joint and get more active management of the division.     Probably smarter too, as she would likely be able to understand customer needs better and have demonstrated communications skills.    All we get from Apple these days, with respect to the Mac is complete BS, no useful information or commenting at all.
    /s?
    His stripper comment may be hyperbole, but I think the tone of his message is void of any sarcasm.
    It's as if Apple didn't *just* put out a wealth of useful information and commenting on the Mac recently... 
  • Reply 102 of 112
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    blastdoor said:
    Glad to hear this, and I'm beginning to think he means it. 
    I've always thought he meant it. It's just how he means to implement it is what concerns me. Jobs talked about trucks vs cars, and how nobody wants a truck. Cook took that to heart.

I want a Mac that is meant to be user configurable by the user whenever the user feels the need to do so, and not just at the time of sale. As part of that pipe dream, I'd like to see Apple offer competitively priced upgrades.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    macgui said:
    blastdoor said:
    Glad to hear this, and I'm beginning to think he means it. 
    I've always thought he meant it. It's just how he means to implement it is what concerns me. Jobs talked about trucks vs cars, and how nobody wants a truck. Cook took that to heart.
    1) Of course he meant it. You can look at the amazing advancements Apple has made for Macs since the iPad was released in 2010 to see that.

2a) Jobs never said "nobody wants a truck." In fact, Jobs comment was to show people like you that just because you drive a car and cars out number trucks, it doesn't mean "trucks" aren't an integral part of society.

"PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of X people.”

2b) Right now, just with the iPad and Mac for the last quarter—which is the Mac's best quarter ever—over 2x iPads are sold for every Mac. Now through in the iPhone since that's also a PostPC device, and you have around 14x iOS-based devices for every macOS-based device sold. Sounds like Jobs was right on fucking point, to me.
    edited May 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 104 of 112
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    People it wasn't meant to be literal. 

The iPad was supposed to become the device that carried us forward beyond the PC.  
    It was to be  as Tim Cook states “The iPad is the clearest expression of our vision of the future of personal computing.” 

13 straight quarters of declining sales says otherwise.  While a profit seeking company may love the idea of an appliance 
    that cannot be upgraded, has no access to the filesystem and has only one way of getting apps onto it consumers are electing 
    to stick with traditional form factors.  

Steve said it best 

https://youtu.be/65_PmYipnpk?t=3m3s  

“And if we succeed, they’ll buy them. And if we don’t, they won’t. And it’ll all work itself out.”

The iPad is not a failure, but it's no savior either. 
    Well, if we aren't being literal then it is iOS that is going to carry us forward beyond the PC.  Our family uses our phablets as often as we use the iPad and more than we use the PC except for work.

iPhones also can't be upgraded and has no access to the filesystem but handles a large percentage of our computing needs.  This is a computing form factor that didn't exist before 2007.  

The PC form factor has been in decline for 5 years.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/pc-market-notches-fifth-straight-year-of-declining-shipments/

In 2011 365 million PCs shipped.
    In 2016 269.7 million PCs shipped.

What traditional form factor are consumers electing to stick with because it isn't PCs which lost nearly 100 million units shipped in just five years. 
    "Finally, you’ve got customers who increasingly treat their personal computer as if it’s on a similar replacement cycle to their refrigerator or washing machine."
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/242572-pc-market-just-fell-fifth-straight-year-unit-shipments-continue-decline

"In addition, Kitagawa notes that back-to-school sales in the consumer market have failed to generate excitement about new PCs. In most cases, whether it's in the developed economies or emerging markets, users are accessing the internet through smartphones or phablets."
    http://www.informationweek.com/infrastructure/pc-and-servers/pc-market-still-declining-but-not-as-sharply/d/d-id/1327161

Apple is likely content with iPad sales because it's the iPhone 7/7+ that steals the majority of iPad sales.  Not PCs.

And it's a great quarter when the PC decline is only 2.4%
    Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.2 million units in the first quarter of 2017, a 2.4 percent decline from the first quarter of 2016, according to preliminary results by Gartner, Inc. The first quarter of 2017 was the first time since 2007 that the PC market experienced shipments below 63 million units in a quarter.The PC industry experienced modest growth in the business PC market, but this was offset by declining consumer demand. Consumers continued to refrain from replacing older PCs, and some consumers have abandoned the PC market altogether. The business segment still sees the PC as an important device, and it's the main work device for businesses.
    http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3676117
  • Reply 105 of 112
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Based on the information released so far, the Mac Pro is speculated to be about 1% of Mac unit sales. Not a lot but these are $3000 to $10000 machines. Apple sells about 20m Macs per year. In the last 3 years, at 1% of the unit volume, that's 600,000 machines. With an ASP of $4000, that's $2.4b. Not a small chunk of change.

Apple didn't lose all these sales as they sold some 2013 Mac Pros, but small changes in percentages have quite the big effect here. If it was 1.5% of Mac unit sales, that's almost a million units and about $4b. If they had an attractive machine, maybe it could have been 3% of Mac sales.

Moreover, not having an Apple 4k Thunderbolt Cinema display hurt too. Here, laptop and Mac Pro customers would have bought them, and Mac Pro customers could buy two or three. An Apple branded 4k display would have been $1500, if not $2000. 700k units across three years would be about $1b. I think 700k display units across 3 years is low ball number. 60m Macs were sold. If 5% of those customers bought one, that's 3m displays for about $4.5b in revenues. 

And this is just over the last 3 years. They say they won't have a new Mac Pro and display until after 2017, and there's no certainty for shipping in 2018.

Yes, everyone releases a dud. It may happen to a company's most important product, like Windows 8. But it doesn't mean they don't deserve to be raked over the coals. You guys don't need to defend them on this. You really don't. Apple didn't come to realize they had a dud late last year in 2016 or so, or waited until late last to finally bite the bullet and start over. That's astonishing. 

They certainly knew that they built a machine that would have been hard to update and they knew the roadmaps of their component suppliers. Somebody messed up.

Aye.  They stuffed up.  'Nice' machine.  Powerful at the time.  But...well, you said it.  And you backed it up with some reasonable figures.  That's a lot of money left on the table for their 2nd grossing product line...and, for me, their most important product.  The monitor makes sense.  5k and 8k.  The Apple 'badge' is important and many laptop owners would snap them up.  Mac Pro?  Dual processor.  Dual GPU.  At least two SSD.  More compact than the Cheesegrater.  Anodised in matt black or just plain aluminium as they had last time.  Updating a classic design.  The cylinder Pro seems, in hindsight, like folly compared to the grater.  All it needed was updating.  Got to HP's site, or Amari (Is it, who make workstations?) and see workstations.  £2500 (£3000 post Brexit,) for a crappy quad core model...and no option to have a single gpu vs two.  No kb.  No mouse.  Trying to close down choice (no Nvidia option?) and ratchet up the price as has happened on iMacs.

iMacs?  Zen, Ryzen cpu.  Half the power twice the cores.  Outperform Intel in the very 'pro' creative market Apple professes.  Vega release imminent.  Want to get serious? 'X Mac' the 'i Mac.  8 core cpu.  Vega gpu.  If it's 'pro' then put some cheese grater holes on the back...fit it with cooling and shape it needs to do the job.  I'm quite impressed by the M$ (through gritted teeth I tell you, no M$ fan here...) Studio.  I thought, 'There's the iMac of someone's dreams...' (bar the specs...)  Finally, Apple has to raise their game because they do have some competition.  Finally.  Put the internals of the iMac in pizza box base.  Have a razor thin display.  Can you get 8 core and vega in a pizza box base?  I don't know.  That's Apple's job.  Not mine.  Have that razor thin display adjustable.  Have two models.  One with 'expensive' digitiser.  One without ala Macbook Pro touch bar.  'Touch' screen may not make sense for fingers.  But for the Apple pen?

or just do a 27 inch iPad.  Or...just make a version of their next display a 'wacom' style 'pen' input display.  It doesn't have to be 'touch' but wacom style input is more than viable.  Apple, as proved with iPad Pro can bring something to this market ie.  Just the 'top bit' and adjustable stand off the MS studio display.  That way...you could sell it to iMac, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro customers.

And the easy option is just to have a 27 inch iPad Proginormous.  I'd call it the 'iOS desktop' (one day?)  

At the least, they can 'Astropad' the iPad Pro to make that work with the Mac.  But that's rigid philosophy for you.

If they're the Apple ecosystem Apple says it is...why can't an iPad work more efficiently with Mac apps? Dock your iPad via software to drive Mac apps.  To share info.  Etc.  To draw 'on' your Mac through your iPad.  I look forward to an iPad Pro 12.9 incher, an updated one...and trying out Astropad for myself on stuff like Manga Studio, Rebelle, Affinity Designer and Photo.  And when not at the Mac you get to play with Procreate (great app...)

Mac.  iPad.  It's like Apple's 'stopped' for about 3 years.  Much of it we can point the finger at Intel Cpus.  But if you're sitting on a 25 billion Mac business, to leave machines rotting for upto 3 years with no updates while at the same time taking 'new' money for 'old' goods.  Well.  It aint personal, it's corporate, right?

But, yes, we trucks.  There are loads more 'cars' that Apple sells.  iPhone gives an 'iPod' halo to Mac sales.  As I'm sure the iPad does too.  Then you've got the stores online and concrete real world stores...which are a fantastic halo for the Apple ecosystem.

There's plenty of options for Apple.  But it seems they're more bothered about their 'share' options.

'Money isn't everything.'  Steve Jobs.  (Not that you'd know that from Apple's upsell, nick and diming, old tech stagnant road show.  Mac Pro.  iMac.  Mac Mini.  They're outrageously out of date.  *thinks back to when Jobs came back to Apple and Apple iMac and Towers had focus, energy and updates and yes, DECENT value prices.)

1% or more may be Mac Pro sales.  But they left more sales on the table with a mind warping STARTING £3000 sticker price on 3 year old specs.  How much more?  HP seem to be doing ok with desktop machines with a variety of exciting form factors.  Check out their workstation/tower cube.  They have 'choice' on their website.  I was amazed at how they're not boring beige boxes anymore.  Still run windows though.  But a design excitement that's gone mission in Apple desktops for the last 3 years.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    I'd like an 8 core, vega, 8k iMac.

Lemon Bon Bon. :)
  • Reply 107 of 112
    Dual Dual link.  Remember when Steve said that about the 'new' 30 inch display at the time?

That's what's missing.  But they did 'kind of' do what with teh 5k iMac.

How can Dell have an 8k monitor and Apple not?  Apple, the very company that not only '5k'd' Dell last time...but put a computer with it and it was still cheaper!!!

That's teh Apple I want.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

iMacs?  Zen, Ryzen cpu.  Half the power twice the cores.  Outperform Intel in the very 'pro' creative market Apple professes.  Vega release imminent.  Want to get serious? 'X Mac' the 'i Mac.  8 core cpu.  Vega gpu. 
    I dunno, folks seem to love claiming AMD is finally awesome and I keep thinking meh.  I'd still rather have a i7-7700K over a Ryzen 7 1800X.  And AMD really dropped the ball in supporting their motherboard vendors at launch. 

At the end of the day AMD is still reporting a net loss of $73M and reporting their margins will drop at point even with upcoming Vega and Naples launch (WTF?).

I doubt Apple would bother.
  • Reply 109 of 112
    thttht Posts: 5,606member
    lemon bon bon. said:
    Mac Pro?  Dual processor.  Dual GPU.  At least two SSD.  More compact than the Cheesegrater.  Anodised in matt black or just plain aluminium as they had last time.  Updating a classic design. 
    I'm partial to a modern rendition of the NeXTstation cube. Something 13 x 13 x 13 inches. Same backplane board concept with 4 slots at double-wide spacing, and instead of 5.25" bays in the center, a gigantic heatsink to move 1000 W out of the box. The boards going into these slots could be something like 12 x 11 inches. These boards would be big enough to do 2 GPUs per board, or 2 CPU sockets per board, or pack in 20 TB of NAND SSD storage, or a sled for multiple 3.5" HDDs.
    or just do a 27 inch iPad.  If they're the Apple ecosystem Apple says it is...why can't an iPad work more efficiently with Mac apps? Dock your iPad via software to drive Mac apps.  To share info.  Etc.  To draw 'on' your Mac through your iPad

iPad as an input device for a Mac. I call it a "Touchboard". If you want to type, you type on a virtual keyboard. Control the "mouse" pointer through a virtual trackpad. You can use an Apple Pencil to draw or take handwritten notes. Like a MBP with Touch Bar, a MBP with Touch Board essentially have an iPad as input surface to the MBP.

It's like Apple's 'stopped' for about 3 years.

Not stopped. Too focused. It's like they overcompensated after SPJ died and took his focus message to the extreme, and don't seem to be willing to back off as fast.

They have a new Macbook, but curiously made the same mistakes as the 1st gen Macbook Air. The 1st generation Macbook Air model wasn't really that successful. Too slow, not enough ports and too expensive. After a couple of years, the 2nd generation MBA was a home run: SSDs by default made it fast, 2 USB ports and SD card slot hit the 90% sweet spot, and they were cheap compared to the price range before. The Macbook w/Retina display really needs 2 USB ports, a more performant 5 W CPU, and the starting price needs to be driven down to $1000. If this years model does this, the MBA can be retired and the meat of the laptop lineup returns with the Macbook 12" and the MBP13 w/FN keys that can be dropped in price by $200 in a year or so.

Same thing again with the Macbook Pro. That's all a product of too much focus. They did the usual dropping this or that feature thinking that the customer base really didn't need it. Actually this may still be true. Wait and see.

Over the last 3 years, they introduced the iMac 4K and 5K. But they really should have made Fusion drives stock. It looked like this is what they were trying to do with the reduced SSD storage in Fusion drives, but ended up not being able hit their margins or something and couldn't do it.

They thought they had a Mac Pro design that would last 5, 6, 7 years, but that was a prime example of being too focused going all wrong. Don't why they thought not making a 4K and 5K monitor was a good idea.

• Reply 110 of 112
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    So all the talk points to a major update to the iMac ("iMac Pro") in late 2017. 

What about the rest of the iMac lineup? It has been more than a year and a half since the last update. Not even a speed bump in between.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 27" iMac ('future proofed' with the 4Ghz i7, 16 or 32Gb of RAM and the 4GB RAM bto GPU option), in late March. But with WWDC coming up, thought it best to hesitate.

Will it be another 6 months before any upgrade or update to the iMac line? No speed bumps in between? The latest desktop chips from Intel are ready. I would happily buy even a speed-bumped iMac in the interim. Understand, I'm replacing a 2009 27" iMac, which has served me well for 7.5 years. I 'future proofed' that one as well, maxing out most of the bto options at the time... it really started showing its age earlier this year when I ramped up some audio and video production projects. 

So I guess my question is, since there isn't even a whisper of a speed bump coming, does it even make any sense to wait until WWDC to pull the trigger?

Suggestions and rationale are welcome! I've been straining at the leash for two months. If there's no good reason to wait, I'm sure I'd be happy with the current 1.5 year old model. I can also happily wait another two weeks, but really don't want to if it makes no sense to wait.

Thanks in advance!

edited May 2017
  • Reply 111 of 112
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    So all the talk points to a major update to the iMac ("iMac Pro") in late 2017. 

What about the rest of the iMac lineup? It has been more than a year and a half since the last update. Not even a speed bump in between.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 27" iMac ('future proofed' with the 4Ghz i7, 16 or 32Gb of RAM and the 4GB RAM bto GPU option), in late March. But with WWDC coming up, thought it best to hesitate.

Will it be another 6 months before any upgrade or update to the iMac line? No speed bumps in between? The latest desktop chips from Intel are ready. I would happily buy even a speed-bumped iMac in the interim. Understand, I'm replacing a 2009 27" iMac, which has served me well for 7.5 years. I 'future proofed' that one as well, maxing out most of the bto options at the time... it really started showing its age earlier this year when I ramped up some audio and video production projects. 

So I guess my question is, since there isn't even a whisper of a speed bump coming, does it even make any sense to wait until WWDC to pull the trigger?

Suggestions and rationale are welcome! I've been straining at the leash for two months. If there's no good reason to wait, I'm sure I'd be happy with the current 1.5 year old model. I can also happily wait another two weeks, but really don't want to if it makes no sense to wait.

Thanks in advance!

There have been zero actual leaks about iMacs other than Apple themselves saying they'd be making some pro advancements there. However, that does NOT mean they're making an iMac Pro versus just improving the iMac further, and they didn't say when a new iMac would come out. 

I'd personally wait through WWDC to see what comes up, otherwise it's likely it won't happen 'til fall (just a guess based on previous release cycles). I'd be hesitant to buy anything with all the old connectors etc when all signs point to the next iMac going TB3/USB-C connectors etc., unless you're one of those weird "dongles!1111" people.