Apple highlights US job creation on new webpage, touts 2M jobs across 50 states

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

macxpress said:
    seafox said:
    2 Million jobs! (Apple taking credit for 1.5M jobs they don't contribute to the payroll for)
    Those opportunities were created by Apple. Its like car manufacturers don't directly pay for jobs for those that work in parts factories, but the opportunity was created by them so essentially, the car manufacturer created that job. If the car manufacturer decided to move away that job would also go away as it wouldn't be necessary anymore. 

So yes, Apple created those jobs. If Apple shut down the AppStore today, millions of jobs would be lost. 
    2M people are making a living developing apps for iOS? And these people wouldn't have jobs if not for the iOS App Store? Seriously?!?
    Wrong way to characterize this.  Nope body is claiming those folks wouldn't have jobs. It's mere.y a claim that Apple happens to be the proximate cause of those jobs.  That's credit worthy of claiming.  My company, which I started in 2000 with five other cofounders, just recently climbed to 100 employees.  Should I not have a sense of pride in the work I did to design the SaaS software upon which the company was founded?  I wouldn't claim that the talented employees wouldn't otherwise have work, but that fact doesn't take away from the fact that our collective innovation and efforts created 100 additional jobs for the economy.  
    Sounds like the politicians who claim tax cuts pay for themselves because of economic growth. But it's mostly fuzzy math and rosy projections. I'm not saying the internet and mobile technology/devices haven't created jobs. Of course they have. I just think it's a lot more difficult to put a number on it and attribute it to a specific company. I doubt Apple wants people to dig into the of some study that derives these numbers. They just want people seeing a headline somewhere that says Apple has created 2M jobs in the United States. It's good PR.
    Rogifan, the anti-fan. Must find a way to discredit positive Apple news and spin the narrative of nefarious mustache-twirlers deep within Apple...
    This isn't positive Apple news. This is some study that Apple uses to try and spin that they're creating all these jobs in the US. And I suspect now that Trump is president this is only going to intensify.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:
    seafox said:
    2 Million jobs! (Apple taking credit for 1.5M jobs they don't contribute to the payroll for)
    Those opportunities were created by Apple. Its like car manufacturers don't directly pay for jobs for those that work in parts factories, but the opportunity was created by them so essentially, the car manufacturer created that job. If the car manufacturer decided to move away that job would also go away as it wouldn't be necessary anymore. 

So yes, Apple created those jobs. If Apple shut down the AppStore today, millions of jobs would be lost. 
    2M people are making a living developing apps for iOS? And these people wouldn't have jobs if not for the iOS App Store? Seriously?!?
    Wrong way to characterize this.  Nope body is claiming those folks wouldn't have jobs. It's mere.y a claim that Apple happens to be the proximate cause of those jobs.  That's credit worthy of claiming.  My company, which I started in 2000 with five other cofounders, just recently climbed to 100 employees.  Should I not have a sense of pride in the work I did to design the SaaS software upon which the company was founded?  I wouldn't claim that the talented employees wouldn't otherwise have work, but that fact doesn't take away from the fact that our collective innovation and efforts created 100 additional jobs for the economy.  
    Sounds like the politicians who claim tax cuts pay for themselves because of economic growth. But it's mostly fuzzy math and rosy projections. I'm not saying the internet and mobile technology/devices haven't created jobs. Of course they have. I just think it's a lot more difficult to put a number on it and attribute it to a specific company. I doubt Apple wants people to dig into the of some study that derives these numbers. They just want people seeing a headline somewhere that says Apple has created 2M jobs in the United States. It's good PR.
    I agree. At the bottom of the page on Apple's website, the 1.5 million figure is based on research done by Dr. Michael Mandel. I looked up his work and the numbers are a bit flawed. While Apple does create a lot of jobs, the 1.5 million figure isn't entirely accurate. 
    And of course it's not something that can be proven. Its not like actual employees on Apple's payroll or contracts they have a work agreement with. It's more economic theory than anything else. 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    How easy is it to get a job if you know how to develop iOS apps?
    Very easy!
    How hard is it to make a living developing iOS apps? Apparently very hard. 

(Same holds true for apps on other platforms so not dissing on Apple. It is what it is.)

EDIT: This former Apple software engineer has a less-rosy take on the state of the little app developer.
    http://mattgemmell.com/damage/
    Sorry, but this just seems like someone who is butt-hurt from Apple. I disagree with his thinking. Apple has created opportunities for developers, even small ones that have never been possible before. Apple doesn't set the price, the developer does. Where else can you build and app and have the opportunity to have it on millions of devices? If you're a small developer you're always going to be the small fish in a big pond, no matter what platform you're developing for. If I'm a two person team developing an app for Windows I'm a minnow in an ocean of large fish. 

If a developer doesn't like what they're getting into with an app on the App Store, then they can always leave. Nobody forces them to keep going. Yes, they may be out some money, but its an investment on any platform. Nothing is a guarantee. 
    I'm a software guy but I've also launched retail products which got stocked on shelves nationally. What guys like Gemmell leave out when complaining about Apple's 30%, is what it costs to distribute a product in retail. You have to work with distributors who say they'll do a lot but usually don't, but who get a cut about the same as Apple's. It's not much different. And you'd better believe distributors don't help you market your product, that's on you. 
    I own a app development company.  I did a survey among the users of my apps (on Apple App Store and Google Play Store) to see how they got in contact with the apps.  Of the more than 800 replies I got, only 7 of them indicated they got the app by searching on the 2 app stores.  I do not mind that Apple or Google gets 30% if I get a new customer via Apple or Google, but as the survey shows this is not the case.  If you don't setup your own marketing channels next to Apple and Google, your app won't be noticed among the millions of apps on the app stores.  This of course leaves you the question if this 30% cut is still justified. 
    By the way setting up a website to sell and download an app does not cost that much, I already have it available for the desktop versions of my apps.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    How easy is it to get a job if you know how to develop iOS apps?
    Very easy!
    How hard is it to make a living developing iOS apps? Apparently very hard. 

(Same holds true for apps on other platforms so not dissing on Apple. It is what it is.)

EDIT: This former Apple software engineer has a less-rosy take on the state of the little app developer.
    http://mattgemmell.com/damage/
    Apparently, the guy never thought of offering a new version of the app for versions with significant improvements (something I've gladly paid for in each instance)?

Also, app sales are driven by interest, usefulness, novelty, demand, etc., but lacking exposure (advertising or word of mouth) customers may never find a new app in a sea of app offerings.

Frankly, the guy seems like a bit of a whiner.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 25 of 26
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Good move for Apple. They might be the ones to start a "work revolution" back in the U.S....