Apple maintains worldwide tablet marketshare lead in Q1, but cedes ground to Samsung

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This is what I want from my iPad Pro:

1. the ability to drag and drop between apps when using split view
    2. all iPad apps (with maybe the exception of games) are required to support split view
    3. a better way to switch apps when in split view mode
    4. ability to load/save media on to device and edit metadata without having to use iTunes
    5. Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet (similar to how photos can be accessed and shared)

Give me those things and I'd probably never need to use my windows laptop again. Are those unreasonable requests? I think not. 
    Windows alone would make me never want to use that laptop again....
    cali
  • Reply 22 of 51
    cropr said:
    freeper said:
    The damn things just last too long.  I'm on only my second iPad, the first being the iPad 3rd gen (I'd waited for the Retina display).  That was April 2012.  I replaced it with the Air 2 in early 2015.  I use my i.pad, with the Numbers spreadsheet, to manage my seven-figure investment portfolio, track my budget, workouts, etc.  it's been my main [large] screen since I got it; the MacBook Air has spent 95% of its life since unplugged and in the closet, used only to do my taxes each year.  

I did buy an iPad 2 for a girlfriend, and an iPad mini for another.  So there's that.  But I've had three I.phones in the same number of years, and feel I'm far behind in updating my current model (iPhone 6).  Apple needs to find a way to compel iPad upgrades.  Or juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers.  I've a feeling AR might be one dimension of the solution to the iPad problem.  
    Sorry not buying it. I know more than a few people whose iPhone 5 devices still work great. People bought the 6/6s/7/SE because they wanted new phones, not because there was something wrong with the old one. Also, no use pretending that these old iPads - a lot of them 32 bit and running very outdated SOCs - still perform like Porsches. Instead, if the reason why no one is buying new iPads because the old ones are still kicking then it is merely confirmation that they are not being used for anything but streaming, social media and casual gaming by most people. Juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers? Don't you think that Apple didn't try to do exactly that for years, to the point of creating an iPad Pro with a bigger screen and more processing power than their entry level Macs? The reason why iPads don't sell in the enterprise is that they really are limited devices. Even if you argue that they aren't - and totally ignore the differences between an iPad running iOS and a MacBook Pro running macOS in the process - while it may be possible to spend 10 hour workdays hammering away on a 9.7 inch touchscreen device, who wants to when a Windows or Mac with a much bigger screen, physical keyboard, trackpad etc. and can easily be docked to connect to an even bigger screen (or 2 or 3 screens!), better keyboard and mouse is an alternative? The best case that Apple was able to make for the iPad is your ability to leave your laptop behind and take it to meetings. But since A) laptops are nearly as mobile as tablets and B) you can also do the same with your phone especially if it is a phablet (note that iPad sales really began to fall off the cliff when the iPhone 6 Plus was introduced) that didn't justify it either. In my office lots of people use MacBooks (including more than a few who also own Android phones), lots of people have iPhones (including more than a few who use Windows PCs) but I have never seen anyone use an iPad for work other than to test an app. And I work for a tech company.
    It is not uncommon for people to have iPad as their tablet device AND an Android phone as their primary phone. With such a possibility, why iPad sales are NOT growing? It is simply due to longer replacement cycles. Nothing else.
    Longer lasting devices are not the only reason.   Apple fails to attract new customers for its iPad product line, totally in contrast to the iPhone.  My guts feeling is that iOS is the culprit.  iOS shines as smartphone OS but lacks some features (file manager, multi user, decent off-line mode, ...) to make an iPad a general computing device.  If I look at my own situation, I always uses my iPad as a companion device next to something else, never as a my primary device.
    iOS's limitations are well documented. But what are the BETTER alternatives as Tablets? There is NONE which is better than iPads. Two-in-ones are neither good as tablets, nor good as laptops. So longer lasting devices is the primary reason, agreed it is NOT the only reason.
    mike1macpluspluscali
  • Reply 23 of 51
    sog35 said:
    These numbers are utter BULL.

Based on Apple's iPad numbers released for earnings ( 9 million iPads sold) this means that:

1. Samsung sold 6 million tablets (total and utter BS)

2. Huawei/Amazon/Lenovo combined to sell 8 million tablets (total BS)

Total and UTTER BULLSHIT. No way those companies sold even close to that many tablets.

Do you know that Lenovo does sell <$100 tablets in large quantities? Or Huawei has bunch of $100 to $300 tablets selling in few markets? Or that Samsung is largely selling A/E series tablets with $200 to $300 price range. It is another matter why they are included along with tablets with >$300 pricetag (I would have mentioned > $500 few weeks ago, if not for Apple releasing VFM tablets with $329 pricetag). But to claim that they do not exist is NOT prudent. If you don't know anything outside the Apple world, better don't talk about what you don't know.
    edited May 2017 singularity
  • Reply 24 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I see around 100 iPads for every Samsung tablet in the wild. But hey, numbers don't lie, I guess. 
  • Reply 25 of 51
    slurpy said:
    I see around 100 iPads for every Samsung tablet in the wild. But hey, numbers don't lie, I guess. 
    Yes, the sub $100 or $100 to $300 tablets are selling in large quantities in India, may be China as well. If you do not live in those countries, it is highly possible that you don't see them around. Yes, numbers don't lie. And world is bigger than just your locality/city/country.
    edited May 2017 SpamSandwichsingularity
  • Reply 26 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cornchip said:
    I'm sure it will look to the pundits as though the sky is falling even though in reality it's basically the only time ever Apple has had a majority market share on anything. Unless you count Apple Watch I guess.
    Grimzahn said:
    IDC has a history. I am recognizing their numbers as untrustworthy and a waste of time. I am surprised seeing AI taking the time to report about them.
    It helps Android numbers with carriers giving away free Android junk tablets with the addition of a line of service. Or that most of the sales of Android tablets are ultra low budget junk.  it makes Android numbers artificially high.
    Combine this with the blatantly clickbait headline of “...but cedes ground to Samsung” and you know why AI continues to post IDC crap. 
    macpluspluscaliStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    slurpy said:
    Numbers don’t lie? Ha, ha! That’s a good one.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Based on Apple's iPad numbers released for earnings ( 9 million iPads sold) this means that:

Total and UTTER BULLSHIT. No way those companies sold even close to that many tablets.

Do you know that Lenovo does sell <$100 tablets in large quantities? Or Huawei has bunch of $100 to $300 tablets selling in few markets? Or that Samsung is largely selling A/E series tablets with $200 to $300 price range. It is another matter why they are included along with tablets with >$300 pricetag (I would have mentioned > $500 few weeks ago, if not for Apple releasing VFM tablets with $329 pricetag). But to claim that they do not exist is NOT prudent. If you don't know anything outside the Apple world, better don't talk about what you don't know.
    if these numbers are true then Samsung should have 200 million tablet users by now. It does not.

Neither Huawei, Lenovo, or Samsung disclose tablet sales. 

But looking at evidence I find it hard that these companies are selling tens of millions of tablets a year because:

1. If they did they would brag about in their financial reports

2. I would see more of them in the wild (not strong evidence but still true to a point)

3. Android tablet usage would be much stronger

4. Android app sales for tablets would be stronger

There is absolutely ZERO evidence that Android tablets are selling 250% more than iPad
    Huawei and Lenovo have disclosed tablet sales. They don't do it as regularly or as precisely as Apple does, but they have disclosed them.

Huawei reported that it sold over 10 million tablets in 2016. Lenovo reported that it sold almost 11 million tablets in its 2015/2016 year, which ran from April 2015 through March 2016.

Of course, if you live in the United States, it's likely that you wouldn't have seen many of either of those companies' tablets as they sell the vast majority in other countries, e.g. China.
    edited May 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 51
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

if these numbers are true then Samsung should have 200 million tablet users by now. It does not.

But looking at evidence I find it hard that these companies are selling tens of millions of tablets a year because:

2. I would see more of them in the wild (not strong evidence but still true to a point)

There is absolutely ZERO evidence that Android tablets are selling 250% more than iPad

1. Only if they made money out of them, which is NOT the case. When they are selling <$100 tablets or $100 to $300 AND those numbers for individual companies are less than Apple's higher premium tablets, what is there to brag about? And most of them are slowly getting out of the tablet business anyway, except for Samsung/Huawei who keep releasing new tablets every year. Another point - Those millions are shipped, not sold to end users. Even though shipped=sold for the OEM (in the sense that they get money for those sales), the distributors who bought them from Samsung/Lenovo/Huawei may end up heavily discounting them, to be able to sell them.

2. No, they are selling them in India/China, NOT in USA. So both you are correct AND the statistics are correct. You don't get to see them in your part of the world, but they do exist in another part of the world.

3, Again, usage statistics measured by whom? In which country?

4. App sales - on a $100-$300 POS tablets? Come on, be realistic. Why would someone who buys a tablet for $100 would buy Apps for another $50?

Having said all of that, it would make sense for IDC to calculate & publish the tablets market share of Apple and others with >$300 pricetag. That would mean a lot more than the current overall marketshare number which includes <$100 tablets which most likely lose money for the OEMs.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 30 of 51
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Tim Cook waxing poetic about the iPad at every turn, in addition to Apple's perplexingly (at first glance, anyway) casual attitude about steady iPad market share loss, means they've got big plans in this area. 
    edited May 2017 cali
  • Reply 31 of 51
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

1. Only if they made money out of them, which is NOT the case. When they are selling <$100 tablets or $100 to $300 AND those numbers for individual companies are less than Apple's higher premium tablets, what is there to brag about? And most of them are slowly getting out of the tablet business anyway, except for Samsung/Huawei who keep releasing new tablets every year. Another point - Those millions are shipped, not sold to end users. Even though shipped=sold for the OEM (in the sense that they get money for those sales), the distributors who bought them from Samsung/Lenovo/Huawei may end up heavily discounting them, to be able to sell them.

2. No, they are selling them in India/China, NOT in USA. So both you are correct AND the statistics are correct. You don't get to see them in your part of the world, but they do exist in another part of the world.

4. App sales - on a $100-$300 POS tablets? Come on, be realistic. Why would someone who buys a tablet for $100 would buy Apps for another $50?

Having said all of that, it would make sense for IDC to calculate & publish the tablets market share of Apple and others with >$300 pricetag. That would mean a lot more than the current overall marketshare number which includes <$100 tablets which most likely lose money for the OEMs.

Apple has 80% market share on tablets over $200 according to the last earnings call.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4068153-apple-aapl-q2-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

And probably 90-95% market share on tablets over $300.

Those numbers are much more relevant.  But of course these BULLSHIT companies don't want Apple to look too strong.

80% market share for Apple over $200 tablets makes sense to me. And this data is much more relevant than what IDC reported. It would be great if IDC can report the trend over years for this metric. It would show Google/Android OEMs in absolute bad light (steep decreasing trend in the last 3-4 years, much worser than Apple's absolute reduction in tablet sales numbers).
  • Reply 32 of 51
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Apple has 80% market share on tablets over $200 according to the last earnings call.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4068153-apple-aapl-q2-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Those numbers are much more relevant.  But of course these BULLSHIT companies don't want Apple to look too strong.

80% market share for Apple over $200 tablets makes sense to me. And this data is much more relevant than what IDC reported. It would be great if IDC can report the trend over years for this metric. It would show Google/Android OEMs in absolute bad light (steep decreasing trend in the last 3-4 years, much worser than Apple's absolute reduction in tablet sales numbers).
    Just to be clear, that 81% market share is for tablets over $200 in the United States. Apple's iPads are strong in the U.S. market and in the market for higher priced tablets; they're especially strong in the overlap of those markets.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Just my personal opinion. The sales lag can be attributed more to lack of interest than "these things just last too long". Between big phones and good  yet inexpensive laptops the $500 tablet market ens up being niche. Even more proof that Joe Average Consumer has lost interest is tablets aren't used at all anymore as enticements to purchaswe other products.

Tablets won't go away but they turned out not to be the ideal replacement for your home or school classroom computer as we all generally expected they would be. They're a 'tweener without a clear reason for being. A 5"+ smartphone is good enough for a lot of us and if you're sending out emails, filing out forms, or writing a paper a laptop/Chromebook is a whole lot more comfortable and convenient. Reading and media consumption is the only home use where I personally see a tablet as a good formfactor.

For anyone with limited funds and a need for a computing device a tablet, and particularly one at $200+, would never be my first recommendation and I doubt others here would disagree. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 34 of 51
    gatorguy said:
    Just my personal opinion. The sales lag can be attributed more to lack of interest than "hses things just last too long". Between big phones and good  yet inexpensive laptops the $500 tablet market ens up being niche. Even more proof that Joe Average Consumer has lost interest is tablets aren't used at all anymore as enticements to purchaswe other products.

Tablets won't go away but they turned out not to be the ideal replacement for your home or school classroom computer as we all generally expected they would be. They're a 'tweener without a clear reason for being. A 5"+ smartphone is good enough for a lot of us and if you're sending out emails, filing out forms, or writing a paper a laptop/Chromebook is a whole lot more comfortable and convenient. Reading and media consumption is the only home use where I personally see a tablet as a good formfactor.

For anyone with limited funds and a need for a computing device a tablet, and particularly one at $200+, would never be my first recommendation and I doubt others here would disagree. 

It is not a case of either "These things last long" or "lack of interest". It is a combination of both. Growth of phablets (phones with >=5.5 inches display) probably contributed more to the "lack of interest". Lack of progress in iOS (particularly the limitations) or Android (situation is worser here) didn't help the cause either. Once foldable phones are a reality, we will live in a different world. No phones, no tablets, just one device which serves both the purposes. It may be a long way out from now, or it may never happen. But if, as and when it happens, it would be the biggest innovation in smartphones.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    carnegie said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Just to be clear, that 81% market share is for tablets over $200 in the United States. Apple's iPads are strong in the U.S. market and in the market for higher priced tablets; they're especially strong in the overlap of those markets.

Ok, thanks for the correction. I don't see any reason why it would be different in other markets as well, particularly when we are applying the pricetag condition AND the fact that competition is way behind.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    This is what I want from my iPad Pro:

1. the ability to drag and drop between apps when using split view
    2. all iPad apps (with maybe the exception of games) are required to support split view
    3. a better way to switch apps when in split view mode
    4. ability to load/save media on to device and edit metadata without having to use iTunes
    5. Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet (similar to how photos can be accessed and shared)

Give me those things and I'd probably never need to use my windows laptop again. Are those unreasonable requests? I think not. 
    1 Not possible in Touch UI. You cannot drag data such a way in iOS nor in Windows Metro UI. That requires the mouse/pointer interface.
    2 The application must be made split-view compatible. iOS provides it, it is the application's job to use it.
    3 Is this why you use a Windows laptop?
    4 There are many third party applications that load/save media. There may be also metadata editing applications. But if there is none, then complaining about iTunes is pointless, isn't it? At least there exists the iTunes solution. If you downlad and use non-standard pop-culture media formats you are on your own in editing metadata, consult the forums related to these types of files.
    5 Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet is the job of the playback or storage application in which you store or view your media.

Check Infuse in the AppStore.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 37 of 51
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    gatorguy said:
    Just my personal opinion. The sales lag can be attributed more to lack of interest than "these things just last too long". Between big phones and good  yet inexpensive laptops the $500 tablet market ens up being niche. Even more proof that Joe Average Consumer has lost interest is tablets aren't used at all anymore as enticements to purchaswe other products.

Maybe the expansion path was wrong. Computers spread out to homes from businesses. Maybe iPads should follow the same path but the adoption of the iPhone provided a stronghold to begin with the consumer market. And that's all the consumer market has given to date. It became apparent that mobile computing was not as widespread in consumer market as expected: iPhones were enough for consumer-level mobile computing. True mobile computing needs apparently only exist in business: pilots, truck drivers, boat captains, doctors, salesmen, plant workers... Education? Forget it, that was the trend of the 90s, you've already conquered homes, you don't need to conquer schools anymore. iPad's true growth path goes through business, and Apple is in the right direction with that: IBM, SAP, iPad Pro, Swift, iCloud...
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 38 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    radarthekat said:

I use my i.pad, with the Numbers spreadsheet, to manage my seven-figure investment portfolio,  
    Phew, good to know it's in the millions, I was really getting worried. 
  • Reply 39 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

freeper said:
    The damn things just last too long.  I'm on only my second iPad, the first being the iPad 3rd gen (I'd waited for the Retina display).  That was April 2012.  I replaced it with the Air 2 in early 2015.  I use my i.pad, with the Numbers spreadsheet, to manage my seven-figure investment portfolio, track my budget, workouts, etc.  it's been my main [large] screen since I got it; the MacBook Air has spent 95% of its life since unplugged and in the closet, used only to do my taxes each year.  

I did buy an iPad 2 for a girlfriend, and an iPad mini for another.  So there's that.  But I've had three I.phones in the same number of years, and feel I'm far behind in updating my current model (iPhone 6).  Apple needs to find a way to compel iPad upgrades.  Or juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers.  I've a feeling AR might be one dimension of the solution to the iPad problem.  
    Sorry not buying it. I know more than a few people whose iPhone 5 devices still work great. People bought the 6/6s/7/SE because they wanted new phones, not because there was something wrong with the old one. Also, no use pretending that these old iPads - a lot of them 32 bit and running very outdated SOCs - still perform like Porsches. Instead, if the reason why no one is buying new iPads because the old ones are still kicking then it is merely confirmation that they are not being used for anything but streaming, social media and casual gaming by most people. Juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers? Don't you think that Apple didn't try to do exactly that for years, to the point of creating an iPad Pro with a bigger screen and more processing power than their entry level Macs? The reason why iPads don't sell in the enterprise is that they really are limited devices. Even if you argue that they aren't - and totally ignore the differences between an iPad running iOS and a MacBook Pro running macOS in the process - while it may be possible to spend 10 hour workdays hammering away on a 9.7 inch touchscreen device, who wants to when a Windows or Mac with a much bigger screen, physical keyboard, trackpad etc. and can easily be docked to connect to an even bigger screen (or 2 or 3 screens!), better keyboard and mouse is an alternative? The best case that Apple was able to make for the iPad is your ability to leave your laptop behind and take it to meetings. But since A) laptops are nearly as mobile as tablets and B) you can also do the same with your phone especially if it is a phablet (note that iPad sales really began to fall off the cliff when the iPhone 6 Plus was introduced) that didn't justify it either. In my office lots of people use MacBooks (including more than a few who also own Android phones), lots of people have iPhones (including more than a few who use Windows PCs) but I have never seen anyone use an iPad for work other than to test an app. And I work for a tech company.
    If you think IT professionals are supposed to be using a tablet for 10 hours a day, you're thinking it wrong. 
  • Reply 40 of 51
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    gatorguy said:
    Just my personal opinion. The sales lag can be attributed more to lack of interest than "hses things just last too long". Between big phones and good  yet inexpensive laptops the $500 tablet market ens up being niche. Even more proof that Joe Average Consumer has lost interest is tablets aren't used at all anymore as enticements to purchaswe other products.

It is not a case of either "These things last long" or "lack of interest". It is a combination of both. Growth of phablets (phones with >=5.5 inches display) probably contributed more to the "lack of interest". Lack of progress in iOS (particularly the limitations) or Android (situation is worser here) didn't help the cause either. Once foldable phones are a reality, we will live in a different world. No phones, no tablets, just one device which serves both the purposes. It may be a long way out from now, or it may never happen. But if, as and when it happens, it would be the biggest innovation in smartphones.
    The reasons are not completely known to the outside world, and even Apple doesn't know all the reasons.  Some factors that would argue against "lack of interest" being primary reason for declining sales are the user satisfaction and engagement numbers.  Apple and other parties have cited these in the past, and they point to people being happy with their devices.  As to not attracting new users, while we don't know the global numbers, Apple does provide tidbits about different markets at times indicating things like new users make up more than 50% of units sold, etc.  So there are a number of data sets that point to relatively continued interest in iPads (other tablets are not necessarily the same).

Some Apple analysts/observers (not the Wall Street kind) have done some work in looking into this more deeply, and some evidence points to probably 75% of the decline has been the iPad Mini.  It was this device which drove up to the peak, and the one most impacted by the larger phones.  Tim Cook made the comment that in US last quarter, the 9.7" or higher iPad sales grew.  So perhaps the larger form factors have bottomed out.

iPads definitely need more s/w functionality to broaden the use cases where iPad is best or good enough.  That doesn't mean tacking on what a Mac already does (files/folders), but really push to solve the underlying problem (finding the documents regardless of app, or opening a document from one app in another).  Finding a proper touch way for drag and drop.  

iPad is a great single (computing) device for many (not including smartphone here) - there are many in the population who never took to traditional PC's, and found them both intimidating and unintuitive.  The elderly is one - both my mom and in-laws have iPads when they either never had traditional PCs, or never used them much.  I hear tons of similar stories.