New renders of Apple's 10.5" iPad Pro demonstrate thin bezels, microphone placement

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2017
New renders of Apple's rumored 10.5-inch iPad Pro have emerged, and are said to be "100% confirmed" and based off of the blanks reportedly provided to case manufacturers in advance of announcement.

The renders, made by Benjamin Geskin and sourced from "sources in China" are generated from and amplify case leaks supplied by the the same source on Monday. Early versions of the mock-ups omitted a home button, but reportedly "blanks" provided to select manufacturers omit that.

The renders suggest 7mm side, and 19mm top and bottom bezels. Three microphones adorn the unit, with one on the upper-center of the case, and two on the top. Quad-speaker audio is expected.

Exclusive: 10.5inch iPad Pro (The model that case manufacturers received from the factory)

100% confirmed. Already in mass production. pic.twitter.com/5S9xNTLuZl

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

Overall, the device appears to be about 10.3 inches tall, 7.1 inches wide, and 0.25 inches thick. The 12.9-inch iPad pro is 12 inches tall, 8.68 inches wide, and 0.27 inches thick, with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro coming in at 9.4 inches tall, 6.6 inches wide, and 0.24 inches thick.

There is no sign of the smart connector, but as the models provided to favored case manufacturers reportedly don't include home buttons, they likely don't include the Smart Connector either.

Apple could reveal new iPad Pros as soon as its WWDC 2017 keynote on June 5. Relatively few features have been rumored outside of faster processors, although the 10.5-inch product is expected to have thinner bezels than its predecessors.

Despite Geskin's claim of 100 percent confirmation, it remains unclear if the cases and renders represent real-world specifications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I can only assume that third-party apps fail to implement Apple's protocol (or whatever) for ignoring a user's grip on the screen. Apple's apps tend to ignore my fingers on the too-thin bezel of the Air 2, but other apps go nutso-crazy.
    ireland
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    3 microphones, he said. Two up top and one up top on the rear.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ignominiignomini Posts: 69member
    Thinner bezel. Great. More random unintended screen clicks, and constant readjusting to see the part hidden in your clothes. Thanks Apple, way to ignore reality as per usual.
    brucemcboredumbspheric
  • Reply 4 of 22
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Looks nice enough. More interested to see what features are packed in, and whether we'll see an accompanying OS update. 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    levi said:
    Looks nice enough. More interested to see what features are packed in, and whether we'll see an accompanying OS update. 
    They will launch with iOS10.xx. Apple will likely announce iOS11 at WWDC and release with the new phones around September.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Wow!  It looks like an iPad.  I'm sure glad Benjamin Geskin did all that work to create that revolutionary rendering. /s
    SpamSandwich[Deleted User]1983
  • Reply 7 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    ignomini said:
    Thinner bezel. Great. More random unintended screen clicks, and constant readjusting to see the part hidden in your clothes. Thanks Apple, way to ignore reality as per usual.
    What on earth are you talking about? Have you used the device?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ignomini said:
    Don't have to use this particular one to experience the issue. Going from iPad 3 to Air 2 was great save for the thinner bezel. (Although I have yet to experience the part where my garments prevent me from using device.)
  • Reply 9 of 22
    This is great. I've realized a couple things since these rumors come out (and I don't think I'm alone):

-I do 99.99% of my personal computing on my iPhone.
    ---At work I'm stuck with default generic dells.
    ---At home it's just more convenient to use my iPhone than bring out my MBA.
    -The experience would be dramatically improved with an iPad (based on my experience with my old iPad 3).
    -I've had decision paralysis deciding between the 9.7 and the 12.9 inch sizes.

There seems to be a great opening for another iPad, maybe a reincarnation of the iPad air, just focusing on delivering a great iOS consuming experience. For this I wouldn't need epic battery life, Pencil support, or the latest cameras (I have my phone for that). A true tone display and laminated glass would be good things though.

Looking forward to June 5th!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    ignomini said:
    Don't have to use this particular one to experience the issue. Going from iPad 3 to Air 2 was great save for the thinner bezel. (Although I have yet to experience the part where my garments prevent me from using device.)
    Amazing, I've never had these issues on my Air 2. What am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "100% confirmed"... LOL!

It's not "confirmed" until it's shipping.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I'd sell my 12.9" to get one of these. Assuming it has the same resolution as the 12.9".
  • Reply 13 of 22
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    I can only assume that third-party apps fail to implement Apple's protocol (or whatever) for ignoring a user's grip on the screen. Apple's apps tend to ignore my fingers on the too-thin bezel of the Air 2, but other apps go nutso-crazy.
    Third-party apps can opt out of split-screen capabilities, which would ignore swipes from the right, and opt out of the back navigation gesture, which would ignore swipes from the left. These are both enabled by default in Apple and third-party apps. I'm not aware of any other developer settings or best practices for avoiding unwanted touches.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Wrong question: I'd like to know what you're doing right!
    boredumbspheric
  • Reply 15 of 22

arlomedia said:
    Third-party apps can opt out of split-screen capabilities, which would ignore swipes from the right, and opt out of the back navigation gesture, which would ignore swipes from the left. These are both enabled by default in Apple and third-party apps. I'm not aware of any other developer settings or best practices for avoiding unwanted touches.
    I remember from some keynote boasting that you can grab the screen with your thumb while holding, and it will know you're not trying to interact. That feature seems to work (at least after a fashion) in Apple apps, but, say, the StL Post-Dispatch ad will attempt to highlight words, which makes the screen jump up. (And, yes, thusly, the app's copy-paste doesn't work either.)
    spheric
  • Reply 16 of 22
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    ignomini said:
    He stated quite clearly what he's talking about, nor is he the first to refer to it.
    Glad your own usage doesn't lend itself to this problem.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    ignomini said:
    Wrong question: I'd like to know what you're doing right!
    spheric
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This could be my next iPad.

At the moment the iPad range is a mess of compromises:
    • The 7.9" iPad has the best pixel density but the keyboard is far too small.
    • The 9.7" iPad is the smallest form-factor with a comfortable keyboard but a lower pixel density than the mini and a lower resolution than the 12.9".
    • the 12.9" iPad has the largest display resolution but it's not very portable.
    If the 10.5" model combines the pixel density of the mini with the resolution of the iPad Pro, in the footprint of the the 9.7 inch iPad, this could be the iPad to rule them all.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 22
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    "100% confirmed"... LOL!

It's not "confirmed" until it's shipping.

Or at least announced, in Apple's case.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ignomini said:
    I am hoping for a digital bezel. One that can be customised.

>:x