First video of 'iPhone 8' mockup hits the web

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
Building on photos of an "iPhone 8" mockup published last week, a video posted to Twitter on Tuesday appears to show an identical dummy unit in the hands of a user, offering a taste of what the next-generation handset might look like when it is released this fall.

The dummy unit seen in the short ten-second video uploaded by Benjamin Geskin appears to be in line with current rumors surrounding Apple's next-generation handset, boasting a 2.5D curved glass sandwich design, full-face display lacking a physical home button, vertical twin camera array and thicker chassis.

Interestingly, the mockup appears identical, or at least very similar to, a dummy unit shown off in a series of photos last week. That particular dummy was crafted based on schematics supposedly leaked from Apple manufacturers.

Today's supposed leak also matches a mockup shared by Geskin himself, who in April posted images of what he claimed was a "CNC model" from Foxconn. The April mockup featured two front-facing cameras, a 4-millimeter bezel and metal frame. Overall thickness was said to be identical to iPhone 7 at 7.1mm.

Exclusive: #iPhone8 Dummy Hands-On Video pic.twitter.com/1Ro6umrdpT

-- Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1)

As for the video posted today, Geskin failed to provide a source of the mockup model, nor did he explain how the non-functional unit was built. The Twitter-based leaker only recently gained notoriety, and his track record has yet to be proven or disproven by actual shipping products. In the past, Geskin claimed to have sources within Apple's Asian supply chain, as well as contacts at aftermarket case makers.

Apple is widely expected to debut "iPhone 8" this fall alongside iPhone 7 series "s" upgrades. Availability of the flagship device might be pushed to October or November due to production issues, though Apple is likely working with suppliers to meet its usual September launch time window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I doubt this will be how it looks. That chrome ring around the camera looks dated.
    napoleon_phoneaparttrashman69spice-boy
  • Reply 2 of 13
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    I doubt this will be how it looks. That chrome ring around the camera looks dated.
    Mocking the mock-up is par for the course. Nix the mocktail, pour a cocktail, pop some corn and let's get this party started! 

:smiley: 
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Mocking the mock-up is par for the course. Nix the mocktail, pour a cocktail, pop some corn and let's get this party started! 

:smiley: 

I'll stick to the mocktails. I'm a teetotaller!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Looks like a combination of original iPhone, 4, and 7. I'm down. 

• Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Perhaps it looks dated more so because this mockup looks like the silver is plastic. We can decide when iPhone 8 ships.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Don't like the silver ring around the camera bump. Reminds me of something Samsung would do.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 7 of 13
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    What's the word?  Fugly?  Yeah that's it
    how thick is that thing?  It looks thicker than my iPhone 1

• Reply 8 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Don't like the silver ring around the camera bump. Reminds me of something Samsung would do.
    No, I think you mean spontaneously catching fire on airplanes reminds you of what Samsung would do.
    1983cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 13
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    I'll be surprised if they don't offer it with the metallic parts in a gloss black so as to minimize the appearance of the metallic exterior surfaces. i'm anticipating that the backside will closely resemble the current Jet Black 7, save for the differences in the camera bump; but without as much vulnerability to scratching and scuffing from mild, normal abrasion.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    That was my first thought too. My second thought was that I hope Jony Ive is still actively involved in the design of these things. The difference between a great design and a mediocre design can depend on really small details like this. 
    1983vlscout
  • Reply 11 of 13
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Nice enough, but still looks really chunky.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    1983 said:
    Nice enough, but still looks really chunky.
    A lot of these dummy recently have clearly innacurate thinknesses way above 7 mm.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    The rounded corners are way too large.