What to expect from WWDC 2017

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2017
From next-generation versions of iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS to new hardware like a Siri home speaker and MacBook refreshes, AppleInsider details what to expect from next week's WWDC 2017 keynote.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube. We're also interested in your questions about Apple Watch. Chime in on our forums, and we'll address it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Can't wait.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm really bummed out with IOS on iPad and would love to see signs that they are becoming more open and supportive on the platform.   I look at it this way, I prefer to have my cell phone locked down hard as reliability is very important.   However that same tight control of the device is a big negative on iPad so I'd like to see Apple change its ways here.    I'm especially interested in port access that doesn't require special hardware to achieve.    The reason here is pretty simple, iPads could easily be recycled into stand alone terminals to communicate tight things like CNC controllers, automation projects or simply projects an an Arduino.

As for Mac OS well that has become my daily way to access the internet (iPad is broken and iPhone is way too slow).    So the obvious thing here is that we see Apple going in the right direction with Safari, maintaining standards compatibility and speed.   Xcode on Mac OS could use an overhaul, I'm thinking a rewrite in Swift with the hope that they kill a lot of bugs by doing so.   Oh speaking of rewrites, ITunes is a mess!
  • Reply 3 of 48
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I think we're more likely to see macOS 11 this year than macOS 10.13. That way, iOS and macOS will have the same version number going forward.
    longpathnetmage
  • Reply 4 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bonobob said:
    I think we're more likely to see macOS 11 this year than macOS 10.13. That way, iOS and macOS will have the same version number going forward.
    They’re not going to merge. 11 implies a massive structural redesign. In 2000 (or… 1999? who knows…), Steve said “Mac OS X sets us up for the next 20 years.” We’ve a little while to go before we see multitouch on the desktop.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 48
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    wizard69 said:
    I'm really bummed out with IOS on iPad and would love to see signs that they are becoming more open and supportive on the platform.   I look at it this way, I prefer to have my cell phone locked down hard as reliability is very important.   However that same tight control of the device is a big negative on iPad so I'd like to see Apple change its ways here.    I'm especially interested in port access that doesn't require special hardware to achieve.    The reason here is pretty simple, iPads could easily be recycled into stand alone terminals to communicate tight things like CNC controllers, automation projects or simply projects an an Arduino.

As for Mac OS well that has become my daily way to access the internet (iPad is broken and iPhone is way too slow).    So the obvious thing here is that we see Apple going in the right direction with Safari, maintaining standards compatibility and speed.   Xcode on Mac OS could use an overhaul, I'm thinking a rewrite in Swift with the hope that they kill a lot of bugs by doing so.   Oh speaking of rewrites, ITunes is a mess!
    They need to add mouse support to iOS on the iPad and the next step is releasing an iOSBook Laptop.   This would be designed to replace the aging MacBook Air.
    IOS doesn't need full resizable windows.   Full screen and half mode if fine for most lowend productivity (surfing the web, email, writing).   Give the laptop 4GB RAM and 128GB, 256, and 512 GB SSD options.   And of course a 360 hinge and keep the wait below 2 pounds for 12.9 inch screen.    AN iOSBook laptop would be much more familiar to all the iPhone users (in the 100's of million) who don't have a Mac but could benefit by being in the Apple ecosystem.   This is the computer to take on ChromeBooks and Windows 10S laptops.

Also Apple needs to at least announce a SIRI Speaker and demo it even if it doesn't come out till the Fall because they are still working on the hardware and software.

Unlike some I don't think that there is a rush with new laptops as there was a big update 6 months ago.

• Reply 6 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    wizard69 said:

Yep we need padOS to really allow the iPad to push the function that suits the screen size and possible interaction of macOS and padOS.
    Yep iTunes needs to die and get back to just being a music player. I think the rest of the function that has been grafted on belongs elsewhere maybe even iCloud.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    They really need to look at making the iPad do more for what it is. Which means support for multi window apps. Something like the Finder, at least for your files. The ability to connect to a USB C monitor and have the device function more like a full blown computer, with a pointer. If Apple did that then suddenly an iPad could replace most PC towers.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mattinoz said:
    wizard69 said:

Yep we need padOS to really allow the iPad to push the function that suits the screen size and possible interaction of macOS and padOS.
    Yep iTunes needs to die and get back to just being a music player. I think the rest of the function that has been grafted on belongs elsewhere maybe even iCloud.
    I'm not going to store all my videos in iCloud in manually controlled folders because iTunes only allows music to be stored and organized.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    wizard69 said:

iPad is fine. Close platform is fine. Port access is irrelevant. I'd prefer iDevices not to be fragmented further. If access to 'x' devices were required, then adapter can be used.

Mac OS is fine, Safari is fine, Swift is fine. iTunes is fine. Refinement is necessary but revamped is not.
    SoliRayz2016oakhammdpscooter63netmage
  • Reply 10 of 48
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    What To Expect From WWDC 2017?
    Answer: a shit ton of upset "journalist."
    Rayz2016StrangeDayslongpath
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    wizard69 said:

I'm not going to store all my videos in iCloud in manually controlled folders because iTunes only allows music to be stored and organized.
    Doesn't iMovie (and it's Theater) already handle making videos available between your devices?
    So maybe some parts need non-icloud solutions but that solution needs to stop getting in the way of music.  
  • Reply 12 of 48
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    wizard69 said:

Doesn't iMovie (and it's Theater) already handle making videos available between your devices?
    People have a problem with iTunes storing music, movies, and TV shows in the same app, but you want me to store my movies and TV shows in the same app that's used for editing video? :confounded: 
  • Reply 13 of 48
    JonmatJonmat Posts: 24member

They need to add mouse support to iOS on the iPad and the next step is releasing an iOSBook Laptop.   This would be designed to replace the aging MacBook Air.

This is the computer to take on ChromeBooks and Windows 10S laptops.

Look, not to come harsh but...

Face palm. Why would they take on a product (windows 10s laptops) that is predictably a failure from the start? The Microsoft one, though pretty, lacks any sense, in specs, price, and target audience. Forget students. They are just trying out what sticks, business, productivity, fans, students. It might be a surprise hit but their track record pretty much paints the picture and they aren't helping it by desperately trying to copy apple. They tried public disdain, now they try embracing apple , Linux, what have you.

As for the third party 10s laptops, Apple has been eating their lunch for a while. They are the ones trying all sort of gimmicks to compete with Apple success and can't decide where to focus, so they throw everything they can think at the consumer. Low end pcs, high end pcs, noble materials, junk plastic, windows 10, 10 s, Linux, touch laptops, reversible laptops, tablets, netbooks, god knows what else.

An iPad is clearly a better buy at this price point for a normal person. If you NEED a laptop, you NEED a capable machine and that is not a 10s. Neither version. 

Besides, 10s will probably enfuriate buyers like winRT did. Even bundled msOffice being a trial makes people feel scammed.

This 10s product is not competing with MacBook, despite the looks. Not if the buyer is well informed.

The aging MacBook Air already has a replacement. It's the MacBook 12 inch. You just have to wait till it slides down to entry level. Just like the Air did.
    edited May 2017 StrangeDayslongpathpscooter63netmage
  • Reply 14 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    iTunes is Frankenstein's monster. It needs to be stripped bare of the crud and be rebuilt with the onus on flexibility for the user. That includes drag and drop without syncing.

• Reply 15 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    iOS needs a MAJOR overhaul with the focus on usability. Apple needs to follow its own design guidelines across the whole system and focus on making things uniform. Text selection and input needs work and folder navigation would be nice.

It would be nice if iDevices belonging to the same user could be used as toolbox or pallette holders for applications on other devices. For example, if I am using Pages on an iPad I would like to have options from the app displayed on my phone screen. It would be even better if the same functionality could be built into macOS and have Mac Pages options available on an iDevice.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    wizard69 said:

People have a problem with iTunes storing music, movies, and TV shows in the same app, but you want me to store my movies and TV shows in the same app that's used for editing video? :confounded: 
    Doesn't iMovie theater work with any movie file in your movie folder even if you've never made a project of it?

Hey as long as the situation gets remarkably better then hopefully we both won't have any complaints. 
  • Reply 17 of 48
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    wizard69 said:

Doesn't iMovie theater work with any movie file in your movie folder even if you've never made a project of it?

Hey as long as the situation gets remarkably better then hopefully we both won't have any complaints. 
    Lots of video players work with my videos but I want something that keeps track of my location, shows what has been watched, allows me to see play counts, rate items, show meta data, and isn't designed first and foremost to edit video when all I want to do is play content. That's what iTunes is for. Why do you want to complicate things?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    OK, needing items for WWDC bingo.  So far I have:

New/refreshed MacBook
    New/refreshed MacBook Pro
    New iMac
    New iPad 10"
    new/refreshed iPad Pro
    macOS 10.13
    iOS 11
    Apple Music Video/TV launch
    Swift 3
    iPhone 8 (edition or whatever)
    Apple TV 4K
    iTunes 4K
    Siri speaker 
    Someone says 'courage'
    someone says 'my ass'
    someone says 'boom'

add yours and I will make up bingo cards for WWDC. :)
    edited May 2017 avon b7
  • Reply 19 of 48
    JonmatJonmat Posts: 24member
    avon b7 said:
    iOS needs a MAJOR overhaul with the focus on usability. Apple needs to follow its own design guidelines across the whole system and focus on making things uniform. Text selection and input needs work and folder navigation would be nice.

It would be nice if iDevices belonging to the same user could be used as toolbox or pallette holders for applications on other devices. For example, if I am using Pages on an iPad I would like to have options from the app displayed on my phone screen. It would be even better if the same functionality could be built into macOS and have Mac Pages options available on an iDevice.
    Hey, I'd like it as well but folder navigation is not something they didn't know how to code. It was purposely left out of the iOS experience. So it is not likely to appear any time soon and it would seem they made the right choice, given thei success and the incredible powerful things you can do with iOS devices.

iOS does not need MAJOR overhaul. It needs thoughtful, steady improvements as they've always done. MAJOR overhauls is what lesser companies try and do for a quick catch of the market's attention. Just look at car brands. You either follow your course plotted long ago and make small course corrections or keep wandering in a different direction at each try. Not a successful strategy. 

Mac apps integration with iOS has little value. Maybe you'd enjoy it but pursuing it wouldn't be a good allocation of resources. Most people wouldnt use it and it's redundant. It is why you have the touch bar in MacBook and soon in desktop form. 

edited May 2017 williamlondonoakhammdnetmage
  • Reply 20 of 48
    What To Expect From WWDC 2017?
    Answer: a shit ton of upset "journalist."
    Who were expecting the next Messiah and came away with an empty wine bottle (no water).

honestly, if you go to an event like this and expect to be blown away with the tech on show then this is clearly the wrong event for you. Perhaps a comecom or something might be appropriate.
    Maybe it is the fact that I've attended (and exhibited) tech conferences all over the planet in the last 40 years and only once did I have my mind blown away. That was a Telecoms '87 in Geneva where I saw Sony HD TV for the first time. They had a camera pointing at a Geisha doll. next to it was a monitor where you could see the doll. You could compare the TV picture and the real thing side by side.
    The remainder of them where very much 'Meh' events when it came to the tech. Some of the plenary sessions are good though.

lkruppdoozydozen