2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    Where do I get "robotics kids"?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Soli said:
    Someone has discovered a placeholder for a new "Files" app for iOS. Looks like they're finally getting serious about file transfers and possibly a macOS-style file structure:

I'm pretty sure there it will not be like Finder or Terminal's access to the file system. It's more likely to work with new APIs and work just like iCloud Drive since it was introduced, but expanded to be localized and work with 3rd-party apps. If you see access to the root of the iPhone with /System, /Library or /Applications, or the countless hidden folder and files I'll be shocked.
    Yeah, it will probably work like other file apps that have the same sandbox restrictions as normal apps:

These apps can only access their own app storage, Photos, iTunes Sync data and remote storage drives, nothing system-level.

I would have preferred it was a system component than an app because an app means having to access files via the share system when you are in another app, maybe they'll have some open/save functionality via split-screen. It also means that when files are contained in a files app, deleting the app takes the files with it. On the Mac, you could delete the Finder and it would leave the files alone. An app makes it easier to manage and access NAS/server drives though as well as those portable battery-powered wifi drives, possibly wifi camera filesystems too in order to grab a photo/video file from a DSLR.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    fearless said:
    "Full 4K is 3840 pixels wide, by 2160 pixels tall"

No it's not. Full 4K is 4096 wide. This is UHD, 4 x HD - the TV version that's "not quite 4K". By all means call it 4K if you want, but FULL 4K it ain't.
    The point remains. Even at the lower "not quite 4K," it would still be the highest resolution of any iOS device.

But, point taken.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Soli said:

2) I don't care if iOS supports a trackpad, but making it into an "iOSbook laptop" seems like the wrong way to go.
    I used to feel this way, but less and less so. I am a huge user of the iPad 12.9", and every time I get back on my my MBP, I find my fingers instinctively reaching to touch the screen, especially to scroll.

At this point, I would love for Apple to produce a 2-in-1. The "refrigerator-toaster oven" comment from Cook notwithstanding, it's time for Apple to move on, and move in the direction of a device that combines touch as well as mouse/type. 
    Oye, oye.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Marvin said:
    Soli said:
    Someone has discovered a placeholder for a new "Files" app for iOS. Looks like they're finally getting serious about file transfers and possibly a macOS-style file structure:

I'm pretty sure there it will not be like Finder or Terminal's access to the file system. It's more likely to work with new APIs and work just like iCloud Drive since it was introduced, but expanded to be localized and work with 3rd-party apps. If you see access to the root of the iPhone with /System, /Library or /Applications, or the countless hidden folder and files I'll be shocked.
    Yeah, it will probably work like other file apps that have the same sandbox restrictions as normal apps:

These apps can only access their own app storage, Photos, iTunes Sync data and remote storage drives, nothing system-level.

I would have preferred it was a system component than an app because an app means having to access files via the share system when you are in another app, maybe they'll have some open/save functionality via split-screen. It also means that when files are contained in a files app, deleting the app takes the files with it. On the Mac, you could delete the Finder and it would leave the files alone. An app makes it easier to manage and access NAS/server drives though as well as those portable battery-powered wifi drives, possibly wifi camera filesystems too in order to grab a photo/video file from a DSLR.
    Who's to say app restrictions will stay that way once the new file system is deployed?
    i mean they build multi key encryption and the like into the new file service why do that if you don't want to be able to open files up to different processes in a secure way that allows revocable permissions.

the optimist in me says the new file service is the missing piece to some interesting updates tomorrow.

Anyway stores down for updates so new hardware more likely now. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 33
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I'm hoping for some great new features/announcements in tvOS 11. Multiple user support, Netflix support in TV app, Amazon Prime Video, more cable providers supporting single sign-on, and the ability to do Picture in Picture mode. Would be great to be able to continue watching a video in one app while I browse another 
  • Reply 27 of 33
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    fearless said:
    "Full 4K is 3840 pixels wide, by 2160 pixels tall"

No it's not. Full 4K is 4096 wide. This is UHD, 4 x HD - the TV version that's "not quite 4K". By all means call it 4K if you want, but FULL 4K it ain't.
    Full 4K is probably more accurately described as DCI 4K. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
  • Reply 28 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    Apple needs to make iOS and tvOS support multiple users.  Apple should ad mouse or Trackpad support to the iPadPro and also come out with an convertible iOSbook laptop.   This should be the replacement for the MacbookAir.

Hopefully Apple will now release a Siri that finally works.  Why would a third party developer work on Siri extensions when it a joke that doesn't work 😂 90% of the time.
    1) I'd love for Apple to support multiple users on tvOS and a Siri Home device.

2) I don't care if iOS supports a trackpad, but making it into an "iOSbook laptop" seems like the wrong way to go. Instead, I'd rather see macOS running on an ARM-based notebook that outperforms the 12" MacBook and would use the MacBook Air name.
    If developing the Touchbar took 3 to 4 years, then making a full screen touch based MAC would probably take much longer than adding mouse or touch bar support to iOS.
    Yes a iOSBook should use the A series processors.   I'm sure the A10 is probably as powerful as the Core M3 in the MacBook (or pretty damn close).    IOS also has a better eco system.   I'm sure eventually macOS will be a superset of iOS eventually but definately think apple is loosing an opportunity to have lots of users come over from ChromeBooks and Windows 10 Home.   Microsoft is definately taking aim at the iPadPro with the new Surface Pro and Surface Pen.   The iPadPro needs to be more than an artist tool.
    Apple has made it pretty clear that they don't see MacBooks going to touch screens.
    But, IPads evolving and expanding to include notebook features is fair game -- and they slowly creep in that direction step by step... (much to the chagrin and panic of MacBook fans).
  • Reply 29 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    Apple needs to make iOS and tvOS support multiple users.  Apple should ad mouse or Trackpad support to the iPadPro and also come out with an convertible iOSbook laptop.   This should be the replacement for the MacbookAir.

Hopefully Apple will now release a Siri that finally works.  Why would a third party developer work on Siri extensions when it a joke that doesn't work 😂 90% of the time.

2) I don't care if iOS supports a trackpad, but making it into an "iOSbook laptop" seems like the wrong way to go. Instead, I'd rather see macOS running on an ARM-based notebook that outperforms the 12" MacBook and would use the MacBook Air name.
    If developing the Touchbar took 3 to 4 years, then making a full screen touch based MAC would probably take much longer than adding mouse or touch bar support to iOS.
    Yes a iOSBook should use the A series processors.   I'm sure the A10 is probably as powerful as the Core M3 in the MacBook (or pretty damn close).    IOS also has a better eco system.   I'm sure eventually macOS will be a superset of iOS eventually but definately think apple is loosing an opportunity to have lots of users come over from ChromeBooks and Windows 10 Home.   Microsoft is definately taking aim at the iPadPro with the new Surface Pro and Surface Pen.   The iPadPro needs to be more than an artist tool.
    Apple has made it pretty clear that they don't see MacBooks going to touch screens.
    But, IPads evolving and expanding to include notebook features is fair game -- and they slowly creep in that direction step by step... (much to the chagrin and panic of MacBook fans).
    You keep saying that, but I don't know who you're talking about. Can you cite anyone who is panicked about iPads getting more powerful?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    supadav03 said:
    I'm hoping for some great new features/announcements in tvOS 11. Multiple user support, Netflix support in TV app, Amazon Prime Video, more cable providers supporting single sign-on, and the ability to do Picture in Picture mode. Would be great to be able to continue watching a video in one app while I browse another 
    I think the only scenario where we see new AppleTV announced/released is if we see a big tvOS apps push this WWDC.  A Siri Speaker with an A8 or better only needs HDMI support to be a credible aTV...especially if the "virtual surround sound" is better than what your average TV will do.  

As such I would prefer the UE Boom pill form factor over a taller cylinder since it looks more wall mountable.

Granted on a one of my TVs I have a full fledged HT setup but there's a couple TVs that just have an aTV attached without even a sound bar.

As far as Siri Speaker goes...I'd MUCH rather have a less expensive speaker + wifi device that can use either an iPhone or aTV to handle Siri requests as well as play music.  Then there's no real need for a screen either...both of those devices have screens and can handle playlist management, accounts, etc.

• Reply 31 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:

You keep saying that, but I don't know who you're talking about. Can you cite anyone who is panicked about iPads getting more powerful?
    IPads already are powerful and nobody complains about them becoming even more so.   But panic seems to set in everytime the topic of additional functionality being added (mostly a file system and cursor) that would enable them to compete with MacBooks, Chromebooks and Surface is brought up.   It's the dreaded "Hybrid" or "2in1".
  • Reply 32 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Not gonna happen: iMac"

reading this post-WWDC.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    lkrupp said:
    mattinoz said:
    No Macs? Time for a coup d'etat! Bring back Kawasaki to run the show.
    New overhauled iMac as first hardware event at Steve Jobs Theatre which must be ready soon.
    That would show commitment to the platform.
    Get this through your thick skulls. Apple no longer sees itself as a desktop computer manufacturer. Desktops are now a legacy hobby.
    Post WWDC LLOL