Apple refining macOS 10.12 Sierra in new High Sierra 10.13 revision

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Minor question: does anyone know if the Messages app on High Sierra will be fully implementing all of the niceties that iOS iMessages has (effects, stickers, etc)?
    imergingenious
  • Reply 22 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Minor question: does anyone know if the Messages app on High Sierra will be fully implementing all of the niceties that iOS iMessages has (effects, stickers, etc)?
    I haven't seen any of those Message features that came to iOS 10 show up on macOS Sierra, and I don't see it now with High Sierra.
    mike eggleston
  • Reply 23 of 31
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    'High Sierra' sounds very similar to 'Hey Siri'. On purpose, surely?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    DoodpantsDoodpants Posts: 49member
    Snow Leopard brazenly boasted "Zero new features!" It was something unprecedented: a major OS release that focused exclusively on cleanup and bug fixes. Apple has never done such a thing since then. Despite the similarity in naming, Mountain Lion was not exclusively a bug fix/cleanup release, and neither is High Sierra. The new features listed in this very article prove that.

To be clear: I'm not complaining about the name, I'm just saying don't let the name fool you. There has, so far, never been a repeat of the Snow Leopard strategy.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 25 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    eightzero said:
    Great it runs on all Sierra compatible macs.
    I hope that means it also runs on all Sierra-hackable Macs.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    eightzero said:
    Great it runs on all Sierra compatible macs.
    I hope that means it also runs on all Sierra-hackable Macs.
    That remains to be seen. Probably the MacPro 4,1 with an upgraded video card. Not sure about the rest. Depends on what they've done with Metal 2, I think.
    edited June 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Doodpants said:
    Snow Leopard brazenly boasted "Zero new features!" It was something unprecedented: a major OS release that focused exclusively on cleanup and bug fixes. Apple has never done such a thing since then. Despite the similarity in naming, Mountain Lion was not exclusively a bug fix/cleanup release, and neither is High Sierra. The new features listed in this very article prove that.

To be clear: I'm not complaining about the name, I'm just saying don't let the name fool you. There has, so far, never been a repeat of the Snow Leopard strategy.
    1) Let's be clear that Snow Leopard came with a bunch of new features, even if it was mostly aimed at cleaning up the code. If you want to get technical, then Apple did lie, but by comparison to a normal release Snow Leopard was virtually feature free, and very few—if any—of those user-facing features were going to make the average customer say "Ooh! Ahhh! I have to try that out right away."

2) Keep in mind that Snow Leopard (2009) was the last macOS version that went years between release cycles. With Lion's launch (2011), we started seeing annual updates that offered a smaller number of features and core changes that were more manageable. Mountain Lion arrived in 2012. In part, this was surely because of iOS' annual release and the move to share as much common code as possible between OSes, but in that time frame we moved to a Mac App Store and dropped the optical disc and short-lived USB flash drive versions of macOS upgrades. It also dropped in price and eventually became free for Macs that support the HW (which was something I had argued for as a benefit for Apple and their Mac user base, and was told would never happened by people on this forum LOL).

PS: Ever since Apple decided to move to an annual upgrade cycle running betas of macOS have been considerably more bug free and problematic than in years past.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 28 of 31
    eightzero said:
    Cool. Great it runs on all Sierra compatible macs. I like the price.

But does this mean I can run YouTube videos on Safari now? I'm tired of having to cut/paste links into Chrome.
    Safari can run YouTube. If you're having trouble with it, I suggest you bring it in to an Apple Store.
  • Reply 29 of 31

dwalla said:
    No mention of updating OpenGL support to latest iterations. Nor no mention of Vulcan support. Metal is awesome, but game developers don't want to write for multiple graphics API's. 
    Unity and Unreal engines are getting Metal 2 support if I recall correctly.  Publishers that port PC titles using those tools should automatically get the benefit. OpenGL shouldn't be encouraged since it's so bad, but they should open source Metal APIs.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    I know they said it was under the hood focused, but I can't believe they didn't update messages and notes to keep parity with the iOS versions. Also, maps app really needs features. It should be competing with google earth and they should be developing a pro GIS app off of that framework. ESRI has been a monopoly for too long and has become extremely complacent. Apple has the ability to upend that whole industry if they made it a goal.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    KreelaKreela Posts: 1member
    I have already used CCC on High Sierra.  Carbon Copy worked as usual, but it failed to clone my customer's failing hard drive.  Frankly, I was more disappointed in CCC's update than High Sierra.  CCC used to work fine with bad sectors; now it stutters and fails.  I found Disk Drill successful for creating an image of the drive. 

High Sierra does seem to copy files faster between two usb-connected drives.  However, I have not bench-tested the speed.  

As for Safari, I am going to have to test video auto-play.  That was vexing me A LOT, and I installed Firefox just to avoid video autoplay and trackers.  This is a welcome change for Safari.