CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3 dock with eSATA, dual-4K display support starts shipping

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MacPro said:
    I have a related question.... not owning a TB3 /USB-C capable Mac yet I was looking up TB2/TB3 adapters.  To my surprise Apple sell a cable they claim to be bi-directional, I also read that TB2 to TB3 isn't as bad as it might seem on paper.  However I am left baffled a wee bit as reverse adapters in my days in the field hit the male - female issues.  Do I take it these things are bi-directional and have gender neutral ports and plus these days?  Anyone tried TB3 peripheral on a TB2 with this adapter?
    Yes. I have a TB3 RAID case on a 2012 Mac mini using the adapter all day, every day, and I've used it to test TB3 eGPUs on TB2 systems.

The adapter is male USB-C and female Thunderbolt 2. Universally, plug the USB-C end into the Thunderbolt 3 device, and span the gap with a (cheaper!) Thunderbolt 2 cable.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 22 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    MacPro said:
    I have a related question.... not owning a TB3 /USB-C capable Mac yet I was looking up TB2/TB3 adapters.  To my surprise Apple sell a cable they claim to be bi-directional, I also read that TB2 to TB3 isn't as bad as it might seem on paper.  However I am left baffled a wee bit as reverse adapters in my days in the field hit the male - female issues.  Do I take it these things are bi-directional and have gender neutral ports and plus these days?  Anyone tried TB3 peripheral on a TB2 with this adapter?
    Yes. I have a TB3 RAID case on a 2012 Mac mini using the adapter all day, every day, and I've used it to test TB3 eGPUs on TB2 systems.

The adapter is male USB-C and female Thunderbolt 2. Universally, plug the USB-C end into the Thunderbolt 3 device, and span the gap with a (cheaper!) Thunderbolt 2 cable.
    Awesome Mike!  Thank you so much.  The gender changer solution is also a relief to know.  What are your speed results with this?  I have read a 20% drop from the full potential of USB-c is all that is seen, hard to believe although I'd love to. What about a new 4 and 5K Mac monitors intended for the new MBPs via USB-c, can a Mac Pro 2013 with TB2 drive one?