Teardown, testing discover Apple made 2017 iMacs easier for users to upgrade

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    elijahg said:
    Great to see Apple's not soldering quite so much, maybe frequent bad RAM chips requiring a logic board swap were getting expensive. Those that claimed it was "necessary" for reliability or thinness will have to eat their words!
    Whatever the reasons, added repairability is a good thing. Good for users and good for Apple. If this marks a trend or a change in approach it would be even better. 

The next step would be to make things more accessible to cut down on repair complexity and turnaround times.

Wishful thinking for some to eat their words. It won't happen. Glad this machine comes with a nice selection of legacy ports though ;-) and they managed to bolt on some of those fancy ports from the future! 

It's almost as if the gremlins got into Apple while Jony Ive was designing his Christmas tree and the result is a transitional machine that is a half decent upgrade to the iMac.

I read an article on a recent supreme court verdict on repairability (I think) by someone from iFixit and on the lobbying being carried out by Apple and others. 

I'm not sure if Apple is weighing up its future options with regards to repairability or not. Everything seems to point to them continuing their stance of the last few years but it is purely an executive stance. It could change at any moment and legislation will have a major influence here.

EDIT: Link to above mentioned article

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/impression-v-lexmark/

edited June 2017 elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    fallenjt said:
    However, the machine with this power wouldn't require any upgrade for ....3-4 years. I seriously rather spend $200 for more RAM when I ordered it than just do it myself to save...like $50, No way.
    Might depend on how much of an upgrade you wanted. 
    They come with only 8GB, so even to go to 16GB through Apple is about $110 difference from buying it at, say, Crucial.
    But if you wanted to go all the way to 64GB, the difference between Apple's own upgrade
    and buying 64GB seems to be over $750 (if I'm reading it right)...
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 33
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    elijahg said:
    Great to see Apple's not soldering quite so much, maybe frequent bad RAM chips requiring a logic board swap were getting expensive. Those that claimed it was "necessary" for reliability or thinness will have to eat their words!
    Not sure about reliability, but soldering does require less space, unlike fasteners/harnesses/other stuff that is needed to securely connect a removable memory stick to the MB.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    appex said:
    Apple should use standard ports and components, not soldered. And why is the very same make and model of RAM purchased from Apple Store two to three times more expensive than in retailers like Amazon?
    Standard ports -- you mean like the USBC ports so many critics are whining about on the MBP?

Im all for the soldered components on my portable devices, as it makes them smaller, lighter, and more power efficient. Have you ever changed the ram on your smartphone?
    randominternetpersonpscooter63anome
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gatorguy said:
    tundraboy said:
    Can a Horizon Machine be used to unlock and/or activate a stolen iPhone?
    Wrong thread. But FWIW a Horizon machine can be used to make a repaired iPhone recognize a new fingerprint sensor. I imagine Apple has other systems in place to help prevent activation of stolen phones. 

It's not the wrong thread because the author of the article shoehorned a paragraph about the Horizon Machine into this article.  Frankly, that's a pet peeve of mine about AI articles in general (the tendency to glom on semi-related stuff into every article, annoying those of us who read every article and don't need the redundancy).
    In one day, we've had criticism that we include the info, and that we don't include enough.

We're going to keep doing it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 33

Marco_N said:
    Any chance these new iMacs will support Target Display Mode? Did that change make it into High Sierra?
    Despite some reports to the contrary, it appears that they do not -- according to Apple support. 

However, when we get our review units, we'll check.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 27 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    lkrupp said:
    How about everybody just accept the FACT that Macs are not made to be upgraded. Claiming the changes made make them upgradeable is nonsense. These are not machines you just pop the top off of and yank out components with ease. I’m tired of listening to the bullshit put out by those who want to go back to the days of beige boxes with lids and slots on them. if you’re a hobbyist then go to MicroCenter and buy parts to your heart’s content. The new iMacs are NOT user upgradeable except for memory in the 27” models. 
    I upgraded the memory and hard drive (to SSD) on my 2009 27" iMac many years ago and I agree with you in general.  It's nice to see Apple allowing RAM to be upgradeable in models that previously were not, but lets emphasize one thing.. unless you have lots of patience and very steady hands, attempting to crack-open an iMac is NOT for the faint of heart.  It is very, very easy damage delicate components, especially those microscopic/delicate ribbon cables going to the display.  Damn nerve-racking actually.

The reality I opened it up once, and never again.  For some strange reason Apple charges a kings ransom for RAM and SSD drives so I can understand the inclination for people to want to crack open their iMacs but I caution that many will risk damaging their systems more and then complaining to Apple after-the-fact.

I hope Apple gets realistic with their pricing because I'd rather max out the unit at purchase than try saving a few bucks after the fact and risk voiding my warranty.  The reality for most is that their iMac will never be upgraded after the purchase.  That's why Apple has simplified their machines by not including all the unnecessary engineering to all easy disassembly and component access for something most will never do.

Note:  I do know that upgrading RAM on 27" iMacs will not void the warranty.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 28 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    tundraboy said:
    Can a Horizon Machine be used to unlock and/or activate a stolen iPhone?
    Wrong thread. But FWIW a Horizon machine can be used to make a repaired iPhone recognize a new fingerprint sensor. I imagine Apple has other systems in place to help prevent activation of stolen phones. 

It's not the wrong thread because the author of the article shoehorned a paragraph about the Horizon Machine into this article.  Frankly, that's a pet peeve of mine about AI articles in general (the tendency to glom on semi-related stuff into every article, annoying those of us who read every article and don't need the redundancy).
    In one day, we've had criticism that we include the info, and that we don't include enough.

We're going to keep doing it.

I get it and in general that makes sense.  But, seriously, what did this paragraph have to do with the upgradeability of the new iMacs?

On June 7, Apple reportedly launched an initiative to provide the "Horizon Machine," a tool for calibrating iPhone displays and Touch ID, in up to 400 third-party repair shops in 25 countries by the end of the year. The machines, which is used to synchronize the Touch ID sensor with the motherboard and the Secure Enclave, is said by Apple senior director of service operations Brian Naumann to potentially reduce the retail store queues for repair, by allowing the processes to be carried out via authorized third-party repair centers.

• Reply 29 of 33

Marco_N said:
    Any chance these new iMacs will support Target Display Mode? Did that change make it into High Sierra?
    Despite some reports to the contrary, it appears that they do not -- according to Apple support. 

I thought every Mac for the last 15+ years offered that.  When did Macs stop including that feature?
  • Reply 30 of 33

Marco_N said:

I thought every Mac for the last 15+ years offered that.  When did Macs stop including that feature?
    Target DISPLAY Mode started with the 2009 27-inch iMac, and stopped with the 2014. 

Target DISK Mode is a different matter. Still exists, and has for a very long time.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    boredumb said:
    fallenjt said:
    However, the machine with this power wouldn't require any upgrade for ....3-4 years. I seriously rather spend $200 for more RAM when I ordered it than just do it myself to save...like $50, No way.
    Might depend on how much of an upgrade you wanted. 
    They come with only 8GB, so even to go to 16GB through Apple is about $110 difference from buying it at, say, Crucial.
    But if you wanted to go all the way to 64GB, the difference between Apple's own upgrade
    and buying 64GB seems to be over $750 (if I'm reading it right)...
    The RAM pricing is silly but I guess they want to upsell the 27" with it's little door.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    lkrupp said:
    How about everybody just accept the FACT that Macs are not made to be upgraded. Claiming the changes made make them upgradeable is nonsense. These are not machines you just pop the top off of and yank out components with ease. I’m tired of listening to the bullshit put out by those who want to go back to the days of beige boxes with lids and slots on them. if you’re a hobbyist then go to MicroCenter and buy parts to your heart’s content. The new iMacs are NOT user upgradeable except for memory in the 27” models. 
    Gotta love people getting bent about users who would dare to expect to make simple upgrades like adding RAM or replacing an internal drive.  The nerve!

Ever consider there's a middle ground between soldering everything in sight and beige boxes you can build on your own?  RAM upgrades and swapping out a hard drive isn't pro-level tinkering.  
    avon b7elijahg
  • Reply 33 of 33
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member

fallenjt said:
    elijahg said:
    Well, to go from 8GB to 16GB, you'd save more like $75 doing it yourself.  But also, you have to realize some people are saving and maybe even stretching themselves a bit to get a Mac in the first place.  Another $200 matters to them and they can't afford it at the time of purchase.  But knowing they could wait a bit and save some money for an upgrade that might cost them only $100-125 is not insignificant to them.  Even if it didn't save them any money, just knowing they wouldn't have to plunk that extra cash down upfront is meaningful.

Some folks want quality but they can't just buy the system spec'd out to the max like they'd want all at once.  Being upgradeable down the road is important to them.
    elijahg