Inside iOS 11: With 'antennagate' a distant memory, Apple switches back to signal bars

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    ajbecker8 said:
    I know this is slightly off-topic, anyone here can explain why my iphone (AT&T service) gets ok connectivity (kinda works) when it shows 1 dot for LTE, but if it shows 5 dots for 4G its practically useless?
    Yes! If I fall back on 4G with full dots takes forever to call out if at all. Sometimes I'll turn on airplane mode and turn it off it will go to LTE then as soon as I make a call it will be 4G again. It's annoying . Luckily doesn't happen too much. 
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Holo20Holo20 Posts: 1member
    maltz said:

Unfortunate side-effect of iOS 11

Previous testing that we've done on LTE strength has relied on Field Test mode for precise measurements. In iOS 11, the ability to force the signal strength meter to a numerical rating appears to be gone, complicating analysis.
    Wait, so now you can't get a numeric dBm AT ALL?!?  FFS Apple, how far will you go out of your way to remove obscure "features" that some people use that are already so far buried that it's not confusing anyone who doesn't already know how to use it?  I much prefer the dBm reading over some inconsistent (from phone to phone) and imprecise bars.
    First of all, +1 for user name.

Second, its possible they just changed the entry code for the test mode. We're working on it.
    Mike, any more insight into this?  The ability to force the persistent display of the actual dB reading, instead of dots, was a huge plus for me. I know it's probably not a big deal to most folks, but this alone would keep me away from iOS 11 as long as possible.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about--

jacko613
    dB.png 82.7K
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Holo20 said:
    maltz said:

Previous testing that we've done on LTE strength has relied on Field Test mode for precise measurements. In iOS 11, the ability to force the signal strength meter to a numerical rating appears to be gone, complicating analysis.
    Wait, so now you can't get a numeric dBm AT ALL?!?  FFS Apple, how far will you go out of your way to remove obscure "features" that some people use that are already so far buried that it's not confusing anyone who doesn't already know how to use it?  I much prefer the dBm reading over some inconsistent (from phone to phone) and imprecise bars.

Second, its possible they just changed the entry code for the test mode. We're working on it.
    Mike, any more insight into this?  The ability to force the persistent display of the actual dB reading, instead of dots, was a huge plus for me. I know it's probably not a big deal to most folks, but this alone would keep me away from iOS 11 as long as possible.

Last I checked, it still wasn't restored.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Holo20 said:
    maltz said:

PLEASE let us know when there’s a fix! I miss it so much already! It adds to my growing list of things I don’t like about iOS 11, like the large titles on every built in app, the keypad on the phone, and just everything!!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    jacko613 said:
    Holo20 said:
    maltz said:

PLEASE let us know when there’s a fix! I miss it so much already! It adds to my growing list of things I don’t like about iOS 11, like the large titles on every built in app, the keypad on the phone, and just everything!!
    If you already don't like everything, how does this one thing change anything?
    edited September 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I updated my iPhone 6 yesterday and was disappointed to see that the RSSI signal strength option is not available. Removing the RSSI option from iOS 11 is a mistake and should be restored. The RSSI option allows users to troubleshoot reception problems where generic bars are useless. I hope that when the next patch is released, this removed feature is restored.