2017 4K, 5K iMacs won't support Target Display Mode, despite Thunderbolt 3

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    This is really too bad. I have a 2011 iMac as my personal computer that I also use as my monitor for my MBP work laptop because I work from home. I was literally about to hit "buy now" on a brand new ~$3k iMac under the assumption that TDM was still a feature. I'm glad I checked before buying (no longer going to buy it) but am sad that it's no longer an offering. I have used it for >

I don't have room for an additional monitor and love the functionality. I guess I'm going to be buying a Mini or a cheaper MB and find a high quality monitor that is easy to shift from A->B.

I do understand/agree with the folks here who don't use it or see the utility. But that is sorta the point of the Mac where throughout the hardware/software it has thoughtful features that REALLY matter to a few. It's the sum of those things that make it a different company.

Oh well, time to go monitor shopping...
    goldsteind
  • Reply 62 of 64
    Ray The Video GuyRay The Video Guy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I'be used a 2009 iMac as a second display for my 2013 iMac for ages, it's FANTASTIC. Just bought a Mac Pro.... and now I can't do that, despite the 'expert' at the Apple store telling me I can.... and selling me the $50 cable I needed to do it
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    I'be used a 2009 iMac as a second display for my 2013 iMac for ages, it's FANTASTIC. Just bought a Mac Pro.... and now I can't do that, despite the 'expert' at the Apple store telling me I can.... and selling me the $50 cable I needed to do it
    You still should be able to with the 2009 and the Mac Pro -- assuming you're talking about the coke can and not a MacBook Pro. It hasn't been retroactively removed from older gear.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 64 of 64
    Hey
    There where a lot of comments to skim thru, so this question might have been answered in here, not sure.

My Imac 2017/2018 is on its way after my older one 2014 broke down and they decided to replace the imac completely, thumbs up for apple on that one.
    I have a late 2009 modell that im using while I wait for the other to arrive, but I gather that I should be able to use the 2009 modell as a secondary display with the new 2017
    But im a bit confused on cables / adapaters needed --- 2009 is mini display / oldest thunderport --- 2017 is the new usb3/thunderbolt ?
    I doubt there is a cable with mini display to the new usb3thunderbolt connection, so here the adapters come in play -- but not sure how and which and why !! :)
    If you know or can scribble down a quick and easy to understand schematics here, I would be a happy man for sure.

thx
    ( I do not ENDORSE or am affiliated with any one or anything and i do not recoomend you to buy these items !! its only to get the connectivity correct ! )

Edit : I might have found it if my brain works correctly.
    If I use a mini display port Male to mini display port Male cable from the 2009 to a Thunderbolt 3 / usb to a Thundebolt 2 female adapter It should be connected the right way

Here is an example of the adapter

Am I right or am I right ?

edited September 2018