Samsung to launch Galaxy Note 8 in August, ahead of Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung will hold a New York City launch event for the Galaxy Note 8 in the second half of August, about a month ahead of the announcement of Apple's new iPhones, according to one report.

The Galaxy S8+, from which the Note 8 will likely borrow many cues.
The Galaxy S8+, from which the Note 8 will likely borrow many cues.

The Note 8 will feature a curved screen slightly bigger than the 6.2-inch Galaxy S8+, a source informed Reuters. It should also have twin cameras on the rear, likely owing to the success of the iPhone 7 Plus. The latter uses its second lens for 2x optical zoom, as well as simulating depth-of-field effects in Portrait mode.

Much is riding on the Note 8, since its predecessor -- the Note 7 -- was taken off the market just two months after its own August debut, plagued by a series of battery fires. Samsung eventually concluded that two separate problems were to blame, and instituted a new testing regime to avoid a repeat. The debacle cost the company some $5.4 billion.

The S8 line, released after the Note 7, has sold well so far and gone without any reported battery fires.

Apple is expected to reveal three new iPhones in September: the 7s, the 7s Plus, and finally the so-called "iPhone 8." Because of production delays, the "8" may not hit shelves until October or even later.

Like the standard S8, the "iPhone 8" is expected to use an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, support wireless charging, and ditch a physical home button in favor of a virtual one. The iPhone's screen won't wrap around the edges though, and should embed Touch ID, avoiding the need for a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.

Some other "iPhone 8" features may include 3D facial recognition and iris scanning, a new "A11" processor, and quicker cable-based charging. The 7s and 7s Plus should share some of these upgrades, but use LCDs instead of OLED.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Meh.

Two different worlds, and ne'er the twain shall meet...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Is this Apple news ? if not, don't care.
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Will they ever learn that being first doesn't really help their cause at all?
    anton zuykovgilly33jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 38
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I wonder if the audience at the event will be required to wear flame resistant clothing? 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 38
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Uh, Samsung typically launches the Galaxy Note devices in August, and there isn't much riding on it if last years debacle is any indication. They sell about 5 to 10 million units per year I think. That's out of about 300m total Samsung phone units per year. Samsung's biggest problem is the inexorable downward trend in ASPs and a mature phone market.

If their are quality control problems again, that could be a problem, yes, but that is true of any of its device lines. If there were QC problems with the Galaxy [alphabet letter here] series phone? It would negatively affect the brand and may decrease sales. If they continue to have QC problems, the brand will eventually fall off a cliff, and thats when the real sales trouble starts.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Yawn.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Meh.

Two different worlds, and ne'er the twain shall meet...
    Agreed, iPhones and Samsung Notes are two different worlds, right now. But you never know. All it takes is for Apple to add Pencil support for a "Pro" version, for them to meet.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Good to hear Samsung hasn't canceled their annual end-of-summer BBQ.  
    rotateleftbytepatchythepiratemagman1979boltsfan17watto_cobrabrucemcjony0
  • Reply 9 of 38
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    Sammy and their PR team are lame opportunists who go for the immediate impact of a new release always timed a month prior to one by Apple. I'd like to see the look on their faces (actually I wouldn't) when that month's pre-orders for Sammy's latest is outstripped by Apple's pre-orders in the first weekend!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    They pretty much have to announce it before. The biggest new innovation coming to smartphones is having an edge-to-edge screen AND and under-the-screen fingerprint sensor.

If they announce it after the iPhone, and the iPhone has an under-the-screen fingerprint sensor, then they'll look bad for missing an important new feature.

If they launch early and it's missing that feature they can always claim their next phone will have it.
    watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 11 of 38
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    mike1 said:
    Will they ever learn that being first doesn't really help their cause at all?
    Didn't you hear that if you failed once, try one more time. Sammy lives by that motto (and might die by it too, if they keep doing that stuff). Lol.
    edited June 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    It is going to be "da bomb"... what to soon?... played out?. Not  applicable ? Lol
    anton zuykovmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Good to hear Samsung hasn't canceled their annual end-of-summer BBQ.  

Where the phones themselves provide the heat!... /rimshot.
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Samsung must be a very efficient company to constantly produce new products far faster than what Apple can do. They must use a dozen smartphone teams compared to one Apple iPhone team. After all, Samsung produces dozens of models of smartphones like Nokia used to be able to do with cellphones. I'd really like to see the inner workings of Samsung's smartphone division. I'm guessing that S. Korea must produce some very smart engineering students in high quantities and maybe Samsung selects only the very best of those students to work there. I'm just curious to find out what it takes to produce the best smartphones money can buy. Individuals or management or just the proper mix of the two? Is Apple really doomed without Steve Jobs making the product decisions?

The only problem with producing so many smartphones is it sort of dilutes sales despite the extra R&D and tooling costs. Consumers might have a hard time deciding between a S8 and a Note 8 so one of them is bound to lose out.  There's also going to be the rugged S8 Active to choose from, too.  It's just so strange Apple seems to struggle building one new iPhone while Samsung just breezes along spitting out multiple model variations.  That seems like it would cause an awful lot of extra tooling and time spent.  What's even stranger is you never hear about Samsung smartphones being delayed but iPhones are always reported as having some sort of delays for one reason after another.  Why does only Apple have that problem and Samsung doesn't?  I just can't figure that out.  Fake news, possibly?
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 15 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Boom!
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 16 of 38
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Probably the best device coming from the Android camp. I know folks who couldn't live without their little stylus phones.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The event is gonna be a blast.

i wonder if they'll make it sexist or creepy. 
    anomemagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
     After all, Samsung produces dozens of models of smartphones like Nokia used to be able to do with cellphones.

It's just so strange Apple seems to struggle building one new iPhone while Samsung just breezes along spitting out multiple model variations. 

Samsung actually releases about 100+ models every year, not dozens. And I don't see at it as a Positive at all. It is silly and ridiculous to make so many variants of same model and so many phones which look AND have similar specs.

Where did you get the idea that Apple seems to struggle building 2 or 3 new iPhones in a year - Rumors? And you actually believe in them? This is ONE aspect (sticking to very few models) I wish Samsung actually copies from Apple.

watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 19 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Samsung must be a very efficient company to constantly produce new products far faster than what Apple can do. They must use a dozen smartphone teams compared to one Apple iPhone team. After all, Samsung produces dozens of models of smartphones like Nokia used to be able to do with cellphones. I'd really like to see the inner workings of Samsung's smartphone division. I'm guessing that S. Korea must produce some very smart engineering students in high quantities and maybe Samsung selects only the very best of those students to work there. I'm just curious to find out what it takes to produce the best smartphones money can buy. Individuals or management or just the proper mix of the two? Is Apple really doomed without Steve Jobs making the product decisions?

Your shitty trolling has really gotten tiresome. Who the hell said that Apple is attempting to refresh the iPhone more than once a year, and can't? Obviously it's a choice they make. Who would it benefit to shit out a new phone every 2 months, or having a massive phone lineup? Apple? No. Developers? No. Consumers? No. It's not a contest about who can ship the most phone models every year. This is nothing new, phone companies have had hundreds of models and product lines far before the iPhone was ever released, and yet the iPhone is the most successful and popular phone on the planet, by far. There is zero reason to update the phone multiple times a year or create multiple meaningless product lines. Creates confusion, inefficiencies, and is a massive headache for developers.  Yet another concern-trolling post from you. 
    anton zuykovmagman1979tycho_macuserwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 38
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    They must use a dozen smartphone teams compared to one Apple iPhone team
    Too bad none of those teams was assigned a task of developing and checking batteries.
    Also, number of teams tells nothing, unless you know how effective they are at what they are doing.
    It is quite clear that Sammy is only efficient at marketing BS and numbers on paper. But when the time comes on DELIVERING, they fall short...hence, shitty sales of a supposedly "best" product.

watto_cobra