Apple began "Project Purple" because Steve Jobs hated Microsoft exec, says Scott Forstall

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    originalg said:
    Only for Apple to eventually emulate Microsoft - and Samsung - to add the stylus to the iPad anyway ...
    Or whatever company created the Newton
    The Newton that Steve Jobs killed.
    It deserved to be killed because it was a poor implementation and had massive problems recognizing handwriting.   I also don't think it sold very well.   But that's not the point.  The point is that Apple developed a device with a stylus long before Microsoft and perhaps in part because of that experience, they created the iPhone and iPads that didn't need a stylus.   

There were also some conceptual issues.   Apple was desperate for content for the Newton.   They contacted the company I worked for because we had content they wanted which was a trade publication in the media industry.   So we went out to Apple and sat down with their execs (I no longer remember who we met with), but when we analyzed how many people subscribed to the print and how many of those needed to read the publication on screen, presumably because they were at remote locations but wanted to keep up with the trade news and how many of those were likely to buy a Newton, it was some ridiculously tiny number and even Apple admitted there was no point in pursuing a deal.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 40
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    zoetmb said:
    originalg said:
    Only for Apple to eventually emulate Microsoft - and Samsung - to add the stylus to the iPad anyway ...
    It deserved to be killed because it was a poor implementation and had massive problems recognizing handwriting.   I also don't think it sold very well.   But that's not the point.  The point is that Apple developed a device with a stylus long before Microsoft and perhaps in part because of that experience, they created the iPhone and iPads that didn't need a stylus.   

There were also some conceptual issues.   Apple was desperate for content for the Newton.   They contacted the company I worked for because we had content they wanted which was a trade publication in the media industry.   So we went out to Apple and sat down with their execs (I no longer remember who we met with), but when we analyzed how many people subscribed to the print and how many of those needed to read the publication on screen, presumably because they were at remote locations but wanted to keep up with the trade news and how many of those were likely to buy a Newton, it was some ridiculously tiny number and even Apple admitted there was no point in pursuing a deal.  
    Powered by one of these;

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/messagepad/stats/newton_mp_omp.html

Introduced 1993, some 24 years ago. A pretty impressive achievement at the time,

• Reply 23 of 40
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    avon b7 said:
    mjtomlin said:

Typical ignorant comment.

It had nothing to about HAVING a stylus, it was about NEEDING one to use the device. The entire user interface was designed with that principle in mind. Furthermore, removing the need for a stylus lead to the developement of being able to use multiple fingers for interaction rather than a single point of contact that a stylus would have brought, thus unleashing multi-touch on the masses.

Second I'd also like to point out that Apple had the Newton. A product released some 15 years before the iPhone, that used a stylus as a primary method of input.
    That said, it would not be incorrect to say that the Mini was never on the original roadmap, in fact it was even scoffed at as a possibility.

When it eventually arrived, we saw the interface struggle with finger input. It still does of course but it would be hard to 'sell' a stylus for general use after claiming that a stylus was needed from a design perspective. It would be nice to see more work put into resolving finger input issues (screen overlays, larger temporary screen elements etc) instead of making things 'pretty'.

The target sizes on the Mini are the same as the iPhone.  There isn't any issue there.
    StrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 24 of 40
    vesalius said:
    On a more personal note, Forstall revealed Jobs saved his life in the early 2000s. Around 2004, Forstall contracted a stomach virus from his children. The ailment turned into a much more serious condition that had Forstall constantly vomiting. Over the course of two months, the executive lost some 60 pounds and was hospitalized, with medical staff forced to feed him through a tube.

During the ordeal Jobs would call on a daily basis, checking in and offering non-traditional health advice.

"And one night at about 10 o'clock at night -- this is now months into it -- Steve calls and says, 'I have the best acupuncturist in the world and I'm going to bring her to you tonight and she's going to fix you," Forstall said.

The unconventional treatment worked.

From what I know, This faith is unconventional medicine would unfortunately ultimately contribute to Jobs death. He pursued non-traditional medical treatments for his pancreatic cancer, which was not the aggressive death sentence type until it was too late for traditional medicine to treat it effectively. 
    The difference is that Forstall did get the proper science based medical treatment whereas Jobs waited several months after being diagnosed to get it wasting time. Forstall can attribute his recovery to acupuncture, Jesus, Dungeons and Dragons, or whatever ever he wants but if he had chose to forego the proper medical treatment he probably would have died.
    StrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 25 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Troll trope nonsense, for all the reasons already stated and obvious to begin with. Troll harder, bro. 
  • Reply 26 of 40
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    ``"At some point Steve decided Apple needed us," Forstall said of NeXT. '' BULL-S***! This is one statement I can 100% call Bulls*** on. The initiation into Apple talking to NeXT had nothing to do with Steve, until the talks became serious. I know, I was right there. "It's not one person, or even four people," Forstall said. "It was hundreds and thousands of people who made it happen." Best statement of sincerity made.
    edited June 2017 jony0
  • Reply 27 of 40
    spheric said:
    mrshow said:
    "And one night at about 10 o'clock at night -- this is now months into it -- Steve calls and says, 'I have the best acupuncturist in the world and I'm going to bring her to you tonight and she's going to fix you," Forstall said.
    Yeah, it was the the acupuncture.  #eyeroll
    If you watch Forstall's account of what happened, yep. 
    Regardless of what he said, acupuncture doesn't kill viral infections. It's just another form of woo...
  • Reply 28 of 40
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    mjtomlin said:

It had nothing to about HAVING a stylus, it was about NEEDING one to use the device. The entire user interface was designed with that principle in mind. Furthermore, removing the need for a stylus lead to the developement of being able to use multiple fingers for interaction rather than a single point of contact that a stylus would have brought, thus unleashing multi-touch on the masses.

Second I'd also like to point out that Apple had the Newton. A product released some 15 years before the iPhone, that used a stylus as a primary method of input.
    That said, it would not be incorrect to say that the Mini was never on the original roadmap, in fact it was even scoffed at as a possibility.

When it eventually arrived, we saw the interface struggle with finger input. It still does of course but it would be hard to 'sell' a stylus for general use after claiming that a stylus was needed from a design perspective. It would be nice to see more work put into resolving finger input issues (screen overlays, larger temporary screen elements etc) instead of making things 'pretty'.

The target sizes on the Mini are the same as the iPhone.  There isn't any issue there.
     Yeah was gonna say the same, I don't understand where he is coming from considering the iPhone is smaller than the mini. 

But moving the goalposts on iOS and Apple is what that guy does best, to make his knockoffs seem more appealing than they are. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 29 of 40
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    So does anyone know which exec it was? My money's on Ballmer.
    badmonk
  • Reply 30 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    spheric said:
    mrshow said:
    Regardless of what he said, acupuncture doesn't kill viral infections. It's just another form of woo...
    It killed the nausea. At that point, there was something wrong with his involuntary nervous system. The viral infection had long gone, but done some damage. 

It is not exactly disputed that acupuncture can affect the involuntary nervous system, even if we aren't quite sure how it works.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    ``"At some point Steve decided Apple needed us," Forstall said of NeXT. '' BULL-S***! This is one statement I can 100% call Bulls*** on. The initiation into Apple talking to NeXT had nothing to do with Steve, until the talks became serious. I know, I was right there. "It's not one person, or even four people," Forstall said. "It was hundreds and thousands of people who made it happen." Best statement of sincerity made.
    Gee, should we take the word of Scott or a SQA engineer at NeXT that transitioned to the lofty corporate heights of Tech Support at Apple about how the transition from NeXT to Apple happened.  This one is a toughie...
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Apple had a stylus long before either of those two knuckleheads (see: Newton).
  • Reply 33 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple had a stylus long before either of those two knuckleheads (see: Newton).
    Rand tablet, circa 1964. . . 

The tech is still being perfected as evidenced by the Apple Pencil. 
  • Reply 34 of 40
    avon b7 said:
    mjtomlin said:

Hi Avon B7, I am curious as to where you got the information that the iPad Mini struggled with finger input? I have both the original Mini which I have passed down to my daughter who uses it every day, and a Mini2 that I still use extremely frequently and neither of which has ever had any issue with finger input. The A5 was also used in the iPad2 and iPhone 4S, If it was powerful enough for the iPad2 the Mini falling in between should and in my experience have no issues at all. On a side note the Mini is the only iPad I have personally found usable, so here is to hoping it is not dead.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    originalg said:
    Um... so? Do you have a real point you're trying to make vis-a-vis the article?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    anome said:
    So does anyone know which exec it was? My money's on Ballmer.
    I second that guess.  Oh Ballmer...how I miss your arrogant misguided ways.

If only you worked for Google....
  • Reply 37 of 40
    spheric said:
    spheric said:
    mrshow said:
    It killed the nausea. At that point, there was something wrong with his involuntary nervous system. The viral infection had long gone, but done some damage. 

It is not exactly disputed that acupuncture can affect the involuntary nervous system, even if we aren't quite sure how it works.
    Actually, the issue is called "gastroparesis" and is sometimes the result of a virus that has cleared the system.  The viral infection causes the causes the muscles and nerves of the stomach to shut down temporarily (a normal function to expel the virus).  What happens is that after the virus is no longer in the system, the body does not re-engage normal function.  As a result, one experiences what Scott experienced.  The acupuncture would have stimulated the nerves and muscles of the stomach to begin working normally again.  
    spheric
  • Reply 38 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    mjtomlin said:

You response doesn't make any sense.

No one in this thread even made a comment about the Mini, and you certainly don't appear to have an understanding of multitouch. A stylus isn't ever going to be for "general use" on a multitouch device. The fact that Apple has created a stylus for precision input requiring low latency, tilt, and pressure, and only to date on the iPad Pro, demonstrates that Apple applies a great deal of effort to underlying technology before release in a product. Your comment about "resolving finger input issues" would have more impact if you didn't personally have this adoration for all things Android OS that has, to date, been unable to even field an iPad Pro competitor, let alone even an iPad competitor.

It's appears to be just a fountain of words that you, yet again, spewed out to create a wonderful word salad, that unfortunately, smells of poo.

Here'a a link to the video of the event, from experts who were there;

As I don't use an Android tablet I can't really comment on that. I do use Minis and an iPad Air 2 so I can comment on those and as the subject of stylus input has emerged in this thread I can comment on that, which I have.

You chose to ignore my point. The Mini, which Jobs poo pooed originally, came with a series of design problems that made finger input very clunky as it was designed to look nice instead of being practical.

I still remember the frustration of trying to use the text manipulation options in Pages, on miniscule interface elements and packed into a series of levels because no one saw that that they were way too small on the Mini or that the screen real estate was really there to be had (and plenty of it)  but simply wasn't being used. 

Hitting those elements on a moving train wasn't a lot of fun.

• Reply 39 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    mjtomlin said:

No. The Mini has screen space the iPhone doesn't have. The interface elements on the Mini wasted space by not making good use of what was available. That's the issue. Not the target size.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    mjtomlin said:

No. The Mini has screen space the iPhone doesn't have. The interface elements on the Mini wasted space by not making good use of what was available. That's the issue. Not the target size.
    Wrong again.  The mini uses the same layout as all other iPads (i.e. No "wasted" space), not the iPhone layout.  Despite the smaller screen the target sizes of the iPad UI on the mini meets Apple HIG guidelines and are physically no smaller than UI elements found on the iPhone.