Apple releases first iOS 11 public beta to testers

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2017
Apple on Monday released the first public beta of iOS 11, offering iPhone and iPad with extra test devices the opportunity to sample the upcoming operating system prior to its debut this fall.

Initially made available to developers earlier this month, iOS 11 includes a bevy of user interface refinements and new features.

The most notable changes come in the way of backend enhancements to Siri, Apple Pay, Photos and other first-party apps and services. For example, Siri gains new smarts and a revamped voice response system, while Maps incorporates a Do Not Disturb feature for safe driving and assets for indoor mapping.

Apple has revamped the App Store for the first time since its launch in 2008. The refreshed version uses an Apple Music-esque tab-based design to promote popular apps, games, videos and curated content.

On the UI side, Control Center has been completely redesigned with a panel system boasting a wide array of app and system controls.

Apple placed a heavy focus on iPad with the iOS 11, integrating a number of new features and expanded functionality to bring its tablet hardware lineup more in line with offerings from Microsoft. For example, Apple is using multitouch technology to power a new dock with drag-and-drop functionality, addressing a major pain point for iPad users. The company also includes deeper Apple Pencil integration, a specialized Files app for file management, powerful augmented reality features and more.

As with any beta software release, it is recommended that users refrain from installing iOS 11 on daily use devices. Aside from being unstable, Apple's first beta releases often lack optimizations for continuous portable use, meaning they sap battery life at a much more rapid pace than fully vetted versions.

Those interested in registering their iPhone or iPad for testing can do so via the Apple Beta Software Program website.

Make sure to check out AppleInsider's "Inside iOS 11" series for more information on all the new features Apple packed in to its latest operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Does it incorporate the new Apple File System?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    hodar said:
    AFS is already in iOS 10. AFS is new on the Mac in High Sierra.
    netmage
  • Reply 3 of 21
    hodar said:
    AFS was implemented with IOS 10.3 :), so yes, IOS 11 has AFS.... Anyone care to test and report speed?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Hmm, it's weird. I went to software update, only to be told that the 10.3.3 beta 4 was ready for download. So I thought that, ok, it wants to install that, and then I'll go back for the 11 update. But so far, no dice. I keep being told that my software is up to date.

oh well, I'll try again later.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    melgross said:
    Hmm, it's weird. I went to software update, only to be told that the 10.3.3 beta 4 was ready for download. So I thought that, ok, it wants to install that, and then I'll go back for the 11 update. But so far, no dice. I keep being told that my software is up to date.

You need to accept new terms and conditions for Public Beta iOS 11 and download a new profile.
    Go here from your iDevice

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

• Reply 6 of 21
    melgross said:

You need to accept new terms and conditions for Public Beta iOS 11 and download a new profile.
    Go here from your iDevice

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Yeah, I figured it out.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    melgross said:

You need to download the new iOS 11 profile certificate. Just login to apple dev site from your iPhone. Go to download and choose iOS 11. It roll download a profile to your iPhone and accept. Reboot. Check updates again and you should see it.  
  • Reply 8 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    i’ve been running it on my new ipad pro for a while. it’s def a beta and i get some crashes, and a couple things don’t work like content blockers and the Starz app. but i like the new files app and the new dock quite a bit. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    i’ve been running it on my new ipad pro for a while. it’s def a beta and i get some crashes, and a couple things don’t work like content blockers and the Starz app. but i like the new files app and the new dock quite a bit. 
    It bugs me that the files app doesn’t let you access or search local media saved on your iPad. I have tons of videos saved to my iPad via iTunes and I’d love to be able to access them via the Files app. 
  • Reply 10 of 21
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Till now found just one crashing app - TomTom, which I hate anyways :)
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I've had a couple of crashes and a weird one where apps wouldn't close but all those came right on their own.

I'm enjoying some of the new features like multiple level flashlight, screen recording, Do Not Disturb While Driving (not that that matters much for me as my job involves riding a motorcycle and I can respond to texts while it's in my jacket pocket).

I like the new look of the calculator and Control Centre is awesome.

Really looking forward to macOS High Sierra.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 21
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    It bugs me that the files app doesn’t let you access or search local media saved on your iPad. I have tons of videos saved to my iPad via iTunes and I’d love to be able to access them via the Files app. 
    You can probably search them using spotlight (or whatever it is called on IOS).
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Several things I’m not thrilled bout. Whether they’re bugs or just changes, I don’t know, but I’ve reported them, just as all of you are reporting the things you’re finding, right?

one is the pull down bookmark folders. Before, it extended most all the way down the screen. Now, it’s very short, so you have to scroll with it that short window. Just five items are directly shown. VERY annoying. I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why they did that. I hope it’s a bug, or temporary.

two is the new dock. While, overall, it’s a very good improvement, there are two problems. One is the]at the names of folders in the dock are no longer there. Neither are names for the apps that’s you’ve had open which sit on the right side. If you don’t recognize the tiny app thumbnails in a folder, or remember the order in which they are, you won’t know which folder they are. Same thing with apps. I hope that’s a bug too.

the second problem with it is that you can’t seem to drop an app into a folder when it’s in the dock, as we used to. You have to drag the folder out, drop the item in, and drag the folder back.

some other odd things with dragging and dropping. If you hold apps down for a short time, you can drag them. If you click on the x sign when an app is in a folder, it disappears from the folder, and appears at the back of the apps that are not in folders - sometimes. Otherwise, you can delete them as usual. Weird bug.

but holding them doesn’t seem to do anything. If you let the app go, it goes right back to where it was, unless you drag them out from the top or the bottom.

there are a number of other small things that are odd right now.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Just went and grabbed the App Store to put into the dock, and the iPad did a quick reboot, with me being required to enter my password. When it came back, the app was where it started. I did it again, and it worked. This is the second time this happened with me dragging something into the dock.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    levo31levo31 Posts: 6member
    It looks pretty usable to me even in this beta. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 16 of 21
    themacman said:
    melgross said:

You need to download the new iOS 11 profile certificate. Just login to apple dev site from your iPhone. Go to download and choose iOS 11. It roll download a profile to your iPhone and accept. Reboot. Check updates again and you should see it.  
    Yes, I have to delete and reinstall the profile.  That was the easy part.  Downloaded iOS 11 public beta,then the fun started.  It completely bricked up iPad 2 air.  
    Went back to iOS 10.3.2 and deleted beta profile.  
    This is the 2 nd time Apple betas have been found to be extremely buddy.  Last time it was my iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Neat, as always, iOS11(beta) is a very nice update. Already liking it hugely. Tons discovered and no doubt much more to find. Great job Apple
  • Reply 18 of 21
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'm happy that videos seem to show my little iPad Mini 4 getting a good number of the new features with regard to dock, dragging and dropping, multiple apps open, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Well, I’m hoping that this is just an early bug, but the stop tracking across websites doesn’t work. I was suspicious of that for the first few days, but I couldn’t be sure. But now I am.

last evening, I bought a pair of sunglasses from Overstock.com.  Now, I’m getting sunglasses Ads from them everywhere I go, including here. I’m thinking of going back to my blocking software again.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Is the build number for the Public Beta the same as Developer Beta 2?