Showdown: Apple's 2015 iMac vs. 2017 iMac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    The 960 Pro NVMe is in no way better than the drive in the iMac from an operational standpoint. I feel like we've been over this before.

Those are actually measured speeds for the Apple drive. The Samsung drive is notably slower than "up to" claimed speeds out here in the real world.
    Thanks for the information. What are then the "real world" read/write speeds of Apple SSD 2TB? What are the ones of Samsung 960 Pro?

See for instance what users of the latter say:

- "This drive is remarkable.... It's 3200mbs read and 2300write is blazing fast"
    - "I'm getting 3200mb/s read and 1900mb/s write speeds!"
    - "I get the posted speeds of over 3,000 MB/s read and 2,000 MB/s write"
    - "Getting 3487 MB/s on the Read and 2077 MB/s on the write"
    - "approximately 3000 read / 2000 write"
    - "reads over 3050 MB/s and nearly 2100 Mb/s write!"
    - "Benchmarking shows 3300 read, 2200 write"
    at
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 22 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Update previous post (I cannot edit it) from same link above:

- "my boot time is less then 3 seconds"
    - "boot is like 2 secs"
    - "My computer boots up in about 5 seconds"

Also:

- "I especially like the 'total writes' specification; it bodes long life"

Related to last quote above from main Amazon product:
    Seller Warranty Description: 5 Years/1200TBW
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-PRO-Internal-MZ-V6P2T0BW/dp/B01LY3Y9PH

Yet Apple offers a single year for iMac (!!!):
    Limited Warranty and Service: one-year limited warranty.
    https://www.apple.com/imac/specs

So, the best would be to easily access and upgrade internals (as can be done with RAM on iMac Retina 5K 27-inch mid 2017, including SSD, buy cheapest configuration for any internal from Apple and upgrade for better price and whopping five years warranty in case of such SSD from other manufacturer. Likewise, other manufacturers like OWC-MacSales or Crucial offer much cheaper top-quality RAM with lifetime warranty. Do not get me wrong. I love the Mac, but Apple should not behave like that.

BTW (to Admins): Command click links on these AppleInsider forms from Safari on Mac (latest versions) does not go to a new tab, but replaces contents, losing all written text! No problem on AppleInsider articles, but only on its forum as said.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Grant_ThoresonGrant_Thoreson Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Quick question: I can buy: 2015 DEMO 21.5" 2.8GHz Quad Core i5 from Staples - $999 Canadian (+$100 for 2 year warranty) OR 2017 REFURB. 21.5" 2.3GHz Dual Core i5 from Apple Store - $1179 Canadian. (1 yr. warranty included.) Which would you advise for normal use? (No gaming or heavy graphics usage.) Thanks
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Quick question: I can buy: 2015 DEMO 21.5" 2.8GHz Quad Core i5 from Staples - $999 Canadian (+$100 for 2 year warranty) OR 2017 REFURB. 21.5" 2.3GHz Dual Core i5 from Apple Store - $1179 Canadian. (1 yr. warranty included.) Which would you advise for normal use? (No gaming or heavy graphics usage.) Thanks
    The extra $200 gets you a faster machine with a better GPU.  That SHOULD allow it to be useable to you for a year or two longer than the older model... I'd think it would definitely be worth the extra $200 (if you have it.)

edited December 2017