Red announces $1200 Hydrogen One smartphone with holographic screen coming in 2018

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 654member
    zimmie said:
     lenticular lens array.
     Jannard said specifically that it is not lenticular.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 62
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    1983 said:
    Well this could be a game changer, and might take the wind out of the iPhone 8 launch...if it works as advertised.
    Yes, the rumor mill has already declared the iPhone 8 a disappointing failure.
    pscooter63SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    1983 said:
    Well this could be a game changer, and might take the wind out of the iPhone 8 launch...if it works as advertised.
    Red's an amazing company - many high end production houses use them exclusively - they are now producing 8k video cameras! But an Android cellphone with holographic display………… unnecessary, and certainly not a game changer in the best sense of the term. Nevertheless, this will surely be a wait and see technology that many of us will be keeping our eyes on. Now if their new phone had some of their exceptional Red video tech built in, that would be a game changer!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 62
    paxman said:
    This sound interesting. What is the OS? I love the naming of the device & services. I am tempted to say Apple should be buying them but keeping them fully autonomous. If Red will be the high end development platform it sounds as if there is some interesting technology that could trickle down to the old iPhone. What's the value of the company?
    Not a company that Apple would likely be interested in. They are a top of the line 4 & 8k video camera manufacturer. I don't see this as a fit for Apple. And, as stated in the article, it is an AndroidOS.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    1983 said:
    Red's an amazing company - many high end production houses use them exclusively - they are now producing 8k video cameras! But an Android cellphone with holographic display………… unnecessary, and certainly not a game changer in the best sense of the term. Nevertheless, this will surely be a wait and see technology that many of us will be keeping our eyes on. Now if their new phone had some of their exceptional Red video tech built in, that would be a game changer!
    It's sounds as if this is a device that fits within the Red production workflow and ecosystem. Anybody outside of that likely isn't going to get much benefit. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 62
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I bought a titanium model...

I've met Jim a few times and have made a TON of money off of his cameras (which were also thought to be a scam).

I hate that it's Android - I'm not giving up my iPhone, but if it's JUST a remote for one of their newer cameras, it's already worth it. I suppose they didn't have a choice for the OS.

Jim is a billionaire many times over, so he's not just trying to get a few bucks and disappear. He's a passionate image freak and puts his money and time where his mouth is.

Worst case you get your money back. Red has always offered a no-questions-asked refund on the spot when ordering their products. They go above and beyond what even Apple does for their customers.
    Right... That's why they produce a load of shoddy crap as marketing material, care for their customers...
    That's certainly not the proper way to launch a consumer level product unless you want it to fail.
    Maybe they should have looked into that huh, seems to want to ride their reputation with very high end equipment by selling high margin smartphones.
    edited July 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    rweiser said:
    They can't even produce a PDF (http://downloads.red.com/hydrogen.pdf) that doesn't look pixelated on my rMBP display, so please forgive me if I'm skeptical of their display technology prowess.
    http://downloads.red.com/hydrogen.pdf

- copy is not text
    - sloppy bullets (two different sizes)
    - copy bizarrely switches to the first-person for one paragraph (pricing) – who is “I”?

...all of which scream unprofessional, bogus. Granted they’re a real company and do good video business, but if their first ever, introductory phone announcement sucks this badly it doesn’t impress me. It’s the attention to details that matter, and they aren’t present even in this simplest of tasks (producing a single-page product announcement document). 
    edited July 2017 dysamoriawatto_cobrapscooter63palomine
  • Reply 28 of 62

I've met Jim a few times and have made a TON of money off of his cameras (which were also thought to be a scam).

I hate that it's Android - I'm not giving up my iPhone, but if it's JUST a remote for one of their newer cameras, it's already worth it. I suppose they didn't have a choice for the OS.

Jim is a billionaire many times over, so he's not just trying to get a few bucks and disappear. He's a passionate image freak and puts his money and time where his mouth is.

Worst case you get your money back. Red has always offered a no-questions-asked refund on the spot when ordering their products. They go above and beyond what even Apple does for their customers.
    He's right. RED makes the best tech/machines on the planet. Most people who try RED never ever go back. RED has a camera that is over 5 years old that still is way ahead of its time as companies cannot keep up with their technology. Jim was the creator of Oakley. He knows what he's doing. In fact, you're probably reading this on your Oakley's. RED is an addicting drug. If the iPhone 8 flops...it could be game over.  My wife knows how much I love and talk about my RED cameras, and when I told her they have a phone coming, she immediately agreed to switching just so she could get in on the RED action.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,496member
    paxman said:
    This sound interesting. What is the OS?
    If you read the actual article, you'll discover the answer to your question in the very first sentence of the text.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member

He's right. RED makes the best tech/machines on the planet. Most people who try RED never ever go back. RED has a camera that is over 5 years old that still is way ahead of its time as companies cannot keep up with their technology. Jim was the creator of Oakley. He knows what he's doing. In fact, you're probably reading this on your Oakley's. RED is an addicting drug. If the iPhone 8 flops...it could be game over.  My wife knows how much I love and talk about my RED cameras, and when I told her they have a phone coming, she immediately agreed to switching just so she could get in on the RED action.
    Yeah, sure. iPhone flops and this thing swoops in. Got it. 

And FYI, I’m not reading this on my Oakley’s, whatever that means. 
    tmaywatto_cobrapscooter63anantksundaram
  • Reply 31 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    paxman said:
    What is the OS? 
    It says Android on its website.
    And in the second sentence in this story.
    :smiley:  oh, ok. But I did read the story. Just got blinded by the promise of bells and whistles. Or did you add it afterwards? C'mon, you did, didn't you? Anyway, It should be running on IOS.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    paxman said:
    paxman said:
    What is the OS? 
    It says Android on its website.
    And in the second sentence in this story.
    :smiley:  oh, ok. But I did read the story. Just got blinded by the promise of bells and whistles. Or did you add it afterwards? C'mon, you did, didn't you? Anyway, It should be running on IOS.
    Nope, sorry. First draft. Seemed like an important point.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Holographic... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....
  • Reply 34 of 62
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    While the source URL seems real, this has an air of fake about it - or wishful thinking. It feels like an internal concept document, not a release... just hasn't been through the usual design filters IMHO. But RED.com is full of reference to it...

Now RED do make very interesting cameras, though after they dragged us all into the digital cinema space a decade ago, ARRI has surely built a significant lead in high end cinema. But if this is real, I'll have one thanks.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 35 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    zimmie said:
    kaipher said:
    Hold on a sec... glasses free holographic display!?  Why is this not worldwide news?  Why is this buried as a bullet point on some first-time phone manufacturer?  Where can I order said technology on a desktop monitor?  Is this the same fake glasses free tech that Nintendo used (camera tracking faces, and shifting display to present the appropriate perspective)?
    I don't recall Nintendo using any kind of face tracking for their 3D. Specifically, the 3DS uses something vaguely like a lenticular lens called a parallax barrier. The main screen's real, physical pixel dimensions are 800x240, and the parallax barrier blocks half of the pixels for each eye. As a result, each eye gets a 400x240 pixel image. Since each eye only sees half of the pixels, the image can be interlaced vertically to create the 3D effect with only the screen.

This is almost certainly going to involve either a parallax barrier or a lenticular lens array.
    Jannard has already stated it isn't a lenticular lens. Personally, I'm at a loss to imagine what they could possibly be using. He knows how to get attention, but their cameras are all leading edge stuff, so I suspect something really cool will be shown eventually.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    dysamoria said:
    Holographic... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....
    Not just "holographic", but "holographic multi-view" which sounds like a bit of a cheat. But then again, Microsoft calls the images on their A/R headset "holograms", which they obviously are not.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    If they had anything remotely resembling such a breakthrough, they would have quietly gone to Apple and Google, started a bidding war between the two, and walked away with a gazillion buckeroos.
    Why? RED to the professional camera world is the same as Apple is to the smartphone market.
    In other words, they are quite capable of innovating themselves and getting all the money without selling their tech to someone else.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    rweiser said:
    They can't even produce a PDF (http://downloads.red.com/hydrogen.pdf) that doesn't look pixelated on my rMBP display, so please forgive me if I'm skeptical of their display technology prowess.
    Are you sure it wasn't 3D pixelated?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 62
    rweiser said:
    Are you sure it wasn't 3D pixelated?

edited July 2017 anton zuykov
  • Reply 40 of 62
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sog35 said:
    3D will only take off when we don't need to wear stupid glasses.

But this sounds like pure vapor ware

I think the big mistake was making active and passive 3D for consumer use. That confused a lot of people. With 3D essentially being dead for home TV's, I wonder if they are still trying to develop glasses free 3D?